Strength of frame without chainstay bridge

Russell Seaton

Guest
How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame? I
have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay bridge.
The frame is welded Kinesis 7005 Superlight butted aluminum
tubing, according to the sticker. Chainstays are 17" long.
Cantilever brakes will be used. 130mm rear OLD spacing.

I know mounting a rear fender will require some
ingenuity. But with Blackburn P-clips at the rear
dropouts and the seatstay bridge, I figure the fender
should be fairly well secured. Wire between the fender
and chainstays behind the bottom bracket will probably be
enough to hold the fender in place.

Russell Seaton wrote:

> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame? I
> have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay bridge.
> The frame is welded Kinesis 7005 Superlight butted
> aluminum tubing, according to the sticker. Chainstays are
> 17" long. Cantilever brakes will be used. 130mm rear OLD
> spacing.
>
> I know mounting a rear fender will require some ingenuity.
> But with Blackburn P-clips at the rear dropouts and the
> seatstay bridge, I figure the fender should be fairly well
> secured. Wire between the fender and chainstays behind the
> bottom bracket will probably be enough to hold the fender
> in place.

Effectively the chainstays are longer, so the rear end
is more flexible side-to-side (not a good thing). It's
occasionally done on racing frames with really short
rear ends, but I'm puzzled as to why it was done on a
touring bike.

Originally posted by Russell Seaton
How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame? I
have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay bridge.
The frame is welded Kinesis 7005 Superlight butted aluminum
tubing, according to the sticker. Chainstays are 17" long.
Cantilever brakes will be used. 130mm rear OLD spacing.

I know mounting a rear fender will require some
ingenuity. But with Blackburn P-clips at the rear
dropouts and the seatstay bridge, I figure the fender
should be fairly well secured. Wire between the fender
and chainstays behind the bottom bracket will probably be
enough to hold the fender in place.

I wonder if they skipped the bridge due to welding it past the thick part of the butting.
I have a ti touring bicycle with 17.5" chain stays. The bridge makes the back end much stiffer. OLD is set at 132.5 mm and putting in a 135 mm OLD wheel takes a little "grunting".
I would think that there is a seatstay bridgeon your bicycle, but you may still want to use a "Brake Booster".
Fender mounting is always a challenge to make them secure, neat, and provide just the right clearance around the entire tire.
I wish I could show some manufacturers what a fendered bicycle looks like with big touring tires. ... then put some quality racks on.
Builders like Bruce Gordon and Waterford's Adventure Cycle 1900 seem to have this figured out... and some others do to,,, but many don't yet have a clue.
Maybe a couple of properly sized "P-clips" with a 90 degree twist would secure the front part of your fender. Otherwise some zip-ties may do the job. If you use zip-ties, get the best quality ones you can find, and take some spares with you.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:01:08 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message
>news:[email protected]...
>> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame?
>
>It doesn't.

Dear Peter,

Russell may have been hoping for an explanation, too.

As I understand things, the rear section of a bicycle is a
tetrahedron (two triangles sharing a two common sides, the
seat tube and the axle). It's a darned clever arrangement in
that it's about as strong as possible.

Like the brake-bridge between the seat-stays, the chain-stay
bridge may not add any strength in terms of resisting
twisting of the rear structure.

If you google for jobst and tetrahedron, you should find
some better explanations like this:

s.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1110777358d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=MDw5b.18156%24dk4.586972%40typhoon.sonic.net

or

http://tinyurl.com/3957v

Carl Fogel

On 2004-06-26, daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wonder if they skipped the bridge due to welding it past
> the thick part of the butting.

AFAIK, chainstays aren't butted. At least they're not on
the Reynolds
531/753 Isiwata, Tange, and Columbus steel tube sets I've
worked with in the past.

--

-John ([email protected])

<[email protected]> wrote
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:01:08 GMT, "Peter Cole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote >
>> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame?
> >
> >It doesn't.
> >

> Dear Peter,
>
> Russell may have been hoping for an explanation, too.
>
> As I understand things, the rear section of a bicycle is a
> tetrahedron (two triangles sharing a two common sides, the
> seat tube and the axle). It's a darned clever arrangement
> in that it's about as strong as possible.
>
> Like the brake-bridge between the seat-stays, the chain-
> stay bridge may not add any strength in terms of resisting
> twisting of the rear structure.
>
> If you google for jobst and tetrahedron, you should find
> some better explanations like this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3957v

Carl,

You're making things unnecessarily complicated. There's no
need to drag in tetrahedrons or brake bridges. Ignoring all
that (safely) for the question at hand, the chainstay bridge
is simply too close to the BB (which is performing the same
support function) to make any difference, even if there were
a load present (which there isn't). It gives you a place to
mount fenders.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:54:37 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:01:08 GMT, "Peter Cole"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >"Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote >
> >> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the
> >> frame?
>> >
>> >It doesn't.
>> >

>> Dear Peter,
>>
>> Russell may have been hoping for an explanation, too.
>>
>> As I understand things, the rear section of a bicycle is
>> a tetrahedron (two triangles sharing a two common sides,
>> the seat tube and the axle). It's a darned clever
>> arrangement in that it's about as strong as possible.
>>
>> Like the brake-bridge between the seat-stays, the chain-
>> stay bridge may not add any strength in terms of
>> resisting twisting of the rear structure.
>>
>> If you google for jobst and tetrahedron, you should find
>> some better explanations like this:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3957v
>
>Carl,
>
>You're making things unnecessarily complicated. There's no
>need to drag in tetrahedrons or brake bridges. Ignoring all
>that (safely) for the question at hand, the chainstay
>bridge is simply too close to the BB (which is performing
>the same support function) to make any difference, even if
>there were a load present (which there isn't). It gives you
>a place to mount fenders.

Dear Peter,

I'm not sure, but you may be mistaken. If I understand the
theory, it doesn't matter where you add a bridge--it doesn't
increase the rigidity of the tetrahedron.\

That is, it doesn't matter how close the bridge is to the
end. if you took the wheel out and welded a bridge halfway
up from the axle between the chain-stays or the seat-stays,
it wouldn't improve rigidity in terms of bicycling loads.

The tubes suffer only compression and tension in this
design, neither of which is causing the seat-stays or the
chain-stays to move sideways in a bending movement.

Or so I hear.

Carl Fogel

Russell Seaton writes:

> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame? I
> have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay bridge.
> The frame is welded Kinesis 7005 Superlight butted
> aluminum tubing, according to the sticker. Chainstays are
> 17" long. Cantilever brakes will be used. 130mm rear OLD
> spacing.

The chainstay bridge has two purposes, attaching a mud guard
and preventing the rear tire from getting stuck in the
narrows when pushed forward from horizontal dropouts. I
recall watching a rider try to remove a rear wheel by
opening the QR and knocking the wheel forward with the hand
only to have it jam between the chainstays with no bridge.
Yanking it out of engagement put it back in the dropouts
that had the typical gouged retentive grooves from the axle
nuts. This went back and forth a couple of times before the
wheel came out with more careful manipulation.

Depending on frame size and geometry, the bridge doesn't
even serve that purpose. It is never structurally necessary,
the rear triangle actually being a tetrahedron, the stiffest
solid body available.

> I know mounting a rear fender will require some ingenuity.
> But with Blackburn P-clips at the rear dropouts and the
> seatstay bridge, I figure the fender should be fairly well
> secured. Wire between the fender and chainstays behind the
> bottom bracket will probably be enough to hold the fender
> in place.

I am not visualizing what you mean.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:54:37 GMT, "Peter Cole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> ><[email protected]> wrote

> >> Dear Peter,
> >>
> >> Russell may have been hoping for an explanation, too.
> >>
> >> As I understand things, the rear section of a bicycle
> >> is a tetrahedron (two triangles sharing a two common
> >> sides, the seat tube and the axle). It's a darned
> >> clever arrangement in that it's about as strong as
> >> possible.
> >>
> >> Like the brake-bridge between the seat-stays, the chain-
> >> stay bridge may not add any strength in terms of
> >> resisting twisting of the rear structure.
> >>
> >> If you google for jobst and tetrahedron, you should
> >> find some better explanations like this:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/3957v
> >
> >Carl,
> >
> >You're making things unnecessarily complicated. There's
> >no need to drag in tetrahedrons or brake bridges.
> >Ignoring all that (safely) for the question
at
> >hand, the chainstay bridge is simply too close to the BB
> >(which is
performing
> >the same support function) to make any difference, even
> >if there were a
load
> >present (which there isn't). It gives you a place to
> >mount fenders.
> >

> Dear Peter,
>
> I'm not sure, but you may be mistaken. If I understand the
> theory, it doesn't matter where you add a bridge--it
> doesn't increase the rigidity of the tetrahedron.\

I think you're missing my point entirely -- why don't we
give this a pass?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:49:46 GMT, [email protected]
wrote:

>Russell Seaton writes:
>
>> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame?
>> I have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay
>> bridge.
>
>Depending on frame size and geometry, the bridge doesn't
>even serve that purpose. It is never structurally
>necessary, the rear triangle actually being a tetrahedron,
>the stiffest solid body available.
>
>Jobst Brandt [email protected]

We've been here before. The rear triangle isn't a
tetrahedron, because if it was the chainstays would meet in
the centre of the BB shell. The BB shell, chainstays and
rear axle form a trapezium, which is deformed by axial loads
from the rear wheel. Bracing this trapezium at some point
distant from, but parallel to, the BB axis will cause this
deforming tendency to be resisted by a bending moment in the
chainstays, whereas without the bridge the entire load must
be resisted by the BB/Chainstay junction attemting to change
it's angle. For this reason, bridgeless designs usually rely
on reinforcement of this junction, such as gussets, extended
BB shell or, in the case of lugged steel designs, longer and
heavier points on the BB shell. Admittedly, the seatstays
(also braced, by the brake bridge) also resist this load,
but anybody who thinks the chainstay bridge serves no
structural function should have a look at the swingarm of
the nearest high performance motorcycle.

It is possible to properly design a bicycle without a
chainstay bridge, and I do not presume to know which
approach is ultimately "better", by whatever test you happen
to mean by better; this will vary according to geometry and
material choice, but in general if a designer has chosen to
use a bridge, it's likely to be there for structural
reasons; it certainly isn't required for tyre restraint or
mudguard mounting on my track or dirt-jump bikes, both of
which enjoy the structural benefit of substantial chainstay
bridges (and, for that matter, "brake" bridges, even though
one is braked by the sprocket and the other by a disc)

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:48:57 GMT, Kinky Cowboy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:49:46 GMT,
>[email protected] wrote:
>
>>Russell Seaton writes:
>>
>>> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame?
>>> I have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay
>>> bridge.
>>
>>Depending on frame size and geometry, the bridge doesn't
>>even serve that purpose. It is never structurally
>>necessary, the rear triangle actually being a tetrahedron,
>>the stiffest solid body available.
>>
>>Jobst Brandt [email protected]
>

>We've been here before. The rear triangle isn't a
>tetrahedron, because if it was the chainstays would meet in
>the centre of the BB shell. The BB shell, chainstays and
>rear axle form a trapezium, which is deformed by axial
>loads from the rear wheel. Bracing this trapezium at some
>point distant from, but parallel to, the BB axis will cause
>this deforming tendency to be resisted by a bending moment
>in the chainstays, whereas without the bridge the entire
>load must be resisted by the BB/Chainstay junction
>attemting to change it's angle. For this reason, bridgeless
>designs usually rely on reinforcement of this junction,
>such as gussets, extended BB shell or, in the case of
>lugged steel designs, longer and heavier points on the BB
>shell. Admittedly, the seatstays (also braced, by the brake
>bridge) also resist this load, but anybody who thinks the
>chainstay bridge serves no structural function should have
>a look at the swingarm of the nearest high performance
>motorcycle.
>
>It is possible to properly design a bicycle without a
>chainstay bridge, and I do not presume to know which
>approach is ultimately "better", by whatever test you
>happen to mean by better; this will vary according to
>geometry and material choice, but in general if a designer
>has chosen to use a bridge, it's likely to be there for
>structural reasons; it certainly isn't required for tyre
>restraint or mudguard mounting on my track or dirt-jump
>bikes, both of which enjoy the structural benefit of
>substantial chainstay bridges (and, for that matter,
>"brake" bridges, even though one is braked by the sprocket
>and the other by a disc)
>

>Kinky Cowboy*
>
>*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
>milage may vary

Dear Kinky,

I think that I see your point about the chain-stay bridge
being different that the seat-stay bridge because the chain-
stays don't converge to a point but instead remain a little
separated (roughly a tire-width or 0.8 basset noses).

Where I'm not following you (yet) is how this modified
tetrahedron (trapezium?) is distorting. That is, what parts
will bend less which way with the bridges?

(I realize that this kind of thing is hard to describe in
words, so I appreciate any explanation that you attempt.)

I'm not sure about the motorcycle analogy. Aren't most
modern street bikes a trailing fork back to the axle, with a
heavy reinforcement as you describe, but with a only little
triangle whose top goes to a monoshock and whose "seat-
stays" arrive about half-way down the "chain-stays" instead
of at the axle?

To be truly similar, wouldn't a bicycle frame have to dangle
its axle on a foot-long pair of horizontal trailing struts?

I'm not sure at all about this, modern street motorcycles
being purely theoretical to me, so take a deep breath
before pointing out any gaping holes in my question. I'm
really just asking if the axles are mounted well outside
the stiff triangular frame on a motorcycle, but almost
inside it on a bicycle.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is possible to properly design a bicycle without a
> chainstay bridge, and I do not presume to know which
> approach is ultimately "better", by whatever test you
> happen to mean by better; this will vary according to
> geometry and material choice, but in general if a designer
> has chosen to use a bridge, it's likely to be there for
> structural reasons; it certainly isn't required for tyre
> restraint or mudguard mounting on my track or dirt-jump
> bikes, both of which enjoy the structural benefit of
> substantial chainstay bridges (and, for that matter,
> "brake" bridges, even though one is braked by the sprocket
> and the other by a disc)

"substantial chainstay bridges"

There's the rub. On most road bikes (and quite a few
MTBs) the chainstay bridge is a weeny little piece of
metal, much smaller in diameter than the chainstays, much
less the BB shell. It can't possibly add much to the
stiffness of the structure. Of course, if you used a
bridge as large in diameter as the chainstays, it could
add stiffness, but there you're effectively shortening
the chainstays, substituting the bridge for the BB shell.
I think at least some CS and SS bridges are there because
people expect to see them.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:17:20 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:48:57 GMT, Kinky Cowboy
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:49:46 GMT,
>>[email protected] wrote:

>>>Depending on frame size and geometry, the bridge doesn't
>>>even serve that purpose. It is never structurally
>>>necessary, the rear triangle actually being a
>>>tetrahedron, the stiffest solid body available.
>>>
>>>Jobst Brandt [email protected]
>>

>>We've been here before. The rear triangle isn't a
>>tetrahedron, because if it was the chainstays would meet
>>in the centre of the BB shell. The BB shell, chainstays
>>and rear axle form a trapezium, which is deformed by axial
>>loads from the rear wheel. Bracing this trapezium at some
>>point distant from, but parallel to, the BB axis will
>>cause this deforming tendency to be resisted by a bending
>>moment in the chainstays, whereas without the bridge the
>>entire load must be resisted by the BB/Chainstay junction
>>attemting to change it's angle. For this reason,
>>bridgeless designs usually rely on reinforcement of this
>>junction, such as gussets, extended BB shell or, in the
>>case of lugged steel designs, longer and heavier points on
>>the BB shell. Admittedly, the seatstays (also braced, by
>>the brake bridge) also resist this load, but anybody who
>>thinks the chainstay bridge serves no structural function
>>should have a look at the swingarm of the nearest high
>>performance motorcycle.
>>
>>It is possible to properly design a bicycle without a
>>chainstay bridge, and I do not presume to know which
>>approach is ultimately "better", by whatever test you
>>happen to mean by better; this will vary according to
>>geometry and material choice, but in general if a designer
>>has chosen to use a bridge, it's likely to be there for
>>structural reasons; it certainly isn't required for tyre
>>restraint or mudguard mounting on my track or dirt-jump
>>bikes, both of which enjoy the structural benefit of
>>substantial chainstay bridges (and, for that matter,
>>"brake" bridges, even though one is braked by the sprocket
>>and the other by a disc)
>>

>>Kinky Cowboy*
>
>Dear Kinky,
>
>I think that I see your point about the chain-stay bridge
>being different that the seat-stay bridge because the chain-
>stays don't converge to a point but instead remain a little
>separated (roughly a tire-width or 0.8 basset noses).
>
>Where I'm not following you (yet) is how this modified
>tetrahedron (trapezium?) is distorting. That is, what parts
>will bend less which way with the bridges?
>
>(I realize that this kind of thing is hard to describe in
>words, so I appreciate any explanation that you attempt.)

Very difficult without a drawing, but without a bridge,
pushing the hub axle sideways will cause the angle between
the chainstay and BB to change. With the bridge, this still
happens, but in addtion, the angles between the bridge and
the stays also have to change, and the bridge either has to
change length or the stays have to bend. There is also some
neding of the dropouts in both cases. All other things being
equal, the same force wil result in less deflection with the
bridge in place.

>I'm not sure about the motorcycle analogy. Aren't most
>modern street bikes a trailing fork back to the axle, with
>a heavy reinforcement as you describe, but with a only
>little triangle whose top goes to a monoshock and whose "seat-
>stays" arrive about half-way down the "chain-stays" instead
>of at the axle?

True, a motorcycle has to do without seatstays, and the
chainstays are much further apart, making the structure less
like a triangle than a bicycle

>To be truly similar, wouldn't a bicycle frame have to
>dangle its axle on a foot-long pair of horizontal
>trailing struts?

As many suspension designs do

>I'm not sure at all about this, modern street motorcycles
>being purely theoretical to me, so take a deep breath
>before pointing out any gaping holes in my question. I'm
>really just asking if the axles are mounted well outside
>the stiff triangular frame on a motorcycle, but almost
>inside it on a bicycle.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Carl Fogel

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary

On 26 Jun 2004 16:18:15 -0800, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> It is possible to properly design a bicycle without a
>> chainstay bridge, and I do not presume to know which
>> approach is ultimately "better", by whatever test you
>> happen to mean by better; this will vary according to
>> geometry and material choice, but in general if a
>> designer has chosen to use a bridge, it's likely to be
>> there for structural reasons; it certainly isn't required
>> for tyre restraint or mudguard mounting on my track or
>> dirt-jump bikes, both of which enjoy the structural
>> benefit of substantial chainstay bridges (and, for that
>> matter, "brake" bridges, even though one is braked by the
>> sprocket and the other by a disc)
>
>"substantial chainstay bridges"
>
>There's the rub. On most road bikes (and quite a few MTBs)
>the chainstay bridge is a weeny little piece of metal, much
>smaller in diameter than the chainstays, much less the BB
>shell. It can't possibly add much to the stiffness of the
>structure. Of course, if you used a bridge as large in
>diameter as the chainstays, it could add stiffness, but
>there you're effectively shortening the chainstays,
>substituting the bridge for the BB shell. I think at least
>some CS and SS bridges are there because people expect to
>see them.

Because the bridge is short, and the main load on it is
compressive/tensile (I need to do the drawing to work out
which) it doesn't need to be as fat as the stays. Plenty of
cross section will help, but it's largely irrelevant whether
it's a small thick walled tube or a large thin walled one,
because it's so short and not subject to a great deal of
bending load. In fact, my old TT bike had a solid bridge of
diablo form tapering to about 6mm diameter in the centre.

I have no doubt that the "effectively shortening the
chainstays" comment has as much bearing on the matter as any
lattice girder effect, but some metal has to be involved in
this shortening, whether it's a bridge or, as is seen on
many aluminium MTB frames, a huge CNC carved block making up
the BB shell and the first few inches of chainstay. Of
course, if you build the stays so short that there is no
room for a bridge, you have to rely on the inherent
stiffness of the unbraced structure, and plenty of bikes
have been made perfectly rideable this way.

The debate is really about which solution is best in a
particular application; the bridged structure probably
weighs less, on a lightweight steel or titanium frame, than
using thicker walled stays to acheive the same effect, it's
cheap to build and provides a convenient mudguard mounting
point for touring bikes. You'd likely do something different
on a true monocoque carbon fibre track frame.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy snipes anonymously:

>>> How does not having a chainstay bridge affect the frame?
>>> I have a "loaded" touring frame without a chainstay
>>> bridge.

>> Depending on frame size and geometry, the bridge doesn't
>> even serve that purpose. It is never structurally
>> necessary, the rear triangle actually being a
>> tetrahedron, the stiffest solid body available.

> We've been here before. The rear triangle isn't a
> tetrahedron, because if it was the chainstays would meet
> in the centre of the BB shell.

The virtual intersection of these tubes is guaranteed by the
massive BB shell reinforced by BB cups that make this an
equivalent of a truncated tetrahedron. Even a well meaning
constructor of such a figure using bicycle tubes would not
extent the tubes to a sharp point intersection as a
mathematical line model would. Stop splitting hairs.

> The BB shell, chainstays and rear axle form a trapezium,
> which is deformed by axial loads from the rear wheel.

So? Even a perfect tetrahedron would be deformed. This is a
case of "lies of the second kind" to support a semantic
rather than a mechanical problem. Metals are, after all, an
elastic medium. It is not the truncated tetrahedron that is
deforming as you imply but don't say, but rather the
elements of the tetrahedron.

> Bracing this trapezium at some point distant from, but
> parallel to, the BB axis will cause this deforming
> tendency to be resisted by a bending moment in the
> chainstays, whereas without the bridge the entire load
> must be resisted by the BB/Chainstay junction attempting
> to change it's angle. For this reason, bridgeless designs
> usually rely on reinforcement of this junction, such as
> gussets, extended BB shell or, in the case of lugged steel
> designs, longer and heavier points on the BB shell.
> Admittedly, the seatstays (also braced, by the brake
> bridge) also resist this load, but anybody who thinks the
> chainstay bridge serves no structural function should have
> a look at the swingarm of the nearest high performance
> motorcycle.

You might as well take the lugs of a Rene Herse frame as
proof of stresses at certain junctions when in fact much of
this is artistic license or in response to an unrelated
frame failure. Similarly, you could cite tying and soldering
spokes at their crossings.

> It is possible to properly design a bicycle without a
> chainstay bridge, and I do not presume to know which
> approach is ultimately "better", by whatever test you
> happen to mean by better; this will vary according to
> geometry and material choice, but in general if a designer
> has chosen to use a bridge, it's likely to be there for
> structural reasons; it certainly isn't required for tyre
> restraint or mudguard mounting on my track or dirt-jump
> bikes, both of which enjoy the structural benefit of
> substantial chainstay bridges (and, for that matter,
> "brake" bridges, even though one is braked by the sprocket
> and the other by a disc)

Well that's a great disclaimer after all that dogmatic
explanation of the "rear triangle".

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:37:43 GMT, Kinky Cowboy
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>>instead of at the axle?
>
>True, a motorcycle has to do without seatstays, and the
>chainstays are much further apart, making the structure
>less like a triangle than a bicycle
>
>>To be truly similar, wouldn't a bicycle frame have to
>>dangle its axle on a foot-long pair of horizontal
>>trailing struts?
>
>As many suspension designs do
>
>>I'm not sure at all about this, modern street motorcycles
>>being purely theoretical to me, so take a deep breath
>>before pointing out any gaping holes in my question. I'm
>>really just asking if the axles are mounted well outside
>>the stiff triangular frame on a motorcycle, but almost
>>inside it on a bicycle.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Carl Fogel
>
>Kinky Cowboy*
>
>*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your

Dear Kinky,

Okay, now I'm thinking of the bottom-bracket, chain-stays,
and axle as a long, two-rung ladder lying flat on the floor,
with a narrow rung at one end and a wide rung at the bottom.

If the narrow end of the ladder is nailed to the floor,
pushing sideways on the ladder's wide end will deform the
whole rickety trapezoidal arrangement.

But a third rung near the narrow end will stiffen the
ladder.

Is this roughly the idea?

Carl Fogel

i think it does. i remember reading on the dedacciai web
site a builders recommendation to use a chain stay bridge to
mitigate fatigue. makes sense when you think about it - this
section is not a perfect triangle - its apex terminates at
the most highly stressed and flexed part of the frame.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2004 01:14:11 GMT, [email protected]
> (Phil Brown) wrote:
>

>>>AFAIK, chainstays aren't butted. At least they're not on
>>>the Reynolds
>>>531/753 Isiwata, Tange, and Columbus steel tube sets I've
>>> worked with in
>>>
>>>the past.
>>
>>The walls are tapered on good quality stays. Phil brown
>

> Dear Phil,
>
> I'm fascinated, but want more details. I always assumed
> that the tubing was just straight, uniform pipe, but
> you're saying otherwise.
>
> Is the pipe tapered in terms of its wall becoming thinner
> at each end, or does the wall stay the same thickness,
> while the diameter of the whole tube narrows?
>
> Whatever the answer is, why does it taper? Easier
> assembly? Strength?
>
> Carl Fogel

tapered for weight. the dropout end doesn't get twisted as
much as the bb end, so it doesn't need to be as strong, ergo
tapered tube is the way to go. just like the shaft of a golf
club. the handle end has to withstand the leverage of the
user accelerating the club and is therefore wider - the head
end just has to be strong enough to stop the end flying off
so is narrower [and thinner wall too].

so, high end chain stays are tapered /and/ butted to be
thinner in the
middle. scroll through this page for examples.
http://dedacciai.com/prodotti/sat.htm

as an aside, it fascinates me that certain "high end" [i.e.
_expensive_] titanium frame builders haven't figured out the
value of tapered tubes yet. i know that tapered tubes are
hard to make, especially having the thin wall at the narrow
end, but for the price on some of these frames, to /not/
have tapered tubes is pretty outrageous.

personally, i'd want a chain stay bridge. it's specifically
recommended by some tube manufacturers to mitigate fatigue,
and i've seen a number of weld failures at the bb when it's
not present. [chain stays can fail at the bridge too btw,
but it's less common from what i've seen.]