Stripped screw inserts, SIDI Genius 5's

Paul A. Steckler

Guest
Twice now I've stripped the screw inserts on my SIDI
Genius 5 Mega's. Both times, I've been surprised because
I didn't feel like I was applying that much torque -- the
second time especially, since I was aware of the vulnerability.

The first time this happened, I lived near Veltec Sports, the
American SIDI distributor. They fixed the shoe under
warranty.

This time, I'm going to have to pay someone to fix the shoes.
Can I trust an LBS to do the fix properly, or should I go
to a cobbler? Apparently, the fix involves cutting a flap in
the glued insole, putting in the insert, and re-gluing.

More importantly, can the stock SIDI inserts be replaced
with equivalents made of harder metal? I'd really hate for
this to happen again, especially on a tour. Are these
stock hardware-store items?

-- Paul

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:44:42 -0700, "Paul A. Steckler"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Twice now I've stripped the screw inserts on my SIDI
>Genius 5 Mega's. Both times, I've been surprised because
>I didn't feel like I was applying that much torque -- the
>second time especially, since I was aware of the vulnerability.
>
>The first time this happened, I lived near Veltec Sports, the
>American SIDI distributor. They fixed the shoe under
>warranty.
>
>This time, I'm going to have to pay someone to fix the shoes.
>Can I trust an LBS to do the fix properly, or should I go
>to a cobbler? Apparently, the fix involves cutting a flap in
>the glued insole, putting in the insert, and re-gluing.
>
>More importantly, can the stock SIDI inserts be replaced
>with equivalents made of harder metal? I'd really hate for
>this to happen again, especially on a tour. Are these
>stock hardware-store items?
>
>-- Paul

While you're at it, how about a 1/4" drive torque wrench? Both sets
of shoes I have list torque for the screws. Might help avoid problems
next time around. Get the Sears Craftsman next time it goes on sale,
every month or three.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> While you're at it, how about a 1/4" drive torque wrench? Both sets
> of shoes I have list torque for the screws. Might help avoid problems
> next time around. Get the Sears Craftsman next time it goes on sale,
> every month or three.

I don't see a spec for the SIDI shoes, but Shimano says 5 to 6
Newton-meters for the SPD-SL cleats.

Still, the inserts should not strip so easily. On the Diadora shoes I used
to have, I'd tighten the SPD-R cleats almost to the limit of my strength,
without any problems.

-- Paul

"Paul A. Steckler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > While you're at it, how about a 1/4" drive torque wrench? Both sets
> > of shoes I have list torque for the screws. Might help avoid problems
> > next time around. Get the Sears Craftsman next time it goes on sale,
> > every month or three.

> I don't see a spec for the SIDI shoes, but Shimano says 5 to 6
> Newton-meters for the SPD-SL cleats.
>
> Still, the inserts should not strip so easily. On the Diadora shoes I

used
> to have, I'd tighten the SPD-R cleats almost to the limit of my strength,
> without any problems.
>
> -- Paul

On my Sidi Dominators, I tweaked the cleat so hard during a fall once that
it snapped the screws. The screw inserts remained serviceable, however.
(Spec for torque: Rilly, rilly tight.)
mC

> Still, the inserts should not strip so easily. On the Diadora shoes I
> used
> to have, I'd tighten the SPD-R cleats almost to the limit of my strength,
> without any problems.

Well, only the top part of the thread stripped. An LBS gave me some
slightly longer cleat screws, and they hold fine. Moreover, they're nice
and snug. I don't think I need to worry about stripped the inserts with
them, because the binding force is distributed over a larger thread
area.

-- Paul

Mike wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:44:42 -0700, "Paul A. Steckler"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Twice now I've stripped the screw inserts on my SIDI
> >Genius 5 Mega's. Both times, I've been surprised because
> >I didn't feel like I was applying that much torque -- the
> >second time especially, since I was aware of the vulnerability.
> >
> >The first time this happened, I lived near Veltec Sports, the
> >American SIDI distributor. They fixed the shoe under
> >warranty.
> >
> >This time, I'm going to have to pay someone to fix the shoes.
> >Can I trust an LBS to do the fix properly, or should I go
> >to a cobbler? Apparently, the fix involves cutting a flap in
> >the glued insole, putting in the insert, and re-gluing.
> >
> >More importantly, can the stock SIDI inserts be replaced
> >with equivalents made of harder metal? I'd really hate for
> >this to happen again, especially on a tour. Are these
> >stock hardware-store items?
> >
> >-- Paul

> While you're at it, how about a 1/4" drive torque wrench? Both sets
> of shoes I have list torque for the screws. Might help avoid problems
> next time around. Get the Sears Craftsman next time it goes on sale,
> every month or three.

now you need a torque wrench to install cleat screws ?

i always use loctite on shoe bolts, to get those stubby bolts to hold
and not seize