Stress on top tube from bike carrier

Susan Ferringer

Guest
I recently purchased a Mopar (Chrysler parts) rear mounted, two-bike carrier
for my Jeep Liberty. In hindsight I wonder if this carrier is more
car-friendly than bike-friendly.

It has a single, rubber padded, V-shaped channel that the top tube of each
bike sits on. A clamp with a reversed V-shaped channel is then bolted down
over the top. The channels are approx. 6 inches long. The bikes are also
secured with straps of keep the wheels from turning.

You can see a rack with a similar mounting system here, although the one I
have is quite a bit sturdier:

http://accessory-center.com/series.plx/30/5344/2700

Our two bikes have different diameter top tubes (steel Trek 520 vs. aluminum
Trek 7200). When both bikes are mounted on the carrier the 520 has a fair
amount of front-to-back motion when you go over bumps.

Does this put too much stress on the top tube?

Can I compensate by putting a thick rubber sleeve ­ like pipe insulation ­
around the 520 to even out the two top tube sizes?

Or is this single support system just a basically bad idea?

Thanks for your thoughts.

--Sue

You know, I looked at that clamp and I thought "workstand". So I guess
one question to ask yourself might be "would I feel comfortable driving
along with my bike hanging from a workstand?

Seriously--I know lots of folks who won't clamp their bikes by the
TT--they use the seatpost only when working on their rides.

"Susan Ferringer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BE167492.2DFC%[email protected]...
> I recently purchased a Mopar (Chrysler parts) rear mounted, two-bike

carrier
> for my Jeep Liberty. In hindsight I wonder if this carrier is more
> car-friendly than bike-friendly.
>
> It has a single, rubber padded, V-shaped channel that the top tube of each
> bike sits on. A clamp with a reversed V-shaped channel is then bolted down
> over the top. The channels are approx. 6 inches long. The bikes are also
> secured with straps of keep the wheels from turning.
>
> You can see a rack with a similar mounting system here, although the one I
> have is quite a bit sturdier:
>
> http://accessory-center.com/series.plx/30/5344/2700
>
> Our two bikes have different diameter top tubes (steel Trek 520 vs.

aluminum
> Trek 7200). When both bikes are mounted on the carrier the 520 has a fair
> amount of front-to-back motion when you go over bumps.
>
> Does this put too much stress on the top tube?
>
> Can I compensate by putting a thick rubber sleeve ­ like pipe insulation ­
> around the 520 to even out the two top tube sizes?
>
> Or is this single support system just a basically bad idea?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> --Sue

I have a Bauer carrier similar to this:
http://www.bauergear.com/catalog/evolution/pages/Main_jpg.htm
It has never structurally damaged the top tubes. I have carried steel, alum,
titanium and carbon bikes. I bought it mainly because it doesn't take up too
much room in the garage when not on the car. My main gripe about it is that
the bikes are carried very close together which makes it easy to bang up the
deraillers and such. I bought the extension so you can mount 4 bikes but
the bikes are carried so close together that it is very hard to get 4 bikes
mounted.

Andy M-S wrote:

> You know, I looked at that clamp and I thought "workstand". So I
> guess one question to ask yourself might be "would I feel comfortable
> driving along with my bike hanging from a workstand?
>
> Seriously--I know lots of folks who won't clamp their bikes by the
> TT--they use the seatpost only when working on their rides.

I wouldn't worry about it with the two bikes mentioned. They're probably both
pretty stout. But I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my beer-can-thin Klein in
such a rack.

Matt O.