Stripped Cleat question/advice

RubberSideDown

Nov 17, 2003
I need some input/advice/"make fun of" help here. I have a pair of SIDIs that I love and I use SPDs pedals and cleats. I went on a Mt. bike tour in Utah and rented a bike (Maybe that was the first mistake). The people tightened the pedals down so tight that the first time I went to clip out, the cleats turned on the soles of the shoes. I took the cleats off, cleaned them, and re-attached them tighter and loosened the pedals. The next time I went to clip out, they turned again. The cleats have now dug grooves into the soles of my shoes and I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything out there on the market that can remedy this problem? Or do I have to by new shoes? Has anyone had this problem? If so, what did you do?

Thanks for any advice
RIDE ON

RubberSideDown

Originally posted by RubberSideDown
I need some input/advice/"make fun of" help here. I have a pair of SIDIs that I love and I use SPDs pedals and cleats. I went on a Mt. bike tour in Utah and rented a bike (Maybe that was the first mistake). The people tightened the pedals down so tight that the first time I went to clip out, the cleats turned on the soles of the shoes. I took the cleats off, cleaned them, and re-attached them tighter and loosened the pedals. The next time I went to clip out, they turned again. The cleats have now dug grooves into the soles of my shoes and I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything out there on the market that can remedy this problem? Or do I have to by new shoes? Has anyone had this problem? If so, what did you do?

Thanks for any advice
RIDE ON

RubberSideDown

You could try and fill the grooves with epoxy and then sand it flush after it has hardened. Don't SPD cleats have two mounting holes side-by-side? How did they turn on the shoe?

Have you been using grease on the twobolts? The grease allows you to get them off someday but it also lets you tighten the bolts tighter without damaging the threads.

Try using some fine sandpaper on the sole to make them smooth again. SPD cleats have little ridges that are meant to dig into the sole and keep them stable; if the cleat isn't tight enough (or the pedal is way too tight), the cleat slips, and the ridges scar the **** out of the sole .. this prevents the ridges from digging in properly when the cleats are re-installed.

The reason why I know what happens in such graphic detail, is because I've done exactly the same thing!! :p

Update:

Thank you all who responded. Here is what happened. I went out and got an epoxy specific to plastics. Took off the cleat and sanded down the cleat area. One shoe was really bad and had some deep grooves. I mad sure it was all smooth and the cleaned the surface good. I applied the epoxy to the suface making sure I filled all the grooves. I let that dry for a few hours. Then I put the cleat in place and put some lube on the screws. I was able to tighten them down pretty darn good and tested them out. All went well. Cleats stayed right where they were.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope this helps anyone else who may come across the same misshap.

RIDE ON!