Strumey Archer ASC (fixed) 3-speed hub

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Thomas Benson, May 29, 2003.

  1. There was one on sale for £30 in the classifieds of the CTC mag this morning. Gone long before I
    rang but exciting nevertheless.

    Has anyone ever used - or even seen - one of these? According to Sheldon Brown, they are extremely
    rare (last made around 1954).

    Tags:

  2. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    I bought a 1950 Russ a few years ago which has one on it. Superbly smooth ride switching betwen
    gears. The ability to drop the fixed ratio towards the end of a long day inthe saddle can be
    very helpful.

    Mine has a date code of June 1950 on the hub. For the hub to work correctly, it should be used with
    the ASC changer as well, otherwise it may slip in 1st or 2nd.

    £30 is very good value, I've seen them sell for 3 x that price

    Pete

  3. Thomas Benson wrote:

    There was one on sale for £30 in the classifieds of the CTC mag this morning. Gone long before I
    rang but exciting nevertheless.

    Wow, not surprised! These generally go for over 300 bucks (173 Guineas) on eBay.

    I like mine a lot. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/asc.html

    | I still feel that variable gears are only for people over | forty-five. Isn't it better to
    | triumph by the strength | of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? | We are getting
    | soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear! | --Henri Desgrange, _L'Equipe_ article of 1902 |