Stromlo Master Planning - your input

Bucket Master

May 18, 2007
Ok so the following was posted by The Bear a couple of days ago about the Master Planning process for Stromlo...

CONSULTATION NOTICE
Stromlo Forest Park
Master Plan and Feasibility Study
The Department of Territory and Municipal Services has engaged architects Cox Humphries Moss and urban planners Parsons Brinckerhoff to deliver three interrelated projects for the potential future planning, development and operations of Stromlo Forest Park.
The project includes preparation of a Master Plan to guide the future growth of the Park. The project will also investigate the opportunity for commercial accommodation and a chairlift to the summit of Mount Stromlo.
A drop-in information session will held on Saturday 16 May 2009 at the Event Pavilion, Stromlo Forest Park, Uriarra Road, Stromlo from 9.30am until 3.30pm.
The drop-in session will discuss the objectives of the study. It will also provide an opportunity to gather information on current Park use and ideas for future development. These responses will be used to inform the preparation of the Master Plan.
To find out more about the project visit www.stromloforestpark.com.au.
For further information contact Lee McCourt, Parsons Brinckerhoff on 6281 9500.

One of the tings I will be doing is representing CORC in discussions with Cox Humphries Moss and Parsons Brinkerhoff.

What I would like to know from you, the Australian cycling community, is what you would like to see at Stromlo in the future (and don't say another 400m in height, more trees (there are over 400k already)...its all been said before).

What would make riding there better? What would influence you and your family to come and ride (and stay in Canberra for a few days)? What would make events there better/run more smoothly?

My thoughts on areas people might like is:
real north shore,
a BIG single trail XC/all mountain loop that takes in the back side of stromlo and block 12 (adjoining block) like options for 60-80km
a kids playground (for youngsters under 8 or bigger kids!)
Dirt Jumps area
BMX
Thrird DH/Free Ride down the western face
Skills area
Duel Slalom course
BBQs
Shelters/H20 at junctions
Weed control?
Regular maintainence
Well defined (future) works program
dare I say chair lift?
Camping/low cost accom
a bikeshop/coffe shop/bar
links to the cotter and back into the city/arboretum/weston
bike path that links these areas also?

All idea are welcome and I think I am only scratching the surface here. I doesnt have to be just mountain bike related either...Oh and I know some people dont like the place for one reason or another so if you don't have an constructive thoughts please don't both to add to this thread

This is our park, lets plan it for the future

Bucket Master said:
Mate you dont farken own jack ****. Stromlo is the collective property of the Ngunnawal, Ngarigo and Walgalu tribes.

If you want to erode their forest and drop mars bar wrappers all over their lands then I suggest you ask them and pay them some money for the privilege too.

When you have been on this rock for 20,000 years then we will talk about ownership

or if thats too much of a stretch for ya...

when we achieve parity on life expectancy between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians maybe then we can talk about 'sharing' ownership.

Until then you can stick yer BMX and mountain bike tracks through the forests up yer ****.

Bucket of ****ing **** spammer said:
It's ****! I think you should kill yourself -- and when you get to hell, tell ****** that your're a worse bloke that he ever farkin was, even on his bad days

531Aussie said:
It's ****! I think you should kill yourself -- and when you get to hell, tell ****** that your're a worse bloke that he ever farkin was, even on his bad days
haha I know your just taking the **** but it really does **** me - i hate lobby groups, special interest groups and ******** "departmental master plans" which is political fluff.

I am also a bit upset at the moment about the **** happening in the kimberleys region that youse wont know much about. its emotional.

so fark mountain biker fun parks, mountain biker special interest groups and mountain bikers in general.

hairy legged homos the lot of em.

Bucket Master said:
Ok so the following was posted by The Bear a couple of days ago about the Master Planning process for Stromlo...

CONSULTATION NOTICE
Stromlo Forest Park
Master Plan and Feasibility Study
The Department of Territory and Municipal Services has engaged architects Cox Humphries Moss and urban planners Parsons Brinckerhoff to deliver three interrelated projects for the potential future planning, development and operations of Stromlo Forest Park.
The project includes preparation of a Master Plan to guide the future growth of the Park. The project will also investigate the opportunity for commercial accommodation and a chairlift to the summit of Mount Stromlo.
A drop-in information session will held on Saturday 16 May 2009 at the Event Pavilion, Stromlo Forest Park, Uriarra Road, Stromlo from 9.30am until 3.30pm.
The drop-in session will discuss the objectives of the study. It will also provide an opportunity to gather information on current Park use and ideas for future development. These responses will be used to inform the preparation of the Master Plan.
To find out more about the project visit www.stromloforestpark.com.au.
For further information contact Lee McCourt, Parsons Brinckerhoff on 6281 9500.

One of the tings I will be doing is representing CORC in discussions with Cox Humphries Moss and Parsons Brinkerhoff.

What I would like to know from you, the Australian cycling community, is what you would like to see at Stromlo in the future (and don't say another 400m in height, more trees (there are over 400k already)...its all been said before).

What would make riding there better? What would influence you and your family to come and ride (and stay in Canberra for a few days)? What would make events there better/run more smoothly?

My thoughts on areas people might like is:
real north shore,
a BIG single trail XC/all mountain loop that takes in the back side of stromlo and block 12 (adjoining block) like options for 60-80km
a kids playground (for youngsters under 8 or bigger kids!)
Dirt Jumps area
BMX
Thrird DH/Free Ride down the western face
Skills area
Duel Slalom course
BBQs
Shelters/H20 at junctions
Weed control?
Regular maintainence
Well defined (future) works program
dare I say chair lift?
Camping/low cost accom
a bikeshop/coffe shop/bar
links to the cotter and back into the city/arboretum/weston
bike path that links these areas also?

All idea are welcome and I think I am only scratching the surface here. I doesnt have to be just mountain bike related either...Oh and I know some people dont like the place for one reason or another so if you don't have an constructive thoughts please don't both to add to this thread

Where is a plan for a track cycling venue?

Geoff Vadar said:
Mate you dont farken own jack ****. Stromlo is the collective property of the Ngunnawal, Ngarigo and Walgalu tribes.

Moth eaters. The lot of them.

classic1 said:
Moth eaters. The lot of them.
Bogong moths are awesome. You cant have heaps at once though sort of have to ween yourself onto them as a food source. you can eat them raw which is cool but there is a little risk involved so what you do is roll them in the fire ashes to cook em then collect them up and sift them through a straw bag to get rid of their heads and wings.

Then they taste like roasted peanuts. Farken yum!

Or once sifted you can crush them with rocks and mix into moth cakes.

Geoff Vadar said:
Bogong moths are awesome. You cant have heaps at once though sort of have to ween yourself onto them as a food source. you can eat them raw which is cool but there is a little risk involved so what you do is roll them in the fire ashes to cook em then collect them up and sift them through a straw bag to get rid of their heads and wings.

Then they taste like roasted peanuts. Farken yum!

Or once sifted you can crush them with rocks and mix into moth cakes.

Snickers bars are better.

Gee...

Here was I thinking that I was doing the right kind of thing asking people their for their ideas...guess this is not the correct forum for this

And Geoff I know and am friends with many of the local Nugunnawal peoples, indeed my job is working with them and Winnunga Nimitajah to impove the health and life expectency of the local/regional community.

With regard to Stromlo, I also worked very closley with the local community in its planning.

Your attitude is, well a little disapointing. cest la vie
:(

They're just trying to be funny mate, don't sweat it.

Try the folks at Rotorburn. You'll get just as much **** over there, but at least it will be easier to recognise as ****.

Me personally, I've never been to Stromlo, but from what I've seen and what my racing fools have told me, you need one thing.

More Trees.

Bucket Master said:
Gee...

Your attitude is, well a little disapointing. cest la vie
:(
*********** what did I do? How come I'm always the one getting in trouble. Bloody Nev was the one that did tell ya to kill yerself!

Ok so he was blind drunk but still!

If it makes you feel any better I'd rather see mountain bikes than motorbikes. Wait scrap that. Nude chicks on motorbikes beat mountain bikes. How much funding do we need for one of those?

foxy-jacky5.jpg

its Canberra so not much ;)

Re the trees, they are there - about 400k of them, they are ony 2-4m high at the moment so either need a does of EPO or another 5 years to be noticed from afar

If they can get the road circuit and velodrome up then it will be the best facility of its type anywhere in Australia at least. A 15km closed circuit where people can train or race away from the traffic would be phenomanal. As far as the velodrome goes, well it doesn't have to be a skull crunching, steeply banked thing. Just somewhere kids can learn to ride the track and seniors, veterans or whoever can have a decent place to race rather than on the monstrosity at Narrabundah. It doesn't really need to be a velodrome. A 400 metre flat track is just as good. As long as it's well constructed and maintained.

We had our first session with the consultants last Tuesday and despite your feedback :))) it was all really positive stuff. We also met with Park Management (TVE) the Friday before.

Next 12 months
Improved signage (lots of signs out there already) - each track has been named and graded. Those of you who have been out there would have noticed a pile of flattened topsoil at the South Eastern corner of the car park (near the tunnel) - this will be the location of the trail head signage and include a simple explanation of the signs, gradings, numbering etc. It will be landscaped, couple of seats and I think a shelter which will be a good addition. Might even suggest "take a map" box and the lost and found board at this area.

Construction works to the north of the pavilion are for BBQs, children play equipment and a kids skills cycling course (similar to that on the gold coast near Australia Fair). This will be a great addition I think.

The parallel fire road below the cockatoo switch backs (was the haulage road for the 4X) will be decommissioned (is being so now) and a small 'terrain park' with roll overs etc is being added. These will be planted out as time, labour and money permits.

The trail behind the 4X to old Duffy (not from) will get the same treatment (its really hard to see and rarely ridden, this will make it more obvious and increase its usage (particularly around beginner/intermediate riders).

The trail from old Duffy is progressively revamped and will (does) include a series table tops (and a sensational very high speed berm)

There will be (has been) heap of maintainence on the CORC (trunk) Trail - thats the main green loop. It gets a truck load of traffic and this will bring it back to a green standard.

There will be more TTF (rollovers, small ladders and see-saws) as time and money permits.

DJs are on the cards within the next 12 months

A skill park is coming

A little longer - 2-3 years
International level BMX circuit is to be built (not sure on the time frame on this but within the next 2 years)

Space for accommodation,, 2-3 star as well as a range of camping facilities. There will be space for commercial operators (cafe/bikeshop/bar/club) on part of the existing carpark and the potential a second pavilion on the other side of the crit track (making the transition at the Scott really rock).

5-7 years
The new suburbs of molonglo will come very close to the park but there will be links through to the Arboretum. At its narrowest these fingers will be 70m wide and will incorporate bike path, single track and space for equestrians (the fingers will be larger than the 70m of course). I will be meeting with the land development agency next week to progress this.

The bad news is that for a period of time (well the next 12 months) there wont (likely) be any new trails - rather a consolidation, audit and on going maintainence of what we have. Not a bad thing and it will let us plan the next stages well.

I think that's about it