Strong bike for a fat c**t

c42plusgolf

Jan 28, 2008
Hello, I am 17 stone 6' 3" and need a really strong road bike. Is carbon the strongest bike out there or steel. I have been commuting 100 mile a week for one year and love it but buckeled wheels are really pissing me off. What bike should I buy? I have £1000 budget. Should i buy stonger wheels. The only racing I do is against myself so i don't need lightweight. I just want a bike I can get on, do the round trip of 37 miles and not think about it again.

All help much appreciated

Ashley.............

I won't ask what a fat c**t is. But at your price point the only components that might be an issue are wheels, seatpost and saddle. If the bike you're considering has a carbon seatpost, consider downgrading to alloy. Also a lightweight titanium-railed saddle should be downgraded to something more rugged, with steel rails.

For tires, consider having 32- or 36-spoke wheels made up with heavier rims and straight-gauge spokes if the bike comes with lightweights. Use with 25- or 28-mm tires to increase contact patch, reduce rolling resistance, and avoid pinch-flats.

Thankyou for your great advice, I found it extremely helpful. I have now purchased a Specialized Tricross Sport 2008 Road Bike. £700 please don't tell my wife.

Cheers

Ashley.........................

c42plusgolf said:
Thankyou for your great advice, I found it extremely helpful.
Hey, a sport cyclocross bike. What a terrific idea!

Some people make buying a bike a lot more complicated than it should be. Glad to be of help.