stripping paint from aluminum frames

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lee, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Anyone taken all the paint off an aluminum bike? How'd you do it? How'd it come out?

    TIA,

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Bildom

    Bildom Guest

    I used a commercial paint stripper to remove paint from a Cannondale frame. It took the paint off

  3. "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I used a commercial paint stripper to remove paint from a Cannondale
    frame.
    > It took the paint off easily. - Bill

    Careful. Some of the (early) aluminum frames are glued rather than TIGed. Paint stripper could
    dissolve the glue.

    Regards, Larry

  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Lawrence writes:

    > "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I used a commercial paint stripper to remove paint from a Cannondale
    > frame.
    > > It took the paint off easily. - Bill
    >
    > Careful. Some of the (early) aluminum frames are glued rather than TIGed. Paint stripper could
    > dissolve the glue.

    Thanks, Larry...how do I tell?

    Lee

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:49:51 -0400, "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lawrence writes:
    >
    >> "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> > I used a commercial paint stripper to remove paint from a Cannondale
    >> frame.
    >> > It took the paint off easily. - Bill
    >>
    >> Careful. Some of the (early) aluminum frames are glued rather than TIGed. Paint stripper could
    >> dissolve the glue.
    >
    >Thanks, Larry...how do I tell?

    Look for the weld beads. Especially on aluminum these tend to be pretty bulky.

    Bonded frames tend to show seams, even on painted frames, where the tubes join the lugs.

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:49:51 -0400, "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Lawrence writes:

    > >> frame.
    > >>
    > >> Careful. Some of the (early) aluminum frames are glued rather than
    TIGed.
    > >> Paint stripper could dissolve the glue.
    > >
    > >Thanks, Larry...how do I tell?
    >
    > Look for the weld beads. Especially on aluminum these tend to be pretty bulky.
    >
    > Bonded frames tend to show seams, even on painted frames, where the tubes join the lugs.

    Thanks John!

    Lee