Stubborn BB

Thejoker

Guest
The dilema of the winter has arisen. I need to replace my BB and am unable to remove the toasted on
from my frame. The frame is a steel GT and the BB is a Shimano sealed unit. The left lock (steel) is
seized to the frame. Any suggestions as to removing the BB.

Ty

theJoker wrote:

> The dilema of the winter has arisen. I need to replace my BB and am unable to remove the toasted
> on from my frame. The frame is a steel GT and the BB is a Shimano sealed unit. The left lock
> (steel) is seized to the frame. Any suggestions as to removing the BB.

I bet you'll use anti-seize next time ;-)

Firstly, are you turning it the correct way (anti-clockwise)? Secondly, spray with penentrating lube
and leave overnight. Thirdly, try and get hold of the Park cartridge BB tool, which thoughtfully has
a socket drive to take a really big ratchet spanner. Finally, assuming the actual cartridge is out,
you can probably collapse the remaining sleeve in on itself by using a hammer and a drift on the
exposed threads. This obviously means a new BB or a spare sleeve from a scrapper.

theJoker wrote:
> The dilema of the winter has arisen. I need to replace my BB and am unable to remove the toasted
> on from my frame. The frame is a steel GT and the BB is a Shimano sealed unit. The left lock
> (steel) is seized to the frame. Any suggestions as to removing the BB.
>
> Ty
When I had to change my BB for the first time I found that the mounting cups were locktighted in and
that the BB shell was not properly chased the first time. Needless to say the it was a nightmare to
remove. My friend a locksmith, managed to get the drive side cup off but it took him almost two
hours of tapping away with a hammer and a screwdriver. The non drive side cup could not be coerced
out for anything. Out of desperation I took my bike frame to the LBS. He had a BB shell cutting tool
(?) that he said he hadn't used in 15 years. What the tool did was push on the cup from within the
BB shell while simultaneously pressing against the cup on its opposite side. Turning the tool's
handles in the direction that would extract the cup the cup came out of the shell in about one
minute. Moma mia!

Kenny Lee

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> theJoker wrote:
>
> > The dilema of the winter has arisen. I need to replace my BB and am unable to remove the toasted
> > on from my frame. The frame is a steel GT and the BB is a Shimano sealed unit. The left lock
> > (steel) is seized to the frame. Any suggestions as to removing the BB.
>
> I bet you'll use anti-seize next time ;-)
>
> Firstly, are you turning it the correct way (anti-clockwise)? Secondly, spray with penentrating
> lube and leave overnight. Thirdly, try and get hold of the Park cartridge BB tool, which
> thoughtfully has a socket drive to take a really big ratchet spanner. Finally, assuming the actual
> cartridge is out, you can probably collapse the remaining sleeve in on itself by using a hammer
> and a drift on the exposed threads. This obviously means a new BB or a spare sleeve from a
> scrapper.

Funny thing, The whole cartrige still remains in the frame. I have up till this point using a
Shimano BB tool. SUCKS S**T!. I have now sent ordered the above mentioned Park Tool.

And yes, when the new BB goes in I WILL be using anti lock!! =)

theJoker wrote: -snip stuck BB-
> Funny thing, The whole cartrige still remains in the frame. I have up till this point using a
> Shimano BB tool. SUCKS S**T!. I have now sent ordered the above mentioned Park Tool.
>
> And yes, when the new BB goes in I WILL be using anti lock!! =)

Both those tools have a propensity to slip under load.

We like the Tacx tool, which secures to the spindle and is then driven with a 30" adjustable wrench.
You can also secure the Tacx tool in a vise and turn the frame . It won't slip.