Stress exersize index in Cycling peaks similar to EPOC in suunto t6?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by cat6, Mar 2, 2007.

1. cat6

cat6 New Member

I was wondering if "Stress exersize index" in cycling peaks, which formula was developed by Andrew Coggan can or is using anything like EPOC calculations from SUUNTO T6 cycling computer?

Thank you very much!

Tags:

2. acoggan

acoggan Member

They are alike in the sense that they are both objective measurements that take into account exercise duration and exercise intensity. They are different, however, in that 1) EPOC is based upon measurement of heart rate (and beat-by-beat variations in heart rate), whereas TSS is based upon measurement of power, and 2) EPOC tends to give more weighting to intensities eliciting <100% of VO2max (and hence <100% of HRmax), but no extra weighting at all to intensities eliciting >100% of VO2max (since HR plateaus), whereas TSS gives a more gradual, but ever-increasing, weighting to intensity (i.e., there is no plateau).

3. cat6

cat6 New Member

Andrew thank you for your answer, I guess I'm trying to decide whether to go with Sunnto t6 or powertap.
    In your opinion can "stress exersize index" be safely used as "overtraining" indicator and if yes at which levels?

With t6- it is simple if it goes to zone 4.5 or 5 one need to take next 1.5 days "easy" how about your index?

thank you for your answer!