stripping paint from aluminum frame? Any advice...?

Arata43

Guest
I have a 1990 Trek 2000 Aluminum Frame with a paint job that reflects the years of joy it has
brought me. I'd like strip down the paint to the aluminum without damaging it and have never done
anything like this before. If anyone has suggestions I welcome all.

"Arata43" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a 1990 Trek 2000 Aluminum Frame with a paint job that reflects the
years

Use a product called "Airplane Remover." It's actually called that. Strips the paint right off and
will dissolve your fingers in seconds.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

>I have a 1990 Trek 2000 Aluminum Frame with a paint job that reflects the years of joy it has
>brought me. I'd like strip down the paint to the aluminum without damaging it and have never done
>anything like this before. If anyone has suggestions I welcome all.

Personally I would not do it. The tubes underneath are likely to be unattractive and I would be
reluctant to use any strippers because those frames are glued together and the stripper might damage
the joint.

Jon Isaacs

On 15 May 2003 06:27:13 GMT, [email protected] (Arata43) wrote:

>I have a 1990 Trek 2000 Aluminum Frame with a paint job that reflects the years of joy it has
>brought me. I'd like strip down the paint to the aluminum without damaging it and have never done
>anything like this before. If anyone has suggestions I welcome all.
Avoid anything with methylene chloride in it! Not an issue in CA.

cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

Im doing the same now with an upright "Diamondback" that had some paint chips etc., however, I have
welded joints so not the same concerns. I used a commercial "gel" stripper I got from Wal-Hut. It
worked pretty well and now I have all of the paint off. There is some residual hint of color on the
aluminum that will have to be sanded/polished off.

I also am using a rotary tool and a polishing brush which makes it a bit easier. You can really get
it shiny if you take your time and make it an extended project.

The only thing up in the air for me is whether to have it clear coated or not. I am leaning towards
having it done because I don't want to polish it all the time.

Good luck!
--
Bill in Indiana Greenspeed GTR 20/20

Gotta post an overall picture of the bike.

Better yet, anybody make white bike shorts? Kucharik has a white light-weight long-sleeve jersey.

White shorts, white jersey, shave your head and all body hair - "Mr.Clean and his bike!!!"

"Spacey Spade" <[email protected]> wrote

Bill in Indiana wrote:
>Im doing the same now with an upright "Diamondback" that had some paint chips etc., however, I have
>welded joints so not the same concerns. I used a commercial "gel" stripper I got from Wal-Hut. It
>worked pretty well and now I have all of the paint off. There is some residual hint of color on the
>aluminum that will have to be sanded/polished off.
>
>I also am using a rotary tool and a polishing brush which makes it a bit easier. You can really get
>it shiny if you take your time and make it an extended project.
>
>The only thing up in the air for me is whether to have it clear coated or not. I am leaning towards
>having it done because I don't want to polish it all the time.

I left it dull-looking. I prefer this look. Nice contrast to the polished cranks, etc.

Jeff wrote:
>Gotta post an overall picture of the bike.
[snip]

I had an accident recently that horse-saddled my campy y-psilon silver rear rim. Now I am using Cane
Creek wheels (black rims), so you'll have to use your imagination. ;)