Stripped Campagnolo Record bottom bracket

markg0410

Aug 11, 2009
I recently had a buddy work on my Campy Record bottom bracket. He was simply going to remove the bb, clean, lube it, and re-install it.

Here's the problem - he tried to remove the drivetrain side first resulting in stripped threads. To avoid confusion, imagine trying to remove your bb and the bb tool has nothing to grab onto. Now you get the idea.

Any suggestions (besides getting new friends)????

The same thing happened to me with a Chorus bb....btw, I assume you mean the square taper? If that is the case, yes, the inside splines of the cups strip VERY easily because they are made of alu and the splines are very shallow.
What I did - not ALL of the splines were stripped, about a third of them maybe....if this is the case with yours, you can gently tap the Campy tool into the cup with a hammer, effectively forcing it to conform to/get stuck on the tool. Then very carefully, you might be able to work it loose. In my case, it worked.
Another option is to try the old Shimano tool, which has splines that are a tiny bit deeper than Campy and usually don't fit - but in this case, you might be able to force it in.

PS BTW, when you say "threads" you don't mean the threads on the frame in the bb shell do you?? If that is the case, then disregard what I said as you are pretty much SOL.

Good luck!

markg0410 said:
I recently had a buddy work on my Campy Record bottom bracket. He was simply going to remove the bb, clean, lube it, and re-install it.

Here's the problem - he tried to remove the drivetrain side first resulting in stripped threads. To avoid confusion, imagine trying to remove your bb and the bb tool has nothing to grab onto. Now you get the idea.

Any suggestions (besides getting new friends)????
Steel frame? Alloy or CF frame?

Was your "friend" trying to remove a RECENT, square taper BB with alloy cups & cartridge bearings or an older, loose bearing BB with steel cups?

Presuming your friend hasn't destroyed the frame's BB shell ...

AFTER you remove the non-driveside cup, you can TAP the spindle & bearings out with a hammer (USE A BLOCK OF SCRAP WOOD BETWEEN THE BB SPINDLE & THE HAMMER!) ...

THEN (if the "teeth" are absent OR if BikingBrian's suggestion fails), you can use a hack saw BLADE to cut a SLOT into which you will then insert a crow bar, or anything else that has a large enough "bladed" edge that isn't too wide to fit inside the cup.

BTW. If you haven't figured it out, based on what I said (above), you can service the BB without removing the fixed cup ... a little dodgy, but it's an option for the moment until you buy a replacement cup.