Strengthening lower back...?

Arthur Clune

Guest
Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:

: I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
: their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
: in particular?

Reverse extensions. Like situps but backwards.

Lie on something padded, face down with your hips just at the edge
(so your uppder body is in the air).

Drop down so your torso is at 90 degrees to the legs, then lift
up. Repeat.

Gyms usually have a special thing to do this on.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Jeremy Collins wrote:

> I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
> their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
> in particular?

Don't know about the pros, but I find supporting it with a comfy chair
works wonders for my riding comfort... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> writes:

>Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:

>: I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
>: their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
>: in particular?

>Reverse extensions. Like situps but backwards.

And keep in mind that a lot of back problems are caused by weak
abdominals. Try bending forward with loose stomach muscles and you will
feel yourself bending/slouching above the pelvis putting stress on the
lower back. Do the same with tighter abdominals and your torso will be
much straighter with less tension on the lower back.
Can make a lot of difference in bending over to reach the handle bars :)

Roos

Hi all,

I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
in particular?

I try to get to the gym 3-4 times a week and I'm wondering
if there's anything I can do while I'm there to help that
post-ride, slightly painful, stiffness?

I pretty sure my riding position is OK, I just have a
dodgy lower back!

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:

: And keep in mind that a lot of back problems are caused by weak
: abdominals.

Very good point. I should have said "do sit ups" as well

--

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

: Don't know about the pros, but I find supporting it with a comfy chair
: works wonders for my riding comfort... ;-)

True, but this way you avoid developing the old "aero-belly" beloved
of recumbant riders :)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:08 GMT, Jeremy Collins
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>Hi all
>I try to get to the gym 3-4 times a week and I'm wondering
>if there's anything I can do while I'm there to help that
>post-ride, slightly painful, stiffness?
>
>I pretty sure my riding position is OK, I just have a
>dodgy lower back!

Superman lifts. Lie on floor face down, arms stretched out in front of
you in a Man of Steel flying type position. Lift opposite arm and leg
together a couple of inches off the floor, hold for a count of 3,
lower them. Do the same with remaining arm and leg. Repeat as
necessary. A couple of sets of 15 should be enough.Take it nice and
gentle and slot it into your normal workout routine.

Dunno about pro cyclists, but this has been recommended to me by my
chiropractor, a boxing trainer and my gym instructor. It's low impact
and will slowly work and build up the lower back muscles.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

"Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
> their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
> in particular?

Since I got a chinning bar from Argos for £7:

http://tinyurl.com/727xo

and slung it between my bedroom door frame, my dodgy lower back is much much
better. Using it for occasional pull-ups and as part of my morning
pre-ride-to-work stretches has made a massive difference. Cheaper than an
osteopath too.

Mark.

Arthur Clune wrote:

> True, but this way you avoid developing the old "aero-belly" beloved
> of recumbant riders :)

Technology to the rescue again, and I'm sure carbon fibre would be a
whizzier solution than whale-bone in the new Wafflycat-Friendly
Bib-Corset! ;-)

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

>Arthur Clune wrote:

>> True, but this way you avoid developing the old "aero-belly" beloved
>> of recumbant riders :)

>Technology to the rescue again, and I'm sure carbon fibre would be a
>whizzier solution than whale-bone in the new Wafflycat-Friendly
>Bib-Corset! ;-)

A titanium stomach staple?

Roos

Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote in news:Y2mSc.62$rA4.42
@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

> I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
> their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
> in particular?

Buy a unicycle! Seriously, I've had an iffy back for years, apparently it
is largely down to poor core stability. I found that when I first started
unicycling my back problems disappeared within a few weeks. Even the normal
triggers (shifting furniture, lifting logs) gave me no problem. The muscles
used to balance on the unicycle are the muscles used to keep your back in
the proper position. When I commented on the improvement in my back on a
unicycling newsgroup there were several responses saying they experienced
the same effect.

Graeme

Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> Very good point. I should have said "do sit ups" as well

: That's interesting. I've been avoiding sit ups as I was
: worried they'd make my back worse (I do crunches instead
: when I have to, at my Tae Kwon Do class).

My bad. Crunches are fine. I use "situp" as a generic term
for all that sort of thing. But do do them

Arthur

--

Graeme wrote:

> Buy a unicycle! Seriously, I've had an iffy back for years, apparently it
> is largely down to poor core stability. I found that when I first started
> unicycling my back problems disappeared within a few weeks. Even the normal
> triggers (shifting furniture, lifting logs) gave me no problem. The muscles
> used to balance on the unicycle are the muscles used to keep your back in
> the proper position. When I commented on the improvement in my back on a
> unicycling newsgroup there were several responses saying they experienced
> the same effect.

Hey, that's not a bad idea! I'd feel a bit foolish at first down
the local park, but it sounds like fun!

It makes sense, BTW. I've read that doing things like balancing
on a board on top of a football is good for core strength.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I'm wondering if pro cyclists do workouts to strengthen
> : their lower backs? If so, does anyone know what exercises
> : in particular?
>
> Reverse extensions. Like situps but backwards.
>
> Lie on something padded, face down with your hips just at the edge
> (so your uppder body is in the air).
>
> Drop down so your torso is at 90 degrees to the legs, then lift
> up. Repeat.
>
> Gyms usually have a special thing to do this on.

I'll give it a go. It sounds hard though!

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : And keep in mind that a lot of back problems are caused by weak
> : abdominals.
>
> Very good point. I should have said "do sit ups" as well

That's interesting. I've been avoiding sit ups as I was
worried they'd make my back worse (I do crunches instead
when I have to, at my Tae Kwon Do class).

I'll do a few and see how it feels.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Pilates
As before its about strengthing lower back and ads
However if one set is stronger or less flexible than the other then it
induces stresses on the back and pelvis.
Pilcates works on CORE STABILITY and helps target deeper internal less used
muscles as well.

Word of warning. Start at beginners level and move up reqardless of fitness.
Being fit thought i thought i find a more advanced level to my suiting,
could hardly walk the next day.

good luck

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
> :>
> :> Very good point. I should have said "do sit ups" as well
>
> : That's interesting. I've been avoiding sit ups as I was
> : worried they'd make my back worse (I do crunches instead
> : when I have to, at my Tae Kwon Do class).
>
> My bad. Crunches are fine. I use "situp" as a generic term
> for all that sort of thing. But do do them

OK, that's good. I only ever "feel the effects" of crunches
in my stomach muscles; it's good to know they're helping
elsewhere too!

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

weak
> : abdominals.
>
> Very good point. I should have said "do sit ups" as wel

Old fashioned sit-ups involving lifting your back right off the floor
and flexing over towards your knees are a good way to burst a disc I
find.
I have done many thousands in my time, often with the feet under a bar
and a weight held behind the head.
I prefer what I have been told are abdo crunches, in which you
contract your abdo muscles hard but only lift your shoulders and upper
torso with the knees and hips comfortably flexed.A similar effect can
be achieved hanging from a bar and raising the knees.

TerryJ

Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> writes:

> Arthur Clune wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
>> :> :> Very good point. I should have said "do sit ups" as well
>> : That's interesting. I've been avoiding sit ups as I was
>> : worried they'd make my back worse (I do crunches instead
>> : when I have to, at my Tae Kwon Do class).
>> My bad. Crunches are fine. I use "situp" as a generic term
>> for all that sort of thing. But do do them

> OK, that's good. I only ever "feel the effects" of crunches
> in my stomach muscles;

You're probably not doing them correctly, or not doing enough of them
then. See e.g.
<http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Exercises/Crunches.htm?news>

Graeme suggested:
> Buy a unicycle! Seriously, I've had an iffy back for years, apparently it
> is largely down to poor core stability.

Good advice. Better still, *race* a unicycle. It's the best abdominal
workout I know of.