Stronglight Modele Depose Crankset

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bantae

I have a Stronglight Modele Depose Crankset that I am trying to find out some information about.
They came off of a old Gitane. The markings around the square taper hole are "Made in France"
and "Modele Depose" The other markings are 170 which is obviously the length and 14 x 125 which
I am guessing has something to do with the bolt pattern. The pedal threading appears to be
French and not 9/16.

I can provide pictures but I don't know how to post them to a web page.

Any info you can provide would be great.

Thanks

Eric Banta

Switch from aol.com to adelphia.net to reply.

>The other markings are 170 which is obviously the length and 14 x 125 which I am guessing has
>something to do with the bolt pattern. The pedal threading appears to be French

The other marking is the pedal size: 14 x 1.25mm, which is indeed French threading.

Russell

On 22 Feb 2003 15:21:12 -0800, [email protected] (BantaE) wrote:

>I have a Stronglight Modele Depose Crankset that I am trying to find out some information about.
>They came off of a old Gitane. The markings around the square taper hole are "Made in France" and
>"Modele Depose" The other markings are 170 which is obviously the length and 14 x 125 which I am
>guessing has something to do with the bolt pattern. The pedal threading appears to be French and
>not 9/16.
>
>I can provide pictures but I don't know how to post them to a web page.
>
>Any info you can provide would be great.
>
>Thanks
>
>Eric Banta
>
>Switch from aol.com to adelphia.net to reply.

"Modele depose" is just French for "registered design". In olden days, Stronglight basically made
three main patterns of cranks, a TA Cyclotouriste type, a Campag 144mm BCD (smallest ring is 42T)
compatible road race and a model with a smaller BCD of 86mm (smallest ring is 28T) for touring. The
latter were made in various models, the most common being Model 99.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

"BantaE" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a Stronglight Modele Depose Crankset that I am trying to find out some information about.
> They came off of a old Gitane. The markings around the square taper hole are "Made in France" and
> "Modele Depose" The other markings are 170 which is obviously the length and 14 x 125 which I am
> guessing has something to do with the bolt pattern. The pedal threading appears to be French and
> not 9/16.
>
> I can provide pictures but I don't know how to post them to a web page.
>
> Any info you can provide would be great.

Modele Depose is just the equivalent of "patented"

170 is the length as you surmised.

Your Stronglight crank might be a type 49D which interchanges rings (in pairs only ) with TA classic
Cyclotouriste and Criterium models. Type 49D have the name "stronglight" in a pretty starburst in
the middle of the arm and a five-bolt interface right at the base of the arm,50mm diameter .

It is more likely a type 93 which was the standard French competition crank of the seventies
(smallest ring 38t). The arm is quite "square-ish" with a straight line down the side from end to
end. The name is small at the spindle end across the arm, not lengthwise. There were also later
models (105, 106) which interchange to Campagnolo Nuovo Record chainrings. Those generally are
waisted like a Nuovo Record arm. The sensible Stronglight 99 with its 86mm diameter was never very
popular on new bicycles but it's a possibility. Write with some better description.

The 14x1.25 marking is for a French dimension pedal thread. If you tap them larger to ISO British (
only a scant 0.013 inches) it's nice to mark the crank for the next guy who works on the bike ( as
you stamp oversized cyliders).

It is also likely the crank remover is larger than today's 22mm standard. The removing tool is
available. A 16mm crank bolt would indicate the older extractor thread, later 22mm models shipped
with 14mm bolts.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

[email protected] (BantaE) wrote in message
> markings around the square taper hole are "Made in France" and "Modele Depose" The other markings
> are 170 which is obviously the length and 14 x 125 which I am guessing has something to do with
> the bolt pattern. The pedal threading appears to be French and not 9/16.
>
> Eric Banta
>
> Switch from aol.com to adelphia.net to reply.

modèle deposé = patented

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Modele Depose is just the equivalent of "patented"

That would explain why I found nothing when I searched for that as a model name.

> It is more likely a type 93 which was the standard French competition crank of the seventies
> (smallest ring 38t). The arm is quite "square-ish" with a straight line down the side from end to
> end. The name is small at the spindle end across the arm, not lengthwise. There were also later
> models (105, 106) which interchange to Campagnolo Nuovo Record chainrings. Those generally are
> waisted like a Nuovo Record arm. The sensible Stronglight 99 with its 86mm diameter was never very
> popular on new bicycles but it's a possibility. Write with some better description.

I found some pics online (ebay) of the cranks. It sounds from you description that they ar
the type 93.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2709039222&category=7298

> The 14x1.25 marking is for a French dimension pedal thread. If you tap them larger to ISO British
> ( only a scant 0.013 inches) it's nice to mark the crank for the next guy who works on the bike (
> as you stamp oversized cyliders).

Is taping it out to 9/16 considered an easy or dificult job. I found a shop that said they have the
taps to do it.

Thanks for the help

Eric Banta

switch from aol.com to adelphia.net to reply

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Modele Depose is just the equivalent of "patented"
>

> That would explain why I found nothing when I searched for that as a model name.
>
"am"> > It is more likely a type 93 which was the standard French competition crank
> > of the seventies (smallest ring 38t). The arm is quite "square-ish"
with a
> > straight line down the side from end to end. The name is small at the spindle end across the
> > arm, not lengthwise. There were also later
models
> > (105, 106) which interchange to Campagnolo Nuovo Record chainrings.
Those
> > generally are waisted like a Nuovo Record arm. The sensible Stronglight
> > with its 86mm diameter was never very popular on new bicycles but it's a possibility. Write with
> > some better description.

"be"> I found some pics online (ebay) of the cranks. It sounds from you
> description that they ar the type 93.
>
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2709039222&category=7298
>
>
> > The 14x1.25 marking is for a French dimension pedal thread. If you tap
them
> > larger to ISO British ( only a scant 0.013 inches) it's nice to mark the crank for the next guy
> > who works on the bike ( as you stamp oversized cyliders).
>
> Is taping it out to 9/16 considered an easy or dificult job. I found a shop that said they have
> the taps to do it.

oui! ( or is it <<zut!>> ?) that's a type 93 Stronglight . Nice product, IMHO in that it is light,
pretty and takes a 38!

You'll need 23.35mm* Stronglight puller. _Do not_ use a TA crank remover** in it, Park
notwithstanding***

Tapping 9/16" to 14mm is simple. You are really only removing a small whisp of material. I didn't
pull the 0.013 inches out of the air. I looked it up.

* I looked that up, too - I knew it was bigger but what were they smoking?
23.35mm?? **TA is 23mm. *** Park once made a tool advertised as suitable for 23mm and 23.35mm cranks
on the same thread. Maybe someone _else's_ cranks. . .

--

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> oui! ( or is it <<zut!>> ?) that's a type 93 Stronglight . Nice product, IMHO in that it is light,
> pretty and takes a 38!

By "takes a 38" am I correct in assuming you mean a 38t chainring? I would have to agree with you
that it is pretty, and when you consider I rescued it from the dump it makes it even sweeter. I
can't wait to get it on my first fixed gear bike that has been my winter project.

> You'll need 23.35mm* Stronglight puller. _Do not_ use a TA crank remover** in it, Park
> notwithstanding***

I used one of my Park pullers on it I don't know the model off the top of my head (and would have to
move the truck and 4 bikes to get to it) but it is one with a reversable head.

> Tapping 9/16" to 14mm is simple. You are really only removing a small whisp of material. I didn't
> pull the 0.013 inches out of the air. I looked it up.

Am I trying to go "to 9/16" or "to 14mm" to use current pedals?

Again thanks for all your help Andrew.

Eric Banta switch from aol.com to adelphia.net to reply

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> > oui! ( or is it <<zut!>> ?) that's a type 93 Stronglight . Nice
product,
> > IMHO in that it is light, pretty and takes a 38!

> By "takes a 38" am I correct in assuming you mean a 38t chainring? I would have to agree with you
> that it is pretty, and when you consider I rescued it from the dump it makes it even sweeter. I
> can't wait to get it on my first fixed gear bike that has been my winter project.

Yes 38t is the smallest possible ring for a 93.

"am"> > You'll need 23.35mm* Stronglight puller. _Do not_ use a TA crank remover**
> > in it, Park notwithstanding***

"eb"> I used one of my Park pullers on it I don't know the model off the top
> of my head (and would have to move the truck and 4 bikes to get to it) but it is one with a
> reversable head.

Glad that worked out OK. Is isn't a great fit IMHO.

"am"> > Tapping 9/16" to 14mm is simple. You are really only removing a small
> > whisp of material. I didn't pull the 0.013 inches out of the air. I
looked
> > it up.

"eb"> Am I trying to go "to 9/16" or "to 14mm" to use current pedals?

The earlier French standard 14mm is slightly smaller. Tapping to the ISO standard 9/16" is trivially
simple and quick. Do make a notation on the crank that it is _not_ 14x1.25 any longer.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.