Struggling after 90 mns..

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
I race in a competitive sube vets league every weekend for a fairly strong team. It is not unusual for us to have to work hard at setting a tough pace and also chase down various attacks etc for the first 50 or so Kms of a 80-100km race.

I am finding that my power takes a big dip after around 50kms and I am often dropped at this point. It is close but I just cant (don't) hang on, and end up in the gutter then off the back. I usually find that for the last 10 or 15kms I can finish really strongly and often end up doing all the pacing on the way in.

I also find that after a race like this I am particualryl sore in the quads and my cadence also drops into the 80s if I am not concentrating - I really seem to be trying to force the bike and lose my fluidity.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this and how I can focus on training that will help me stay in the bunch albeit sitting in until the end when I may be able to help my team leader again. It is not a case of not working at the start because I am committed to doing that.

My profile is more towards that of a climber as I am 68kgs and can struggle a bit more on the longer flatter stretches, especially into the wind.

Any thoughts out ther ?

Peter

Is it possible that you may be running out of fuel, or fluids ?

I find an enormous difference between 100km rides where I have been diligent about eating and drinking ... and where I have been distracted (eg by "chasing" efforts).