Striking Gold!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Feb 1, 2006.

  1. At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    for her trouble. Life ain't bad.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

    Tags:

  2. On Wed 01 Feb 2006 11:49:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    Jammin'?

    > At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    > frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    > She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    > Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    > for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    That will be a treat! Especially to find such in MN. Obviously, here in the
    Southwest there are many sources, both commercial and private. The sister of
    one of my co-workers makes several types of tamales on a regular basis and
    will take orders for them by the dozen.

    Enjoy your gold!!! Maybe she will teach you, too.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. On 2 Feb 2006 08:01:32 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Wed 01 Feb 2006 11:49:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    >Jammin'?
    >
    >> At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    >> frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    >> and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    >> her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    >> She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    >> Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    >> for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    >That will be a treat! Especially to find such in MN. Obviously, here in the
    >Southwest there are many sources, both commercial and private.

    Rumor has it there will also be tamales at the Southern California
    cook-in, in June. You could get your fix there too.. ;)

    Christine

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:
    > On 2 Feb 2006 08:01:32 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed 01 Feb 2006 11:49:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Melba's Jammin'?
    >>
    >>> At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see
    >>> there frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una
    >>> Mejicana
    >>> and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas.
    >>> I saw her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to
    >>> make them. She said that instead of me making them, she would bring
    >>> me some on Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will
    >>> receive some jams
    >>> for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    >> That will be a treat! Especially to find such in MN. Obviously,
    >> here in the Southwest there are many sources, both commercial and
    >> private.

    > Rumor has it there will also be tamales at the Southern California
    > cook-in, in June. You could get your fix there too.. ;)
    >
    > Christine

    The Tamale Queen is Pam, but I've made them. They are wonderful but a PITA
    to make unless she enlists the help of the grandkids. The real PITA is in
    the rolling in the masa and then the soaked corn husks :) They do freeze
    well!

    Jill

  5. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    > frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    > She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    > Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    > for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    Sweet of her to make them for you! I love Mexican food - make and eat
    it almost every day. I am not too fond of tamales, though, for some
    reason. Might be because when we were poor, we used to get Tom-Tom
    tamales (Chicago) in bulk, freeze them and eat them for lunch and
    dinner every now and then. They were pretty awful, but you had to eat
    what you had.

    In San Jose I had a neighbor who made some awsome Tamales. I still
    didn't particularly like them, though. May be the steamed masa.
    -L.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    (snippage)

    > The Tamale Queen is Pam, but I've made them. They are wonderful but a PITA
    > to make unless she enlists the help of the grandkids. The real PITA is in
    > the rolling in the masa and then the soaked corn husks :) They do freeze
    > well!
    >
    > Jill

    It's my understanding that these are coming from her freezer where she
    has them uncooked. She's going to cook them before giving them to me.
    I've got my foot in the door. . . .
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

  7. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    > frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    > She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    > Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    > for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    See if your amiga ever makes the sweet ones. They are made with anise seed and
    raisins, sometimes with pineapple juice or coconut. Taste a bit like rice
    pudding, but with that corn/masa flavor. One neighborhood tamale store dyes
    their sweet ones a virulent pink for the holidays. Yucko! And they weren't as
    good as their more sober undyed cousins I bought across town.
    Edrena, pulling a few tamales from the freezer herself

  8. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    > frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    > She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    > Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    > for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    Tit for tat? <groan, couldn't help that ;).>

    You are really lucky. We never see "real" mexican food in this part of
    the world... I hope you enjoy it!
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > (snippage)

    >> The Tamale Queen is Pam, but I've made them. They are wonderful but
    >> a PITA to make unless she enlists the help of the grandkids. The
    >> real PITA is in the rolling in the masa and then the soaked corn
    >> husks :) They do freeze well!
    >>
    >> Jill

    > It's my understanding that these are coming from her freezer where she
    > has them uncooked. She's going to cook them before giving them to me.
    > I've got my foot in the door. . . .

    More the better! I love tamales but really they are a PITA ;)

    Jill

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > (snippage)

    > >> The Tamale Queen is Pam, but I've made them. They are wonderful but
    > >> a PITA to make unless she enlists the help of the grandkids. The
    > >> real PITA is in the rolling in the masa and then the soaked corn
    > >> husks :) They do freeze well!
    > >>
    > >> Jill

    > > It's my understanding that these are coming from her freezer where she
    > > has them uncooked. She's going to cook them before giving them to me.
    > > I've got my foot in the door. . . .

    > More the better! I love tamales but really they are a PITA ;)
    >
    > Jill

    I'm fortunate to have a hispanic co-worker that will do that. ;-)

    She will cook up fresh tamales and bring them to me at work, still hot
    from the steamer! Good stuff too, made with the authentic pigs head
    meat... She does not oversalt them either like some people do!

    Yum!
    --
    Om.

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> (snippage)

    >>> It's my understanding that these are coming from her freezer where
    >>> she has them uncooked. She's going to cook them before giving them
    >>> to me. I've got my foot in the door. . . .

    >> More the better! I love tamales but really they are a PITA ;)
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > I'm fortunate to have a hispanic co-worker that will do that. ;-)
    >
    > She will cook up fresh tamales and bring them to me at work, still hot
    > from the steamer! Good stuff too, made with the authentic pigs head
    > meat... She does not oversalt them either like some people do!
    >
    > Yum!

    Ahhh, no don't salt them. Years ago when I supervised an accounting firm I
    had an emploee from Vietnam who made a bunch of egg rolls; she had her
    husband bring them up one night when we had to work past 7PM. Oh man,
    fantastic!

    Jill

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,

    > >> More the better! I love tamales but really they are a PITA ;)
    > >>
    > >> Jill
    > >>

    > > I'm fortunate to have a hispanic co-worker that will do that. ;-)
    > >
    > > She will cook up fresh tamales and bring them to me at work, still hot
    > > from the steamer! Good stuff too, made with the authentic pigs head
    > > meat... She does not oversalt them either like some people do!
    > >
    > > Yum!

    > Ahhh, no don't salt them. Years ago when I supervised an accounting firm I
    > had an emploee from Vietnam who made a bunch of egg rolls; she had her
    > husband bring them up one night when we had to work past 7PM. Oh man,
    > fantastic!
    >
    > Jill

    I'm not sure which I like more...

    Fresh egg rolls or hot tamales! :-d

    It's a toss up.
    --
    Om.

  13. PickyJaz

    PickyJaz Guest

    The Joneses wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    > > At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    > > frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    > > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    > > She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    > > Monday. (snips)

    > See if your amiga ever makes the sweet ones. They are made with anise seed and
    > raisins, sometimes with pineapple juice or coconut. (snip)

    Barb, I would love to come to your home and teach where I imagine the
    perfect kitchen space and steaming equipment for making tomales! Every
    year end holidays season I start lecturing myself to get busy making
    them, but have taken a few years off. Unlike what others have said, I
    find the making not at all a PITA, but instead very much enjoy the
    tedium. As I've aged my feeties sure don't appreciate the long
    standing, though. I've never been one to work well in the kitchen
    while seated, else I could set up my assembly line differently and make
    more than what was my usual (minimum 12 dozen batches) before family
    moved too far away to enjoy my efforts. Maybe this year, though sooner
    than November/December, I will recruit a few of my USMC boys to come
    help. They're always ready for food!

    The Jones reply here made me laugh! When one makes the tamales
    (nicknamed to-mals) without a meat they are commonly referred to as
    "Borrachos" (maybe spelled wrong, but it's in reference to a man being
    so drunk he forgets to put the meat in), and are made in several
    different ingredient ways, though most commonly with dried fruit
    included.

    Picky-Thanks for good memories.

  14. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > At a holiday lunch at the Y before Christmas, a lovely woman I see there
    > frequently spoke of her holiday traditions. Soccorro es una Mejicana
    > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.
    > She said that instead of me making them, she would bring me some on
    > Monday. Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s-s!! La estimada señora will receive some jams
    > for her trouble. Life ain't bad.

    You're in for a treat. Tamales are my favorite Mexican food.
    They are tedious but rewarding to make at home, too.
    Ud. es muy afortunada.

    Digale "muchissimas gracias" a Socorro.

    gloria p

  15. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > > and I was salivating as she told of making tamales for Christmas. I saw
    > > her this morning and told her I was interested in learning to make them.

    > You're in for a treat. Tamales are my favorite Mexican food.
    > They are tedious but rewarding to make at home, too.

    Many years back, I went to a party where we made tamales. There's a
    name, but darned if Google likes my spelling. It is something like
    "tamalido".

    It was a lot of fun. It was one of those "many hands" things. I would
    guess there were a dozen of us. Some spent the whole day, but others
    came in the afternoon. We all brought a potluck dish to go with the
    tamales.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  16. modom

    modom Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:42:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >(snippage)

    >> The Tamale Queen is Pam, but I've made them. They are wonderful but a PITA
    >> to make unless she enlists the help of the grandkids. The real PITA is in
    >> the rolling in the masa and then the soaked corn husks :) They do freeze
    >> well!
    >>
    >> Jill

    >It's my understanding that these are coming from her freezer where she
    >has them uncooked. She's going to cook them before giving them to me.
    >I've got my foot in the door. . . .

    Although I've made tamales a time or two, I'm far from expert. I
    never had the benefit of a live, hands-on instructor, just a book.
    That said, I'd be surprised if they were frozen uncooked. The masa
    I've used would freeze better after steaming than it would before.

    The key to making tamales in my experience is to get a group of
    friends to help. By yourself it's humdrum repetitive work.

    modom