Stripped Deraileur Hanger Threads

jvanv8

Nov 14, 2006
I have a frame with a replacable deraileur hanger and the small screw that holds the deraileur hanger in place is stripped. It's a very small screw (only a few threads) and I was actually able to fix it for a full year by screwing a slightly larger diameter screw into the hole.

But now the larger screw stripped out (thanks to Airline luggage handlers) so I've been riding without the screw to hold the hanger in place... basically the quick release holds the hanger in place. (of course if you take the rear wheel off, the deraileur falls off)

Any way to fix this? Does the hanger screw have any importance while riding (I can deal with the "rear wheel removal" problem) but can it cause creaking or bad shifting performance?

Thanks
John

Find out if Heli-coils come in the size you need. They are a threaded insert designed to fix stripped threads.

jvanv8 said:
I have a frame with a replacable deraileur hanger and the small screw that holds the deraileur hanger in place is stripped. It's a very small screw (only a few threads) and I was actually able to fix it for a full year by screwing a slightly larger diameter screw into the hole.

But now the larger screw stripped out (thanks to Airline luggage handlers) so I've been riding without the screw to hold the hanger in place... basically the quick release holds the hanger in place. (of course if you take the rear wheel off, the deraileur falls off)

Any way to fix this? Does the hanger screw have any importance while riding (I can deal with the "rear wheel removal" problem) but can it cause creaking or bad shifting performance?

Thanks
John
It could cause a problem with shifting since it may not be aligned properly when the wheel is reattached, however this is rather unlikely. I doubt if you would get any creaking from it.

In order to fix it, you might try a thread insert to fix it. This would entail slightly opening up the hole and threading it with a special tap. You would then screw the insert into the hole, and your screw would screw into the insert. The most popular inserts on the market are called Helicoil, http://www.helicoil.com/products/helicoil.asp , but there are other brands also. They all work in a similar manner.