Strongest Seat Post

brider4

Sep 1, 2006
:confused: What is the strongest straight seat post out there? This is for road use but I want the strongest possible. The size is 27.2. I have looked at some of the titanium posts but some of the ads state the aluminum is the strongest? I do not want steel.

One reply states that Titanium is th strongest. I agree for pure strength of metal. Titanium is stronger than Aluminum. The Thompson Elite post are touted as 40% stronger than anything else on the market. I do not believe they make one out of titanium though. What is the best titanium seat post manufacturer?

brider4 said:
:confused: What is the strongest straight seat post out there? This is for road use but I want the strongest possible. The size is 27.2. I have looked at some of the titanium posts but some of the ads state the aluminum is the strongest? I do not want steel.
The best one is the titanium.

reg_titan.jpg

Made by PMP Italy

brider4 said:
I think Campagnolo and Shimano seatposts have the best seat clamps ...

The Campagnolo clamping "area" is LARGER than the Shimano clamping "area" ...

For strength Thomson win hands down. All the stuff they make is bullet proof.

fauxpas said:
Why? Is it a weight factor?
I was expecting you to say that you could not help him with straight posts but could give some good advice on gay ones.

Bro Deal said:
For strength Thomson win hands down. All the stuff they make is bullet proof.
Bro deal has got it right here...the Thomson Elite looks like the strongest post of the ones I've seen. Take a close look at the quality of the machining, smooth radius, the grooved post, and the overall finish. These are worth the money.

brider4 said:
Yes. I am 250 lbs.
I'm currently 220lbs and was 240lbs a few months ago... I have 3 posts and am currently on a Felt Carbon Fibre jobbie... The other 2 are standard alloy. But all take my weight with ease... I have had issues with posts and weight many years ago when I rode buckets of shite, but the current crop of standard alloy anf CF posts are fine...

Bro Deal said:
I was expecting you to say that you could not help him with straight posts but could give some good advice on gay ones.
The only problem with gay posts is that they aren't designed to have a seat attached at the end, they take batteries and come in sizes asian, caucasion and negro...:D

dhk2 said:
Bro deal has got it right here...the Thomson Elite looks like the strongest post of the ones I've seen. Take a close look at the quality of the machining, smooth radius, the grooved post, and the overall finish. These are worth the money.
A third vote here for Thomson. The Elite is one strong seatpost. It's a compliment to any frame and not too heavy either. It's the Chris King Headset of Seatposts.

I've got to put my 2 bobs worth in here, and say "who cares about tought seatposts?" They are dime a dozen for normal strong ones and a normal one, alu or cf, will handle fatties such as me...

Hardness in a seatpost seems to be a quality not needed.

brider4 said:
I'm 195lbs, and I've had no problems with my Thimpson Elite, but if I was really concerned about a strong post, and didn't care about a lot of weight, I'd buy a cheap, super-heavy BMX thing

Again, another one for the Thomson. Not only is it one good looking seat post, but is light, and it has a beautiful clamp.

All a plus is the super strength and it cost much less than some other **** post out there. A good bike shop should give it to you for $70, the elite seatpost that is.

Their stems are the same. The best!

fauxpas said:
I've got to put my 2 bobs worth in here, and say "who cares about tought seatposts?" They are dime a dozen for normal strong ones and a normal one, alu or cf, will handle fatties such as me...

Hardness in a seatpost seems to be a quality not needed.

Yeah, much more likely to break the seat rails, though I have seen a few clamps break. Stay away from seatposts that get narrow near the clamp and should be OK.

Yup, agree with Diablo here, most seatposts with a wide-ish clamping area will be just fine, even if you are a bit on the heavy side.

Campagnolo and PmPs are excellent, as are Thomson.

FSA makes a nice seatpost. It's a little heavier than the Thompson but you're a little heavier than what posts are probably spec'd for. The extra weight might be the extra strength you need.

http://www.glorycycles.com/fsaslalse.html

(the search engine found something with glory in it. whats up with that?)

A heavier seatpost doesn't mean that it is stronger. It is all about the location of the material that matters. And many seatposts out there are just made and priced to get a profit. Meaning there is nothing special about them except their brand name.

Each company has their "real" product. And some have none. This concerns the consumer though, the producer will always get its share of the money.

I ride a cannondale sport road 500. I am changing from the stock suspension seat post. From what I am seeing the Thomson elite is probably the best and it is available at my local shops.

mikesbytes said:
What bike do you ride?

What is wrong with the existing seat post?