Stripped Nipples

MikeCambridge

Apr 20, 2010
Im building a wheel on an old Hed Deep rim with built in nipples. 2 of the nipples (built into the carbon rim) are stripped, any ideas on what I can do to make them function again. Wheel doesn't have to be super strong, its going to be a light use commuter, mostly a bike to pick up babes. Any help would be great

MikeCambridge said:
Im building a wheel on an old Hed Deep rim with built in nipples. 2 of the nipples (built into the carbon rim) are stripped, any ideas on what I can do to make them function again. Wheel doesn't have to be super strong, its going to be a light use commuter, mostly a bike to pick up babes. Any help would be great

I am assumimg that the sides have been rounded off. If so try filing each side to flatten them out.Be sure they are free turning and if not you can always use a little anti-seize type oil before attempting to break them free.
I am pretty sure you could replace them if needed as long as you determine the spoke guage.

You can always cut a small groove like slot center of the tip and go at it with a good flat head screwdriver... just make your your downward force is sufficient, as to not have the screw driver "ride up" the wall and destroy your groove.

But I am assuming when you said "built into" that its not going to be that easy... can you provide a picture sir?

What you need is an ADJUSTABLE spoke wrench! It's made by Park, part # SW-10, and costs around $30 US.

I've got one and it works fairly well.