Stronglight Chainset with Campag Centaur BB

Simonb

Guest
Are Stronglight chainsets compatible with Campag bottom brackets? I'm
looking at getting the Stronglight Impact Compact to go on an existing, 3
year-old Centaur bottom bracket.

Simonb wrote:
> Are Stronglight chainsets compatible with Campag bottom brackets?

No.

"Shimano and almost every major bottom bracket maker have
traditionally used the same spindle end cross section of 12.9 mm and two
degree taper. Campagnolo uses the same two degree taper but has a smaller
starting cross section of 12.7 mm. A Shimano crank arm will bottom out on
Campagnolo spindle. A Campagnolo crank arm will not draw far enough onto a
Shimano spindle."
- http://www.branfordbike.com/bottombr/bb2.html#item2

~PB

Simonb wrote:

> Are Stronglight chainsets compatible with Campag bottom brackets? I'm
> looking at getting the Stronglight Impact Compact to go on an
> existing, 3 year-old Centaur bottom bracket.

I mounted this chainset in the souble version on a 110mm BB-UN53 bottom
bracket (JIS spindle) which seems to work well. A slightly shorter
spindle might be even better.
While many European chainsets are made for ISO spindles this specific
one looks to me very much like one from Sugino just with a Stronglight
sticker on it. You might just try if it fits your Campagnolo spindle.

Guenther

Simonb wrote:

> Are Stronglight chainsets compatible with Campag bottom brackets? I'm
> looking at getting the Stronglight Impact Compact to go on an
> existing, 3 year-old Centaur bottom bracket.

I mounted this chainset in the souble version on a 110mm BB-UN53 bottom
bracket (JIS spindle) which seems to work well. A slightly shorter
spindle might be even better.
While many European chainsets are made for ISO spindles this specific
one looks to me very much like one from Sugino just with a Stronglight
sticker on it. You might just try if it fits your Campagnolo spindle.

Guenther

Thanks All.

I've ordered a Mirage chainset (53/39) and will get an appropriately
low-geared cassette. To remove the BB (which looks brand new) I'd need to
buy the correct tool. Campag chainsets are amazingly cheap at Parker
International.