Strength of Carbon Fiber Seatposts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meehs, Apr 7, 2004.

1. meehs

meehs New Member

I need to get a new seatpost for my road bike. I purchased the bike used and the post had been cut by the previous owner to a length that is just not quite long enough for me. It's really close but it's just a little too close for comfort.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the general concensus is regarding the strength of carbon posts. I'm not sure I'm going to get a carbon post but it's a consideration. I'm 6'4" tall and I weigh-in at anywhere from 190-200 pounds depending upon how early or late in the season I weigh myself.

What are your thoughts on the strength og carbon fiber seatposts?

Tags:

2. dwatson

dwatson New Member

You should have no problem with a carbon seat post, as long as you get a brand name. I have a guy that rides with me who is over 250 on the Easton post.

3. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Most modern carbon posts are plenty tough. The USE Alien carbon post, one of the very lightest available for any use, has seen heavy use by pro MTB teams.

Get a reputable one and follow the minimum insertion and seatbinder tension instructions correctly, and you'll be fine.

4. meehs

meehs New Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll give one a try. The part about the 250 pound guy using one was very reassuring. I don't know if I buy into all the hype about CF posts increasing ride comfort but it's worth trying one. Anyway, I like the look!

5. fushman

fushman New Member

its good youre not going to replace it and not ride that other post. just go with a thompson cant go wrong dont bother with a carbon post all the bad stories are enough not to especially for a big man