Stroganoff

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Me, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the main
    ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    cream. It had very little beef stock in it.

    Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Me wrote:
    > Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the main
    > ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    > cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

    yes. dependnign on the proportions, that sounds about right to me.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  3. Kent

    Kent Guest

    There isn't any mustard in it, nor sliced onions. Sour cream yes, though the
    less you use the better is the dish.
    While Stroganoff is commonly thought of as Russian, it is actually French in
    origin.
    Classically, it is made from filet mignon. I make it with leftover standing
    rib roast when that presents itself.
    Kent

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the main
    > ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    > cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

  4. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the main
    > ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    > cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

    I often make "Manzo alla Stroganoff" (Beef Stroganoff). But there is a lot
    of meat inside and few cream. I put in it also slices of lemon and
    mushrooms! There are a lot of similar recipes for this meat! But I like this
    one very much (I have tried last year and it was a success).
    I hope you like this recipe, too!
    Cheers
    Pandora
    Here is :

    *BEEF STROGANOFF*

    Category: meat
    Nb persons: 6

    800 g beef - (I use rib eye steak; you should use
    -the more tender cut of the beef)
    400 g champignon mushrooms
    4 medium onions
    1 tbs flour
    1 tbs mustard
    50 g cream
    1/2 lemon - cut in little quarters
    80 g butter
    2tbs oil EVOO
    salt
    pepper

    1)Clean mushrooms and cut them in slices; cut onions in slices. Liquefy
    butter in a frying pan and brown onions till they are translucent; add
    mushrooms and lemon; salt and cook without lid for 10 minutes at high fire.
    2) Cut beef in stripes and brown them in another frying pan with 2 tbs of
    olive oil for 5-6 minutes (or till the meat is tender); add salt and pepper;
    put beef in the fryingpan with mushrooms and keep aside in a hot place.
    3)Liquefy the remaining butter in a pan and add to it the flour, mixing with
    a wood spoon; add the cream and let thicken for some istants, always mixing.
    Turn off the fire, add mustard to this sauce; pour it on the hot meat and
    serve.

    Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
    Calories 364kcal
    Protein 29g (59%)
    Total Fat 23g (35%)
    Sat. 11g (57%)
    Chol. 109mg (36%)
    Carb. 9g (3%)
    Fiber 1g (5%)
    Sugars 3g
    Calcium 65mg (6%)
    Iron 2mg (13%)

    ----------

    Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the
    > main ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots*
    > of sour cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

    Nope. Has been discussed here before. Beef tenderloin cut into strips and
    simmered in beef stock. Sliced mushrooms sauteed in butter; sour cream at
    the finish and served over egg noodles. For more complete instructions,
    email me.

    Jill

  6. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Kent <[email protected]> wrote:

    > While Stroganoff is commonly thought of as Russian, it is actually French in
    > origin.

    Nonsense, obviously picked up from Larousse Gastronomique. If you are
    going to rely on it for information on anything non-French, you can as
    well ask a man in the street.

    Victor

  7. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Beef tenderloin cut into strips and
    > simmered in beef stock.

    A classic barbecued ribs recipe, obviously.

    Victor

  8. "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > Me wrote:
    > > Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the

    main
    > > ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    > > cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    > >
    > > Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks
    > >

    > yes. dependnign on the proportions, that sounds about right to me.

    Shouldn't it have curry powder?

    Charlie, already out the door

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Shouldn't it have curry powder?
    >
    > Charlie, already out the door

    Heh ... I've been watching for Dimitri to check in.

    nancy

  10. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    I had good luck with stroganoff the other day using relatively cheap
    steak, cutting up the tenderer parts for the beef strips and reserving
    the bone and tough parts for the stock. Not a classic version, I'm
    sure, but it used up some stray steak and turned out quite good. The
    recipe I used had no mustard or onion and had surprisingly little sour
    cream, though it tasted like I had used much more than I did.

    Kathy

  11. On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:57:45 -0800, "Me" <[email protected]> rummaged
    among random neurons and opined:

    >Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the main
    >ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    >cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    >
    >Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

    No mustard as a main ingredient, but this is a family fave:

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Beef Stroganof

    meats and poultry

    3 1/2 tablespoon Butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 cup beef broth
    1 lb. beef tenderloin or filet mignon steaks; sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup shallots; thinly sliced
    1/4 cup cremini mushrooms; trimmed and halved
    3 tablespoon sour cream
    1 teaspoon dijon mustard
    2 tablespoon dill
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

    Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a small heavy saucepan over moderte
    heat and whisk in flour, then cook roux. whisking constantly, 2 mins.
    Add broth in a slow stream, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 mins. Remove from
    heat and keep warm.

    Pat beef dry and season well with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon
    butter with 1 tablespoon oil in a 12" heavy skillet over modertely
    high heat until foam subsides. Saute beef in two batches, turning
    once, until browned on both sides but still pink inside, about 1 min.
    Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.

    Heat remaining tablespoon butter with remaining tablespoon oil in same
    skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then
    saute shallot, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3
    mins. Add mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until liquid
    mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms are browned, about 8 -
    10 mins. Return meat with its juices to skillet and stir to combine,
    then transfer to a platter.

    Reheat sauce over low heat (do not let boil), then whisk in sour
    cream, mustard, dioll, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over beef and serve
    immediately.

    Contributor: Gourmet

    Yield: 6 servings

    Preparation Time: 35 mi

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  12. On Sat 21 Jan 2006 04:19:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Victor
    Sack?

    > Kent <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> While Stroganoff is commonly thought of as Russian, it is actually
    >> French in origin.

    > Nonsense, obviously picked up from Larousse Gastronomique. If you are
    > going to rely on it for information on anything non-French, you can as
    > well ask a man in the street.
    >
    > Victor

    In a French street? :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  13. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Victor Sack wrote:
    > jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Beef tenderloin cut into strips and
    >> simmered in beef stock.

    > A classic barbecued ribs recipe, obviously.
    >
    > Victor

    Nonsense! We don't barbeque beef in Tennessee!

    Jill

  14. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Somewhere out on the Internet I saw a recipe for beef stroganoff; the main
    > ingredients in the sauce were mustard, sliced onions, and *lots* of sour
    > cream. It had very little beef stock in it.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a recipe? Thanks

    You don't need a recipe - brown strips of beef (tenderloin or even
    sirloin will do) - remove beef and saute some onions until translucent
    - return meat and onion to pan, simmer in beef broth (your own
    seasoning preferences, but I've never seen a recipe with mustard) until
    tender - make a gravy/sauce by thickening sour cream with a couple T.
    of flour and temper it with some of the hot broth, return all to the
    pan, stir vigorously, add some cooked sliced mushrooms and heat
    through. Serve over noodles. Garnish with parsley.

    N.