Stress fracture of the tibia

Nonsense?

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I have to insist that I'm correct in my
previous comments.

I am happy to hear that you have the capacity for fast healing. 6 weeks
from micro-fracture to full repair is quite impressive, but unfortunatly
that vast majority of patients who suffer stress fractures go on to
re-injure them following the ill advice that you are attempting to give.

I'm not at all surprised that you've had a "few" stress fractures. I've
been fortunate enough to have it happen only once...perhaps because I gave
mine ample time to heal?

The fact that you've had multiple stress fractures does not give your advice
much credibility, nor does it support your claim of being a "fabulust"
runner...reckless? Perhaps...but fabulous? Doubtful.

Brian: Take at least 12 weeks off. The more time you take off, the better
your tibia will heal and the stronger the reconstruction will be.
"Fabulust" is correct about only one thing: the tibia will be stronger if
you give it time to heal.

But only 6 months? That's just silly.

- S

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I'm not at all surprised that you've had a "few" stress fractures. I've
> been fortunate enough to have it happen only once...perhaps because I gave
> mine ample time to heal?

That would depend on whether it's the same place fracturing each time. If
not, surely if points to a training error, not a healing problem?

Tim

>Nonsense?
>
>I'm sorry you feel that way, but I have to insist that I'm correct in my
>previous comments.

You could not be more wrong.

>I am happy to hear that you have the capacity for fast healing. 6 weeks
>from micro-fracture to full repair is quite impressive, but unfortunatly
>that vast majority of patients who suffer stress fractures go on to
>re-injure them following the ill advice that you are attempting to give.

BS to the MAX! Where are you getting this junk from? Most people re-injure
themselves because they return to running before 6 weeks.

>I'm not at all surprised that you've had a "few" stress fractures. I've
>been fortunate enough to have it happen only once...perhaps because I gave
>mine ample time to heal?

Only once for me. I'm surprised your pea-sized brain hasn't fractured from all
the stress of trying to sound like you know what you are talking about.

>But only 6 months?

Your intelligence seems to have dwindled to no longer even being able to quote
properly.

>That's just silly.

Mirror time!

Thanks for the article it was a really good piece of information that
will serve as a future reverence while i am out running

Thanks for the article it was a really good piece of information that
will serve as a future reverence while i am out running

FabulustRunner wrote: "I've had a few stress fractures..." and then quacked
"Only once for me"...aside from the very silly contradiction, his advice
only further demonstrates his complete lack of authority on the subject of
medicine, stress fractures, and impact injuries.

His "flaming" nature and obvious defensiveness only further broadcasts his
clear and obvious lack of skill. We are most amused at his wimpy pout in
reference to his "pea-sized brain", but stooping not to his level, I'll
conclude by stating the obvious:

A stress fracture of the tibia is particularly nasty injury which should not
be confused or treated as chronic shin splints or periostitis.in the case of
a positive bone scan the cure requires unloading the leg as much as possible
to allow for healing. An orthopedic surgeon will typically prescribe a
minimum of 8 to 12 weeks of no running..to prevent further advance of micro
"cracking". What FabulustRunner fails to understand (or doesn't give a damn
about) is that a stress fracture will propogate through the bone if not
given ample time to heal.

While I'm sure the medical community is fascinated with the rubber like
qualities of FalulustRunners so called "Stress Fracture" (either singular or
multiple.the story changes as he stamps his little feet in frustration) the
vast majority of athletes will need significantly more time to induce and
complete healing.

The "bump" on the tiba, associated with a SF, is called a "callus".visual
testimony to the new calcium deposits that are being formed on the healing
bone. It takes at least 8 weeks for this "callus" to weld the splintered
areas of the micro fractures. We call this "remodeling" and the good news
is that the bone will be even stronger than it was before, following the
healing, as the callus material grows. But at 8 weeks, the callus will not
be fully absorbed into the bone...just like "spackling" a hole in a sheet
rock wall, the material needs sufficient time to "meld".

Now, if we follow "Dr. Science" over here (Fabulust) he'll direct you
happily along the path of a complete non-union of the bone. Is it worth the
risk of having a metal rod inserted permanently in your tibia? Ummmm.my
guess is no.

But in the end, we all like to follow the advice we most want to hear.
Before I wrote this little response, I called a good friend of mine who
practices Sports Medicine at the Center for Health and Fitness at Univeristy
of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, in Worcester, MA. When I told him
about Dr. Fabulusts recommendation of "6 weeks non running" in cure of a
tibial stress fracture, my friend was quite adamant:

"We prescribe a minimal non-loading period of 8 weeks, with 4 additional
weeks of minimal load therapy (walking.no running)."

"Oh, and that internet guy Fabulust is a friggin' idiot" he concluded
(actually, he didn't say that: I just threw that in..just a little something
I dug up out of my so called "pea brain".)

Brian: best of luck with your injury. I'm done responding here, but feel
free to contact me directly if I can help.but whatever you do: DO NOT LISTEN
TO FabulustRunner: HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.

- Steve

> [...]

of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, in Worcester, MA. When I told him
about Dr. Fabulusts recommendation of "6 weeks non running" in cure of a
tibial stress fracture, my friend was quite adamant:

"We prescribe a minimal non-loading period of 8 weeks, with 4 additional
weeks of minimal load therapy (walking.no running)."

"Oh, and that internet guy Fabulust is a friggin' idiot" he concluded
(actually, he didn't say that: I just threw that in..just a little something
I dug up out of my so called "pea brain".)

Brian: best of luck with your injury. I'm done responding here, but feel
free to contact me directly if I can help.but whatever you do: DO NOT LISTEN
TO FabulustRunner: HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.

- Steve

>as he stamps his little feet in frustration

No, I said COMPLETE rest.

>vast majority of athletes will need significantly more time to induce and
>complete healing.

Only the wimps and punks.

> It takes at least 8 weeks for this "callus" to weld the splintered
>areas of the micro fractures.

6 weeks.

>Before I wrote this little response, I called a good friend

You expect us to believe that you have friends? Ha!

>who
>practices Sports Medicine at the Center for Health and Fitness at Univeristy
>of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, in Worcester, MA.

I know that wimp. He's as ineffectual at his job as he was in bed with his
first wives.

>"Oh, and that internet guy Fabulust is a friggin' idiot" he concluded

We have had personal conflicts in the past, so of course he'd be hostile tords
me.

>DO NOT LISTEN
>TO FabulustRunner: HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.

I know everything, and I've never been wrong.

Tim Downie wrote:
> "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>>I'm not at all surprised that you've had a "few" stress fractures. I've
>>been fortunate enough to have it happen only once...perhaps because I gave
>>mine ample time to heal?

> That would depend on whether it's the same place fracturing each time. If
> not, surely if points to a training error, not a healing problem?
>
> Tim

what about poor bone structure (low density) - or would that just
outright break?

Dot

--
"The eagle, who believed he was a chicken, wasn't. However, until he
discovered what he was, he was limited to live as one."

"Brian Wakem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I believe I have a stress fracture of the right tibia.
>
> I have had a lot of pain at the top of the right shin, about an inch below
> the knee, since Friday. The bone hurts when I touch it in the specific
> area. Running aggravates its tremendously.
>
> I have done my research and everything suggests it's a stress fracture. I
> will need to see a physio to confirm, but I don't see what else it could
> be.
>
> The only way to fix it is at least 6-8 weeks total rest - not that I can
> run
> anyway - I am scratching the walls already.
>
> I blame the dark nights which have enforced a change of surface.
>
> Anybody here had a stress fracture?

I haven't had one yet, but I have a condition that makes me prone to them so
I'm probably overly cautious to try and avoid one. I feel for you!

Jenn

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tim Downie wrote:
>> "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>>>I'm not at all surprised that you've had a "few" stress fractures. I've
>>>been fortunate enough to have it happen only once...perhaps because I
>>>gave
>>>mine ample time to heal?

>> That would depend on whether it's the same place fracturing each time.
>> If
>> not, surely if points to a training error, not a healing problem?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> what about poor bone structure (low density) - or would that just outright
> break?
>
> Dot

Low bone density does make one more prone to stress fractures, not
necessarily outright breaks from things like running though it is easier to
break a bone from falling or something like that. I'm in a situation where
my bones are releasing too much calcium and I was told that I am at a much
higher risk of stress fracture and kidney stones, besides
osteopeina/osteoporosis. This just means I have to be more cautious with my
training and continue doing things like weightlifting & taking supplements
to maintain bone density.

Jenn

hello i had stress fracture on my upper left of the tibia back in november 1st. and i went to the hospital and the doctor did MRI and said to me yup you have stress fracture and he also told me i need to have surgery done and now i have plate and 4 screws and i also did damage to cartilage. to heal my guess is could take up to one year.