Strongly Considering WW, have questions

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skiur, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    I've done Jenny Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I understand
    that this was an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having a hard time differentiating the two).

    In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and working
    out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain foods. It took
    me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain occurred because I
    stopped paying attention to what I ate.

    I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    myself up for "failing" and I don't need to do that to myself.

    My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you have to buy
    to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other than the
    weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

    Thanks for answering my questions.

    Julie

    Tags:

  2. Kathy Rip

    Kathy Rip Guest

    >My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you have to
    >buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other than
    >the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    >Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    >Julie

    Hi Julie! I'll answer your questions and I'm sure others will too..

    1) my registration was free when I joined r4 weeks ago. I pay $9.95 per week and I get two passes
    every 6 months for when I am on vacation or can't go to a meeting. I did buy the "dining out
    guide" for around $9-10 because I do go out to eat a lot and I wanted to know the points. However
    you don't have to buy that. The points are listed on the internet at places like www.dwlz.com and
    www.dietfacts.com.

    2)At the meetings you weigh-in, celebrations are done (lose 5 lbs get a bookmark, etc.), then we
    talk about that weeks topic. At my meeting last week was "dining out" and this week was
    "breakfast". My leader talked about the importance of eating breakfast, low point breakfast
    ideas, etc.

    3)I pretty much answered that in #2, but each week is a different topic.

    Kathy

  3. Laura

    Laura Guest

    My registration was free too (until March 31 it is free in the usa)

    I pay $12 per meeting but bought a $108 prepaid plan for 10 meetings.

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    > want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    > I've done
    Jenny
    > Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I understand that this was
    > an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having
    > hard time differentiating the two).
    >
    > In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    > working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain
    > foods. It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    > occurred because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >
    > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    > don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    > myself up for "failing" and
    > don't need to do that to myself.
    >
    > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    > Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    > Julie

  4. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    Hi Julie from another Julie! WW is a great program - there are even a lot of people here who don't
    go to meetings (if that's not your thing), so it's flexible enough to suit your lifestyle. Others
    have answered your specific questions, so I'll just add the official welcome notice. There's a lot
    of good info in there too.

    Welcome to this great newsgroup where you'll receive lots of support, advice, and encouragement.
    Once a week on Sundays, I post a list of links that newcomers to asdww might find useful. You may
    want to look for that later in the week, or do a backwards search for last Sunday's post.

    In the meantime, here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ our welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    Frequently seen acronyms on this NG: NSV = Non-Scale Victory WOE = Way of Eating WOL = Way of Life
    (Living) OP = on Points or On Program DH = Dear or Darling Husband
    DS/DD/DGD/etc = Dear or Darling Son, Daughter, Granddaughter, etc WI = Weigh-in

    Amberle3's Challenges:

    THTP - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm

    RafL - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

    Other acronyms: http://www.wwlissa.com/dwlz100+/100+acronyms.htm

    Here's a short synopsis of the USA program by Joyce -

    How many points you can eat is only based on your current weight, as you lose weight those points
    allowed will decrease (logic is that your body will need less to operate). At 183 pounds and based
    on the new US flexpoints system, you will have a set point target of 24. In addition to this you are
    allowed 35 flexpoints to be used throughout the week ... as well as any activity points you earn on
    a particular day. When your weight drops to 175, your target drops to 22 points ... weight reaches
    150, target once again drop to 20 points. 3 servings of dairy of recommended per day, 5 servings of
    fruit and veggies, minimum of 6 glasses of water.

    To calculate food and activity points, I love this computer desktop calculator ...
    http://www.zythra.com/downloads/points.exe

    The basic plan is easy. Eat at least your minimum daily number of points. Points do not carry over
    from day to day. You are allotted 35 weekly flexpoints to be used at your discretion ... can divide
    them up and use daily (would be an additional 5 points per day) or save them and use them for a
    special occassion during the week. Activity points are earned based when exercising, but can ONLY be
    used on the day they are earned.

    If you can afford $15/month, the online ww program might be a great thing for you to look into.
    There is lots of information available, as well as the food point database and journaling system.

    Joyce WW starting weight: 228.8 - 2/5/02 current weight: 133.3 Lifetime: 4/4/03

    Please note that if you live in onther countries (UK, Australia, NZ, Europe), the Points plans are
    different. The UK and Australia/NZ calculate points based on saturated fat and total kilojoules.
    Most of Europe calculates based on total fat and total kilojoules. The desktop calculator above can
    handle all of these programs.

    Disclaimer: As an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup, asdww is unusual in that most of the people who
    participate are respectful, considerate folks who freely share their experience with and knowledge
    of WW, weight loss, and maintenance. Yet occasionally, spammers, trolls, and flamers show up to post
    advertising, false information, insults, and the like. Nearly all of the time, people like this are
    just trying to yank someone's chain. Most of the regulars on this newsgroup offer their experience
    as a suggestion to try if you're stuck, but are quick to advise that each person has to find what
    works for him/herself. If someone posts something that doesn't sound right to you, ask the
    newsgroup, ask your WW leader, or ask your health professional.

    Much success on your weight loss journey! WW works!

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    > want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    > I've done
    Jenny
    > Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I understand that this was
    > an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having
    > hard time differentiating the two).
    >
    > In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    > working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain
    > foods. It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    > occurred because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >
    > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    > don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    > myself up for "failing" and
    > don't need to do that to myself.
    >
    > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    > Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    > Julie

  5. Hello Julie,

    As others have stated there are only the registration (which is free sometimes, depending on the
    time of year) and the weekly meeting fees. There is nothing else to buy at all. I would highly
    recommend you have a food scale and good measuring cups and spoons to be successful though.
    Sometimes you are not truly aware of what a portion size is until it is measured or weighed. You
    learn over time what these are when you use your scale or measuring cups/spoons, but it is always
    good to check as portions tend to creep up and that can be detrimental to your weight loss efforts.
    I know my center has a getting started package that includes the Dining Out Guide and also the
    Complete Food Companion. These will help you a lot to determine portion sizes and point values.
    There are also available to you in the WW center, cookbooks, WW magazine, 2 point snack bars,
    smoothie mixes, pedometer, exercise videos/DVDs and other things to help you along your journey, BUT
    none of them are required, the only think you are required to pay is your weekly meeting fee. I
    highly recommend getting the 10 week block of coupons as you normally get about $1 off per week
    buying them in advance, I also like it as you don't have to wait in line to pay AND wait in line to
    weigh. You can just go straight to the scale and weigh in.

    The meetings are a support group. The topics change each week, typically the week runs Sunday-
    Saturday, so the topic would be the same all week, but different leaders offer different information
    based on their experience, so if it is a particularly good topic, you could go to more than one
    meeting for just the one fee for the week. There is so much to the group support, as everyone offers
    their experience in what they do along this journey. I know there are weeks, when sometimes the
    topic is barely touched on as someone is dealing with a situation that is difficult for them and we
    all offer our help with the issue at hand. I know I love my group and all the members in it, we are
    like a big family and support and help each other immensely. We do celebrations too, and like
    someone else mentioned, they are 5 lb bookmark, then you get a star for ever 5 lbs lost after that,
    then there is the 25 lb and 50 lb magnets, and also the 10% keychain, there is also the 16 weeks of
    attendance charm and the other charms that are for reaching goal and then making lifetime. Of course
    the ultimate goal is to be at lifetime so you can continue to attend meetings free of charge as long
    as you are no more than 2 lbs over your declared goal weight.

    I love the program and highly recommend it. It is a real livable program that you can work around
    any dietary needs you may have. If there is something you don't like, you don't have to have it, if
    there is something you love, there are no restrictions as long as it fits with in your points
    available to you. It is a livable plan, that you can follow for life.

    Debbie

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    > want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    > I've done
    Jenny
    > Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I understand that this was
    > an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having
    > hard time differentiating the two).
    >
    > In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    > working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain
    > foods. It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    > occurred because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >
    > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    > don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    > myself up for "failing" and
    > don't need to do that to myself.
    >
    > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    > Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    > Julie

  6. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    First I have to say the WW and JC are totally different. I ate many of the same foods on WW that I
    eat when I am eating exactly what I want to eat, and not on any sort of WOE, or plan of any kind. I
    did begin to eat more like I Wanted to eat (nutritionally), but made room for my favorites as well,
    just not every day. I also have done every program there is, and find myself now 209 pounds less
    than my heaviest ever weight, and going to meetings for free (on lifetime) when I need some extra
    motivation to stick with my healthy lifestyle. That said...
    > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)?

    **ZERO, nothing, nada. You may buy some other things if you wish to, but you can do the program
    perfectly well with the weekly meeting fee. I used to give myself little treats ( a new WW mug, a
    magazine, a bracelet ) when I lost 5 pounds.
    > What happens at meetings other than the weekly weigh-in?

    ****They teach tools for living, and share experiences. You learn how other people are succeeding
    and watch what messes other people up.
    > What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

    All kinds of things. They have a whole program of stuff. Some of the things that helped me this
    time, were making a storyboard (a picture book of where I was going) formulating a winning outcome,
    all kinds of stuff. Too much to put here.
    > Thanks for answering my questions.

    Anytime, I hope you join us :)!!

    Lesanne
    365/157.5/157.5

  7. I've never tried Jenny Craig so I can't speak from personal experience about the program. But
    straight from the Jenny Craig Web site, here's why I won't consider it: "Jenny's delicious cuisine
    offers satisfying, nutritious and convenient meals and snacks that take the guesswork out of calorie
    counting, portion control and nutritional balance."

    In order for me to maintain my weight loss once I reach my goal, I have to know what foods I can eat
    in what quantities and learn how to integrate real-life events and occasions. What I'm learning on
    WW is that weight loss is the classroom for me to learn what I need to know for the rest of my life.
    Eating prepackaged and pre-portioned foods do nothing to teach me.

    Read this NG for a while and you'll discover that each of us is finding what works for us--sometimes
    by trial and error, sometimes by guesswork--all within the guidelines of WW. That's the genius of
    WW. You can make it fit your life.

    BTW, I don't attend WW meetings. I joined WW Online and use the online points tracker. I use this NG
    for support and encouragement and accountability.

    Prairie Roots
    232/158.8/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:51:48 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    >want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    >I've done Jenny Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I
    >understand that this was an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having a hard time
    >differentiating the two).
    >
    >In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    >working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain foods.
    >It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain occurred
    >because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >
    >I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    >don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    >myself up for "failing" and I don't need to do that to myself.
    >
    >My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you have to
    >buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other than
    >the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    >Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    >Julie

  8. first welcome to this group, You don't have to buy anything special to work
    the program, even though they do have some things that help some of us in
    our efforts. you should be able to save a bit if you commit to the ten or
    twelve week savings plan you get the meetings a bit cheaper. The food is
    what YOU want to purchase from your market. if you don't want to purchase
    more expensive items then don't. I actually think our overall food expenses
    have gone down, and I can tell you I have saved loads on not purchasing
    stomach remedies. The topics at our meetings have covered everything from
    shoe size, to recipes, to new products to the fact that I wear A size panty
    hose. Our leaders are open to questions and comments. The general topics,
    the "lessons" if you will are on a cycle but our leaders at the center I
    attend keep it fresh, some are, eating out, stress, goals, exercise,
    nutrition/carbos/ fat and the like. binges, water, mother in laws and pets
    taking your food have all been talked about. I wish you the best, I have
    lost a total of 86.1 pounds since a year ago Sept 18 and all but 14.5 pounds
    of that have been on WW and I will eat this way forever. It is not a diet,
    it is how I eat, Lee
    skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    > want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    > I've done
    Jenny
    > Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I understand that this was
    > an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having
    > hard time differentiating the two).
    >
    > In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    > working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain
    > foods. It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    > occurred because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >
    > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    > don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    > myself up for "failing" and
    > don't need to do that to myself.
    >
    > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    > Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    > Julie

  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Welcome. Well, the others have probably covered it all in various ways.

    You eat NORMAL foods that you buy at any market. You just learn how to portion it out so that you do
    not overeat. As was said, buying premeasured/preweighed foods gives you no skill in managing
    portions on your own. And if Jenny is intended to provide a kick or quick start, WW does it my
    immediately immersing you in learning what to do and how to do it. You also learn that blowing it on
    occasion is NOT the end of the world or the end of WW - just restart at the next meal or the next
    day or when the vacation ends.

    It works acceptionally well and teachs you NORMAL eating patterns so that your WOE and WOL match
    those of fit and healthy individuals.

    WW works:

    Fred
    219.2/157.6/164. (Lifetime July 2003) Started WW: Oct 29, 2002

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:51:48 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    >want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    >I've done Jenny Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I
    >understand that this was an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having a hard time
    >differentiating the two).
    >
    >In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    >working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain foods.
    >It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain occurred
    >because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >
    >I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    >don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    >myself up for "failing" and I don't need to do that to myself.
    >
    >My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you have to
    >buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other than
    >the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >
    >Thanks for answering my questions.
    >
    >Julie

  10. Great post Lee. Almost (not quite) makes me wish I went to meetings!

    Prairie Roots

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:45:49 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]d.net> wrote:

    >first welcome to this group, You don't have to buy anything special to work the program, even
    >though they do have some things that help some of us in our efforts. you should be able to save a
    >bit if you commit to the ten or twelve week savings plan you get the meetings a bit cheaper. The
    >food is what YOU want to purchase from your market. if you don't want to purchase more expensive
    >items then don't. I actually think our overall food expenses have gone down, and I can tell you I
    >have saved loads on not purchasing stomach remedies. The topics at our meetings have covered
    >everything from shoe size, to recipes, to new products to the fact that I wear A size panty hose.
    >Our leaders are open to questions and comments. The general topics, the "lessons" if you will are
    >on a cycle but our leaders at the center I attend keep it fresh, some are, eating out, stress,
    >goals, exercise, nutrition/carbos/ fat and the like. binges, water, mother in laws and pets taking
    >your food have all been talked about. I wish you the best, I have lost a total of 86.1 pounds since
    >a year ago Sept 18 and all but 14.5 pounds of that have been on WW and I will eat this way forever.
    >It is not a diet, it is how I eat, Lee skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zHSdnWSfurZuBbLdXTWc-
    >[email protected]
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    >> want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    >> I've done
    >Jenny
    >> Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing (I understand that this
    >> was an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having
    >> hard time differentiating the two).
    >>
    >> In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    >> working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain
    >> foods. It took me over 4 years to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    >> occurred because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    >>
    >> I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I might not stick with WW and I
    >> don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money on yet another program". I'm too good at beating
    >> myself up for "failing" and
    >> don't need to do that to myself.
    >>
    >> My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    >have
    >> to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    >> than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    >>
    >> Thanks for answering my questions.
    >>
    >> Julie

  11. To tell you the truth I am not by nature a joiner so it came as a real shock
    that I enjoy them so much. I get something from whatever meeting I attend,
    and I do prefer a particular leader. My favorite meeting is one that just
    has the most outrageous people and it is extremely fun. I miss that group
    but I can honestly say I don't ever invision a time when I only WI once a
    month. It seems so natural to go. I have never missed a WI and only one
    time did I do WI and leave the meeting early, I had to because of work but I
    will never do that again. It was my worst week on WW emotionally. Lee
    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    years
    > >> to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > >> because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >>
    > >> I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > >> not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > >> yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and
    > >> don't need to do that to myself.
    > >>
    > >> My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    > >have
    > >> to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > >> than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

  12. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Laura, I didn't know reg was free in the US. I think I'll check that out.

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > My registration was free too (until March 31 it is free in the usa)
    >
    > I pay $12 per meeting but bought a $108 prepaid plan for 10 meetings.
    >

    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    > > want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    > > I've done
    > Jenny
    > > Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing
    (I
    > > understand that this was an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm
    having
    > > hard time differentiating the two).
    > >
    > > In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    > > working out. The short version is that it was
    too
    > > difficult to maintain and I missed certain foods. It took me over 4
    years
    > > to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > > because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >
    > > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > > not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > > yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and
    > > don't need to do that to myself.
    > >
    > > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    > have
    > > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    > >
    > > Thanks for answering my questions.
    > >
    > > Julie

  13. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Kathy, Thanks for the info. I think that is what it costs here if I was reading correctly...I'll
    check online again.

    "Kathy Rip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m28.aol.com...
    > >My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > >to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > >than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    > >
    > >Thanks for answering my questions.
    > >
    > >Julie
    > >

    > Hi Julie! I'll answer your questions and I'm sure others will too..
    >
    > 1) my registration was free when I joined r4 weeks ago. I pay $9.95 per
    week
    > and I get two passes every 6 months for when I am on vacation or can't go
    to a
    > meeting. I did buy the "dining out guide" for around $9-10 because I do
    go out
    > to eat a lot and I wanted to know the points. However you don't have to
    buy
    > that. The points are listed on the internet at places like www.dwlz.com
    and
    > www.dietfacts.com.
    >
    > 2)At the meetings you weigh-in, celebrations are done (lose 5 lbs get a bookmark, etc.), then we
    > talk about that weeks topic. At my meeting last
    week
    > was "dining out" and this week was "breakfast". My leader talked about
    the
    > importance of eating breakfast, low point breakfast ideas, etc.
    >
    > 3)I pretty much answered that in #2, but each week is a different topic.
    >
    > Kathy

  14. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Great name!

    Thank you for the newbie welcome. I saw the faq a bit earlier as I've been lurking for a few days,
    uncertain if I should speak-up. Everyone has done a great job with the FAQ, it's quite extensive. A
    friend at work told me about Dottie's site and I was checking it out Friday night trying to get a
    clue as to how many points were in my favorite foods. *cringe*

    Julie

    "JulieB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
> [...]
    years
    > > to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > > because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >
    > > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > > not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > > yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and
    > > don't need to do that to myself.
    > >
    > > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    > have
    > > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

  15. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Hi Debbie,

    We got a good set as Wedding presents (we're newlyweds). I think the Dining Out and the Complete
    Food companions are key. I like the idea of not waiting in line...

    I was wondering if the topics change daily or weekly. I'll keep that in mind and that way I can
    check out the different group leaders, etc. I think that part would be beneficial.

    Julie

    "Deb in Northern California" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    years
    > > to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > > because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >
    > > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > > not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > > yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and
    > > don't need to do that to myself.
    > >
    > > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    > have
    > > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

  16. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Lesanne,

    Congratulations! You've come a long way. How long have you been on your journey?

    I'm not a big fan of JC because of the aweful food and it being so expensive. It just wasn't worth
    it to me. When I joined JC (ancient history), I thought that was going to be it and I was going to
    lose weight. I did lose weight, but it was just too expensive and DH v.1 and I barely had the money
    for me to join and pay for the weekly foods, etc. I also had a problem looking at what he was eating
    and feeling like my food was just rabbit food.

    Julie

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > First I have to say the WW and JC are totally different. I ate many of
    the
    > same foods on WW that I eat when I am eating exactly what I want to eat,
    and
    > not on any sort of WOE, or plan of any kind. I did begin to eat more like
    > Wanted to eat (nutritionally), but made room for my favorites as well,
    just
    > not every day. I also have done every program there is, and find myself
    now
    > 209 pounds less than my heaviest ever weight, and going to meetings for
    free
    > (on lifetime) when I need some extra motivation to stick with my healthy lifestyle. That said...
    > > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    > have
    > > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)?
    >
    > **ZERO, nothing, nada. You may buy some other things if you wish to, but you can do the program
    > perfectly well with the weekly meeting fee. I used to give myself little treats ( a new WW mug, a
    > magazine, a bracelet ) when
    > lost 5 pounds.
    > > What happens at meetings other than the weekly weigh-in?
    >
    > ****They teach tools for living, and share experiences. You learn how
    other
    > people are succeeding and watch what messes other people up.
    > > What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    > >
    > All kinds of things. They have a whole program of stuff. Some of the things that helped me this
    > time, were making a storyboard (a picture book
    of
    > where I was going) formulating a winning outcome, all kinds of stuff. Too much to put here.
    > > Thanks for answering my questions.
    > >
    > Anytime, I hope you join us :)!!
    >
    > Lesanne
    > 365/157.5/157.5

  17. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Praire Roots,

    You're doing really well, congratulations!

    Yeah, the food was just aweful. I did learn what more "proper" portions look like, but I found that
    I prefered more food than the extra sauces-ick.

    I'll consider the online program. It looks like the calculators are useful and I think it would be
    nice to see efforts online.

    Julie

> [...]
    years
    > >to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > >because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >
    > >I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > >not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > >yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and I
    > >don't need to do that to myself.
    > >
    > >My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > >to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > >than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

  18. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Lee,

    That's wonderful! I'm amazed a the amount of progress that I see in what I consider a short time
    period. A year doesn't seem like a whole lot of time when you really think about it, but getting to
    that year is something else.

    Julie

    "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
> [...]
    years
    > > to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > > because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >
    > > I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > > not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > > yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and
    > > don't need to do that to myself.
    > >
    > > My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    > have
    > > to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > > than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?

  19. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Fred,

    Great job on your numbers!

    I get really hung up about blowing it-I tend to blow it on occassion and then I beat myself up. It's
    a habit I need to break.

    Julie

    > Welcome. Well, the others have probably covered it all in various ways.
    >
    > You eat NORMAL foods that you buy at any market. You just learn how to portion it out so that you
    > do not overeat. As was said, buying premeasured/preweighed foods gives you no skill in managing
    > portions on your own. And if Jenny is intended to provide a kick or quick start, WW does it my
    > immediately immersing you in learning what to do and how to do it. You also learn that blowing it
    > on occasion is NOT the end of the world or the end of WW - just restart at the next meal or the
    > next day or when the vacation ends.
    >
    > It works acceptionally well and teachs you NORMAL eating patterns so that your WOE and WOL match
    > those of fit and healthy individuals.
    >
    > WW works:
    >
    > Fred
    > 219.2/157.6/164. (Lifetime July 2003) Started WW: Oct 29, 2002
    >
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:51:48 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi everyone,
    > >
    > >I'm new to this ng, but not new to dieting. I've needed to lose a "few pounds" my entire life. I
    > >want to change my WOE for a healthier WOL-including exercise. I'm looking for a sustainable WOE.
    > >I've done
    Jenny
    > >Craig, it was too expensive. In my mind, WW and JC were the same thing
    (I
    > >understand that this was an old stereotype from years ago, but I'm having
    > >hard time differentiating the two).
    > >
    > >In the past when I've changed my WOE, I've been very single-minded in weightloss efforts and
    > >working out. The short version is that it was too difficult to maintain and I missed certain
    > >foods. It took me over 4
    years
    > >to get back to the weight where I started to LC. The weight gain
    occurred
    > >because I stopped paying attention to what I ate.
    > >
    > >I know that following a WOE comes from within. I'm concerned that I
    might
    > >not stick with WW and I don't want to beat myself up for "wasting money
    on
    > >yet another program". I'm too good at beating myself up for "failing"
    and I
    > >don't need to do that to myself.
    > >
    > >My questions are: Other than registration fees and weekly meeting fees, what else do you
    have
    > >to buy to start the program and how much is it (approximately)? What happens at meetings other
    > >than the weekly weigh-in? What types of topics are on offer for discussion?
    > >
    > >Thanks for answering my questions.
    > >
    > >Julie

  20. Fred

    Fred Guest

    If you want to control your weight and get to "normal" you do have to face the fact that what were
    favorite foods will have to shrink in portion sizes, at least. It is one of those adult moves we
    need to deal with (G)

    Best