Stronglight Impact Crank (compatibility)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Nakashima, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact crank
    50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the square
    taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    thanks,
    -tom
     
    Tags:


  2. eflayer2

    eflayer2 Guest

    I own one of these cranks. I don't know if this will help, but I have
    it mounted on a standard Shimano un72 square taper bb. I do not know
    about whether or not it is 10 speed compatible.
    Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact

    crank
    > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the

    square
    > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > thanks,
    > -tom
     
  3. "eflayer2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I own one of these cranks. I don't know if this will help, but I have
    > it mounted on a standard Shimano un72 square taper bb. I do not know
    > about whether or not it is 10 speed compatible.
    > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact

    > crank
    > > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the

    > square
    > > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > > thanks,
    > > -tom


    Thanks, how do you like the crank, the 50/36? All I been riding with is a
    53/39 and before that the older 52/52 combination. I worked out the gear
    calculation for a 39/27 and a 36/27, and there only seems to be gear inch
    change of 3.0 or a gear ratio change of .2
    -tom
     
  4. "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "eflayer2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I own one of these cranks. I don't know if this will help, but I have
    > > it mounted on a standard Shimano un72 square taper bb. I do not know
    > > about whether or not it is 10 speed compatible.
    > > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact

    > > crank
    > > > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > > > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the

    > > square
    > > > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > > > thanks,
    > > > -tom

    >
    > Thanks, how do you like the crank, the 50/36? All I been riding with is a
    > 53/39 and before that the older 52/52 combination. I worked out the gear
    > calculation for a 39/27 and a 36/27, and there only seems to be gear inch
    > change of 3.0 or a gear ratio change of .2
    > -tom
    >

    sorry 52/42, not 52/52.
    -tom
     
  5. Tom Nakashima wrote:

    > Also if the taper of the Stronglight [Impact] Crank will fit the
    > square taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?


    I mounted this crank on a Shimano bottom bracket with JIS square taper
    and it fits fine. As far as I can tell it is not French made and does
    not show the ISO taper typical for Campagnolo or other European cranks.
    110mm for the spindle length works nicely on my old steel frame.

    Guenther
     
  6. "Günther Schwarz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    >
    > > Also if the taper of the Stronglight [Impact] Crank will fit the
    > > square taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?

    >
    > I mounted this crank on a Shimano bottom bracket with JIS square taper
    > and it fits fine. As far as I can tell it is not French made and does
    > not show the ISO taper typical for Campagnolo or other European cranks.
    > 110mm for the spindle length works nicely on my old steel frame.
    >
    > Guenther


    Thanks Guenther,
    -tom
     
  7. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact crank
    > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the square
    > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?


    The Miche Primato GranTour Compact uses ISO taper and uses the standard
    102mm Campagnolo Record/Chorus BB size. It almost has the same q-factor
    as Record/Chorus doubles also (2-3mm wider for the Miche). It comes with
    50/34 chainrings and 102mm Miche BB, very nice finish. Weight of crankset is
    664 grams and BB is 218 grams (on par with Chorus).


    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact crank
    > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the square
    > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > thanks,
    > -tom
    >
    >
     
  8. Joselas

    Joselas Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact crank
    > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the

    square
    > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > thanks,
    > -tom
    >
    >


    Shimano 110 bb and yes to 10 speed compatible.

    IMPACT COMPACT
    Length = 165 170 172.5 175 mm
    Crank extractor integrated
    Colors : black chainring with silver cranks
    Combinaisons : 50/36 & 48/34
    Preconised axle = jp 400 en lg 110 mm
    INdexation CSA 9/10 speed
    Weight = 630 grs

    If you're looking for an alternative to 53/39 gearing I would think you
    should go 48/34. For me, with a 48/12 and a 12-25 in back I can climb steep
    hills all day. The only place I ever need greater than a 48-12 is on very
    fast group rides, and even then it's only towards the end of the ride on a
    long slight downhill where it becomes hard to keep up such a high cadence.
     
  9. Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact crank
    > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the square
    > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > thanks,
    > -tom
    >
    >


    Yes it is w/o problem.

    The taper is shimano-esque, which means it requires a taper that is
    larger. So, the crank 'may' go on to far, bottoming before
    tightening.But it may be OK-torque it on, check chainline and look to
    see how far it is on.
     
  10. "Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact crank
    > > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    > > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the

    square
    > > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > > thanks,
    > > -tom
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Yes it is w/o problem.
    >
    > The taper is shimano-esque, which means it requires a taper that is
    > larger. So, the crank 'may' go on to far, bottoming before
    > tightening.But it may be OK-torque it on, check chainline and look to
    > see how far it is on.


    Thanks Peter,
    This way my only cash flow will be for the crank, as I will use the existing
    BB.
    -tom
     
  11. Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > "Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank

    (compact crank
    > > > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo

    10
    > > > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit

    the
    > square
    > > > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > > > thanks,
    > > > -tom
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > Yes it is w/o problem.
    > >
    > > The taper is shimano-esque, which means it requires a taper that is
    > > larger. So, the crank 'may' go on to far, bottoming before
    > > tightening.But it may be OK-torque it on, check chainline and look

    to
    > > see how far it is on.

    >
    > Thanks Peter,
    > This way my only cash flow will be for the crank, as I will use the

    existing
    > BB.
    > -tom


    You're worrying about the cash flow on a $10 to $17 bottom bracket?
    Nashbar sells square taper bottom brackets ranging from its own brand
    for $10 all the way up to $17 for the Shimano UN72. I doubt your much
    more expensive new crankset will be harmed by driving it onto a
    different taper bottom bracket. But why would you even take the chance
    when a pittance wouod get you the correct bottom bracket.

    http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?...=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1&pagename=
     
  12. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > "Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > > > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank

    > (compact crank
    > > > > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo

    > 10
    > > > > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit

    > the
    > > square
    > > > > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > > > > thanks,
    > > > > -tom
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > Yes it is w/o problem.
    > > >
    > > > The taper is shimano-esque, which means it requires a taper that is
    > > > larger. So, the crank 'may' go on to far, bottoming before
    > > > tightening.But it may be OK-torque it on, check chainline and look

    > to
    > > > see how far it is on.

    > >
    > > Thanks Peter,
    > > This way my only cash flow will be for the crank, as I will use the

    > existing
    > > BB.
    > > -tom

    >
    > You're worrying about the cash flow on a $10 to $17 bottom bracket?
    > Nashbar sells square taper bottom brackets ranging from its own brand
    > for $10 all the way up to $17 for the Shimano UN72. I doubt your much
    > more expensive new crankset will be harmed by driving it onto a
    > different taper bottom bracket. But why would you even take the chance
    > when a pittance wouod get you the correct bottom bracket.
    >
    >

    http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?...=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1&pagename=
    >


    You got your budget, I got mine.
    If Peter says my existing BB will work, then I trust him...this is what
    makes the RBT site work.
    I asked a specific question and Peter answered it.
    If you did your homework, the Campagnolo ball bearing bb that I have will
    outlast any Nashbar, or Shimano sealed bb, so you will end up in the long
    run paying more.
    I have a Campagnolo BB ball bearing on one of my bikes that's going on 20
    years, and that's not bike that sits. Some of these sealed bb's don't even
    last a year.

    I also support my LBS. Nothing against Nashbar other than they clutter my
    mailbox.
    -tom
     
  13. If you're on a budget, why not just throw this baby on there and be
    happy. From http://www.theped.com/blowout.htm:

    >RSX double cranks 170mm 36,46 $29.95 These cranks are OEM,
    >(Original Equipment for Manufacturers), they are new and never

    installed on
    >bikes but they are not in the box.


    I guess you will need to find a cheap 50t. Should be easy to find at
    the upcoming swap meets.

    dkl


    Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > > "Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]
    > > > > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > > > > > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank

    > > (compact crank
    > > > > > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the

    Campagnolo
    > > 10
    > > > > > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will

    fit
    > > the
    > > > square
    > > > > > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    > > > > > thanks,
    > > > > > -tom
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Yes it is w/o problem.
    > > > >
    > > > > The taper is shimano-esque, which means it requires a taper

    that is
    > > > > larger. So, the crank 'may' go on to far, bottoming before
    > > > > tightening.But it may be OK-torque it on, check chainline and

    look
    > > to
    > > > > see how far it is on.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks Peter,
    > > > This way my only cash flow will be for the crank, as I will use

    the
    > > existing
    > > > BB.
    > > > -tom

    > >
    > > You're worrying about the cash flow on a $10 to $17 bottom bracket?
    > > Nashbar sells square taper bottom brackets ranging from its own

    brand
    > > for $10 all the way up to $17 for the Shimano UN72. I doubt your

    much
    > > more expensive new crankset will be harmed by driving it onto a
    > > different taper bottom bracket. But why would you even take the

    chance
    > > when a pittance wouod get you the correct bottom bracket.
    > >
    > >

    >

    http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?...=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1&pagename=
    > >

    >
    > You got your budget, I got mine.
    > If Peter says my existing BB will work, then I trust him...this is

    what
    > makes the RBT site work.
    > I asked a specific question and Peter answered it.
    > If you did your homework, the Campagnolo ball bearing bb that I have

    will
    > outlast any Nashbar, or Shimano sealed bb, so you will end up in the

    long
    > run paying more.
    > I have a Campagnolo BB ball bearing on one of my bikes that's going

    on 20
    > years, and that's not bike that sits. Some of these sealed bb's

    don't even
    > last a year.
    >
    > I also support my LBS. Nothing against Nashbar other than they

    clutter my
    > mailbox.
    > -tom
     
  14. bfd

    bfd Guest

    d states:

    <If you're on a budget, why not just throw this baby on there and be
    happy. From http://www.theped.com/blowout.­htm:

    >RSX double cranks 170mm 36,46 $29.95 These cranks are OEM,
    >(Original Equipment for Manufacturers), they are new and never

    installed on
    >bikes but they are not in the box. >


    FYI, I was there last year and bought the LAST ONE! They really need
    to update that website.

    I'm trying out the crank to see whether I like a "compact" crank. So
    far, I like the 36t as it helps lower the gears for climbing. I'll
    probably look for a 48t big chainring as I spin out in the 46t;
    although its good for rollers.
     
  15. bfd wrote:
    > d states:
    >
    > <If you're on a budget, why not just throw this baby on there and be
    > happy. From http://www.theped.com/blowout.­htm:
    >
    > >RSX double cranks 170mm 36,46 $29.95 These cranks are OEM,
    > >(Original Equipment for Manufacturers), they are new and never

    > installed on
    > >bikes but they are not in the box. >

    >
    > FYI, I was there last year and bought the LAST ONE! They really need
    > to update that website.


    Basterds! Well thanks for the heads-up. You saved me half of April
    3rd since I guess I won't shlep up to their swapmeet now.

    > I'm trying out the crank to see whether I like a "compact" crank. So
    > far, I like the 36t as it helps lower the gears for climbing. I'll
    > probably look for a 48t big chainring as I spin out in the 46t;
    > although its good for rollers.


    If you decide you don't like it I'd like to give it a try - thanks
    again.

    Doug
     
  16. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tom Nakashima <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >"eflayer2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> I own one of these cranks. I don't know if this will help, but I have
    >> it mounted on a standard Shimano un72 square taper bb. I do not know
    >> about whether or not it is 10 speed compatible.
    >> Tom Nakashima wrote:
    >> > I'm interested in purchasing the Stronglight Impact Crank (compact

    >> crank
    >> > 50/36), but was wondering if it's compatible with the Campagnolo 10
    >> > drivetrain? Also if the taper of the Stronglight Crank will fit the

    >> square
    >> > taper of a Campagnolo 111 bb?
    >> > thanks,
    >> > -tom

    >
    >Thanks, how do you like the crank, the 50/36? All I been riding with is a
    >53/39 and before that the older 52/52 combination. I worked out the gear
    >calculation for a 39/27 and a 36/27, and there only seems to be gear inch
    >change of 3.0 or a gear ratio change of .2


    _ Do it as percentages or speed at rpm and it will look like more
    of a change[1]. Gear inches are not a very intiutive measure.
    It's 6.4 mph vs 7 mph at 60rpm, or roughly 10% easier.

    Personally, I like either a 50/34 or 52/36, the front shifting
    is still good enough and you get a wider range of gears.

    _ Booker C. Bense


    [1]- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQjXpnGTWTAjn5N/lAQGBRgP/UJR35BLNbich2/dYy80cWjQjs5vFsJCD
    nXxrRSs2QgGEI8dTT78mUTyxbmcB8MBD3gUQxT8CGR/XrQxswaVH/SBRNBXhcSFb
    jfgknAX/HAThMrjJ5ZpYtr08HzfI7Fu7ep4rNmJcgV51iSAR4p5J77ENvYB9qUPe
    YIB8cXlKqBs=
    =izjS
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
  17. Andrew Karre

    Andrew Karre Guest

    Not to take issue with budgets at all, but those Shimano sealed
    square-taper BBs are an absolute bargain. Say what you will about
    Shimano, but it's great that they still sell a decent variety of very
    good-quality BBs for a standard they consider out of date. Now, if they
    would only bring back those marvelous 110/74 Deore cranks . . .

    Andrew Karre
     
  18. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Not to take issue with budgets at all, but those Shimano sealed
    > square-taper BBs are an absolute bargain. Say what you will about
    > Shimano, but it's great that they still sell a decent variety of very
    > good-quality BBs for a standard they consider out of date. Now, if they
    > would only bring back those marvelous 110/74 Deore cranks . . .
    >

    Agree, shimano un-5x and 7x are fantastic bbs. However, how much better are
    those 110/74 Deore over say Sugino XD-600 110/74 triple crank, like this one
    here:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2

    The above crank is a fantastic deal and can be found for as low as $70!
     
  19. Andrew Karre wrote:

    > Not to take issue with budgets at all, but those Shimano sealed
    > square-taper BBs are an absolute bargain. Say what you will about
    > Shimano, but it's great that they still sell a decent variety of very
    > good-quality BBs for a standard they consider out of date. Now, if they
    > would only bring back those marvelous 110/74 Deore cranks . . .


    Then there's the freewheel issue...Shimano's new design freewheel has
    given new life to the obsolete thread on system. It's dirt cheap and
    notably superior to all previous thread-on freewheels.

    In addition to the Alpine 11-34, they have just come out with an 11-28
    variant on the same wonderful body.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7

    It is surprising that the company that made the cassette Freehub into
    the de facto standard is _also_ the only company making really good
    traditonal freewheels.

    Sheldon "Shimano Rules!" Brown
    +-----------------------------------------------+
    | A government that robs Peter to pay Paul |
    | can always depend upon the support of Paul. |
    | --George Bernard Shaw |
    +-----------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
     
  20. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Andrew Karre wrote:

    > Not to take issue with budgets at all, but those Shimano sealed
    > square-taper BBs are an absolute bargain. Say what you will about
    > Shimano, but it's great that they still sell a decent variety of very
    > good-quality BBs for a standard they consider out of date. Now, if they
    > would only bring back those marvelous 110/74 Deore cranks . . .


    Spend a little more for the Shimano bottom brackets that start with
    "UN" and avoid those that start with "LP".

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)
     
Loading...
Loading...