Stress Relieving Radial Wheels

Matthew C Roberts

Guest
I recently purchased a build Campy Chorus build kit to rebuild my
Columbus SL Pinarello into something a bit more modern (vs. the ~1990
Shimano 105/Ult that was on it)

The build kit came w/ a pair of Campy Proton Wheels. I like these
wheels, and I would like them to last. After having lurked here for
the last three months, I've seen many posters recommend
stress-relieving machine-built wheels, which is a new concept to me,
but falls well within my realm of ability. My question is how to
stress relieve radially spoked wheels. The Campy Protons have 22
radially-laced spokes in front, and 24 cross-2 drive/ radial non-drive
in back.

Also, any other advice on 'conditioning' these wheels to make 'em
last? Finances dictate that this bike will have to last me quite a
while.

Matt.

Matthew C. Roberts wrote:

> My question is how to stress relieve radially spoked wheels.

The same way you stress-relieve regular wheels: grab a pair of spokes on
the right side of the wheel with your right hand, and a pair of spokes from
the left side of the wheel in your left hand (e.g. if you number the spokes
around the wheel, grab #1 and #3 in one hand, and #2 and #4 in the other).
Squeeze hard (leather gloves recommended). Repeat for all spokes.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line today. The results blacked
out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."
-- Steel City News

Matthew C Roberts writes:

> I recently purchased a build Campy Chorus build kit to rebuild my
> Columbus SL Pinarello into something a bit more modern (vs. the
> ~1990 Shimano 105/Ult that was on it)

> The build kit came w/ a pair of Campy Proton Wheels. I like these
> wheels, and I would like them to last. After having lurked here for
> the last three months, I've seen many posters recommend
> stress-relieving machine-built wheels, which is a new concept to me,
> but falls well within my realm of ability. My question is how to
> stress relieve radially spoked wheels. The Campy Protons have 22
> radially-laced spokes in front, and 24 cross-2 drive/ radial
> non-drive in back.

With a low spoke count you may have hand-reach problems. In that case
(radial) grasp the nearest pairs and stretch them. That would be a
spoke from the left and one from the right. The same goes for the
rear, that for practical grasping, represents a radial wheel.

> Also, any other advice on 'conditioning' these wheels to make 'em
> last? Finances dictate that this bike will have to last me quite a
> while.

I think you would have done better with more mundane wheels for long
term reliability. As it is you have the wheels. Make them work as
well as you can. Unfortunately most frames today have almost no tire
clearance, radially or laterally, so you can't use a larger cross
section tire for touring or continue riding if a spoke breaks. In
contrast, I have ridden all day with a broken spoke with no problem on
36 spoke wheels. The reason for not altering any spokes is that
tweaking alignment causes radial misalignment that is harder to fix
later than to muddle on and just replacing one spoke when you get
home.

On my Alpine tour this year I was passed by a strong young rider on a
mountain pass only to find him standing next to the road farther up,
immobile. His Shimano 7700 wheel would no longer turn in his frame
because it broke one spoke. He had to wait for a bus, still a
possibility in Switzerland on most mountain passes. It was pleasant
weather.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:06:08 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Matthew C. Roberts wrote:
>
>> My question is how to stress relieve radially spoked wheels.

>The same way you stress-relieve regular wheels: grab a pair of spokes on
>the right side of the wheel with your right hand, and a pair of spokes from
>the left side of the wheel in your left hand (e.g. if you number the spokes
>around the wheel, grab #1 and #3 in one hand, and #2 and #4 in the other).
>Squeeze hard (leather gloves recommended). Repeat for all spokes.

Cool, thanks.