Struggling with PT SL

dazman

Feb 17, 2007
I recently ‘upgraded’ from a Polar 725 SX to a PT SL. I was initially pretty disappointed to see some key functions are not there (decent alphanumeric LCD display, file management, HR as percentage, altitude, temperature & coded HR) but I was encouraged by all the good reviews pointing towards power being the key metric anyway.

I’m working through the vibration issues and I hope with my new frame it will work better but I still have one serious issue and that’s regarding HR. I’m pretty tall – 6’3”, with long legs so I sit quite a distance from the handlebars and it seems to be out of the range of the strap/powertap, which is installed as low down on my stem as possible!!!

I’ve tried with new batteries all around, a polar T31 transmitter & also an old Nike strap, which all work close up but not when seated on the bike – am I stuck here or would a warranty replacement fix this? It says Pro 2.21 when it starts if that helps with the version..

dazman said:
.....I still have one serious issue and that’s regarding HR...
Do what I did.........keep using your Polar HRM to measure and record HR - its more reliable and has better functionality that the SL plus you can then set the lower line of the SL to read cadence and the S725X to read HR, split times etc :D ....best of both worlds that way :)

Try a handlebar mount and angle it back towards you. This solves the problem for some. The angle not the distance makesthe difference.

dazman said:
I recently ‘upgraded’ from a Polar 725 SX to a PT SL. I was initially pretty disappointed to see some key functions are not there (decent alphanumeric LCD display, file management, HR as percentage, altitude, temperature & coded HR) but I was encouraged by all the good reviews pointing towards power being the key metric anyway.

I’m working through the vibration issues and I hope with my new frame it will work better but I still have one serious issue and that’s regarding HR. I’m pretty tall – 6’3”, with long legs so I sit quite a distance from the handlebars and it seems to be out of the range of the strap/powertap, which is installed as low down on my stem as possible!!!

I’ve tried with new batteries all around, a polar T31 transmitter & also an old Nike strap, which all work close up but not when seated on the bike – am I stuck here or would a warranty replacement fix this? It says Pro 2.21 when it starts if that helps with the version..

Just burn your HR strap and rejoice in never having to collect such useless data again. Seriously. (well you don't have to burn it).

Anyway, i thought in the other thread you'd returned your hub ("i've sent it back for a refund" http://www.cyclingforums.com/t385551.html), or were you able to buy another PT late on sunday evening?

Ric

Gee, I think HR data is very important and I wouldn't want any powermeter that doesn't have one. That's one reason why I didn't like PT because it's not good with HR.

JTE83 said:
Gee, I think HR data is very important and I wouldn't want any powermeter that doesn't have one. That's one reason why I didn't like PT because it's not good with HR.
What is the significance of HR data if you have power data?
IOW, what can HR tell you that power can't?

Just curious,

Ken

This is my view on HR and maybe it only applies to me.

I stopped using my HR during indoor training because I found myself tapering off the effort because I kept thinking I was getting too close to MHR. So in effect for me I was limiting my effort rather than pushing harder. It became a device that I began to use in a negative way and I find others in the spin class doing the same. I have heard several times when some of the other class members are asked to increase the effort they respond, "But I am near MHR." Though I don't have a PM yet I can see that if I begin to go by HR numbers than my power may not increase as quickly because I am limiting the effort.

Again this thought may only apply to me and others perhaps can wear the HR without any negative impact to their training. :)

ric_stern/RST said:
why do you think it's important?
Surely knowing my HR/power ratio at various HR's and seeing it improve is a key metric to the whole power scenario?

My return is still being dealt with by Saris (competive cyclist will not refund) so I unpacked the thing and gave it another try today. It really is tantilising when it does work. I will be happy if I can use the PT for watts, speed & cadence and then the polar for time, altitude and coded HR. Merging the info back together for Polar sw or other display will be a pain but should be doable. Another plus is I will have 1+1 redundancy. If the PT breaks on a ride I'll still have HR as a fallback to train against and vice versa when the Polar stops with HR as it sometimes does.

dazman said:
Surely knowing my HR/power ratio at various HR's and seeing it improve is a key metric to the whole power scenario?

not really. One reason people go to power is because at a given intensity HR is extremely variable (e.g., due to cadence, temperature, anxiety, caffiene, what you've recently eaten, etc). Thus, it (HR) doesn't do any better when comparing it to power. What matters is whether you can learn to generate more power, irrespective of what HR it occurs at. I couldn't care less whether my HR when TTing is X b/min or X+30 b/min so long as my power is greater for the duration i race over. (your heart just does what it needs to, it's whether you can generate the power that is important)

Ric

HR is important to me because of HR / Power comparison and because when I workout I monitor my effort level to between 80% to 87% MHR for fat burning workouts. I only workout to burn fat and not race, but maybe I'll try high speed intervals one day to see if that works better too.

Yeah, my HR is just very high in very cold weather like 24F.

Whilst I haven't burnt my HR strap as Ric advocates, its sitting at the very bottom of a drawer, and is only resurrected when I ride with my Polar on the MTB. On the road bike where my structured training happens, HR has no place at all - redundant and irrelevant.

MidBunchLurker said:
Whilst I haven't burnt my HR strap as Ric advocates, its sitting at the very bottom of a drawer, and is only resurrected when I ride with my Polar on the MTB. On the road bike where my structured training happens, HR has no place at all - redundant and irrelevant.
Btw - I have to comment on the excellent customer service. They appear to be shipping new stuff in advance of my return, which will minimize the down time of this wheel. Hope to be able to post questions relating to power training, rather than the unit soon...

JTE83 said:
HR is important to me because of HR / Power comparison and because when I workout I monitor my effort level to between 80% to 87% MHR for fat burning workouts.
You don't have to "burn fat" to lose fat, but a myth busting aside...

JTE83 said:
I only workout to burn fat and not race
Excuse me for asking this to you, but if you "only workout to burn fat and not race" and you regulate your effort by your HR only, why even bother to train with power at all? I just don't get it.