Stubborn tire remover thingy

Status

Don

Guest
Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I wrote
it down and then promptly lost the paper.

It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but is
too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor
would use. It was also not very common.

So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

[email protected] (Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14 @posting.google.com:

> Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
> wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.
>
> It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but
> is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
> Taylor would use. It was also not very common.
>
> So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their website. Blunt on the end
so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw it on their website. (how come they don't list 20"
Stelvio's?)

I think what you're thinking of is a tire putting on thing. Just use three regular tire irons (1),
or tire plastics to get the bead unseated then use the Crank Bros tool to zip the tire off.

1. I have had the damn things break so I carry three or four and the Crank Bros tool in my seat
bag. Try to find polycarbonate or ABS levers. The polyethylene (milk bottle plastic) aren't
worth ****.

"MLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14 @posting.google.com:
>
> > Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
> > wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.
> >
> > It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires
> > but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
> > Taylor would use. It was also not very common.
> >
> > So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don
> >

> Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their website. Blunt on the
> end so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw it on their website. (how come they don't
> list 20" Stelvio's?)

I have had the pleasure of watching this in action, http://tinyurl.com/r9q6 , called a Kool Stop
Tire Jack Haven't tried it myself. rorschandt

--
May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or

rorschandt, Thanks, we have a winner. The Kool Stop Tire Jack was what I was trying to remember. And
as an added bonus you gave a link for a really Kool on-line bike tool retail store. I had never
heard of Bike Tools Etc.

While we are on the topic of tire levers, I want to warn riders not to buy the blue Park levers that
come in a three pack. I have never used more poorly designed levers. The blunt end is too blunt and
shaped wrong. Hard to get it between the bead and rim and then it slips out. How can you get a tire
iron wrong? Park did.

I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat, single round stick with a grip
on one end and a way toooooo fat end that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can
not find mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park blue so I suspect
them again.

In continued Park bashing, I have one of their older chain cleaners that works very poorly. I wish
someone at Park actually rode a bike and worked on it occasionally.

The best tire levers I have are Specialized. They come in a snap together trio. The levers are flat
and wavy (side to side). Meaning to say they are kind of "C" shaped in one plane and "S" shaped in
the other. The have some ribs for grip. Anyway, they are the best. I have not been able to find them
in a long time. If I could, I would buy more sets so each of my rides could have them and then throw
out all my other levers. Don

news:<[email protected]>...

[email protected] (Don) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> rorschandt, Thanks, we have a winner. The Kool Stop Tire Jack was what I was trying to remember.
> And as an added bonus you gave a link for a really Kool on-line bike tool retail store. I had
> never heard of Bike Tools Etc.

I actually have yet to purchase from them. caveat emptor.Usually the LBS has it at the same price
(or close) and doesn't charge shipping.

> While we are on the topic of tire levers, I want to warn riders not to buy the blue Park levers
> that come in a three pack. I have never used more poorly designed levers. The blunt end is too
> blunt and shaped wrong. Hard to get it between the bead and rim and then it slips out. How can you
> get a tire iron wrong? Park did.

Park makes lots of good stuff, likely they specified the wrong plastic or there was a bad batch,etc.
Could be they just suck, I haven't used them.

> I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat, single round stick with a grip
> on one end and a way toooooo fat end that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can
> not find mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park blue so I suspect
> them again.

I have one and it is not made by Park. I found it laying in the street. I like it. Use with another
lever to get the bead up, shove the stick in and zing, the tire is off! When I worked in bike shops,
it was one of the coolest things invented if you changed ten or twenty tubes a day. Saves wear and
tear on the thumbs.

> In continued Park bashing, I have one of their older chain cleaners that works very poorly. I wish
> someone at Park actually rode a bike and worked on it occasionally.

I have a Park Chain tool from the '70s, that is like a big pair of pliers. Pops links apart in no
time, none of that "twist the little crank until the pin bends or jumps onto the chain plate" ****.

> The best tire levers I have are Specialized. They come in a snap together trio. The levers are
> flat and wavy (side to side). Meaning to say they are kind of "C" shaped in one plane and "S"
> shaped in the other. The have some ribs for grip. Anyway, they are the best. I have not been able
> to find them in a long time. If I could, I would buy more sets so each of my rides could have them
> and then throw out all my other levers. Don

Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/rb0z

happy trails, r

Terry bikes has one:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/7400000.lasso

But the best advice that I got on the subject was from Mark Stonich here or on the trike list. I am
not sure that I can repeat it with the same clarity. The trick with a stubborn tire is to get the
bead of one side of the tire down into the deepest part of the U shape of the cross section of the
wheel before trying to remove or replace it on the opposite side. The diameter of the tire is
narrowest there. Once you get one side into that low point, work (pull) the tire around both ways to
the opposite side. That will free up enough play to more easily remove it or replace it on the rim.

I bought the tool and then never used it. I have used the advice repeatedly.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

[email protected] (Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
> wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.
>
> It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but
> is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
> Taylor would use. It was also not very common.
>
> So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

> [email protected] (Don) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> > >
> > I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat, single round stick with a
> > grip on one end and a way toooooo fat end that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I
> > can not find mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park blue so I
> > suspect them again.

rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

I have one and it is not made by Park. I found it laying in the street. I
> like it. Use with another lever to get the bead up, shove the stick in and zing, the tire is off!
> When I worked in bike shops, it was one of the coolest things invented if you changed ten or
> twenty tubes a day. Saves wear and tear on the thumbs.

rorschandt, LOL---I found my Speed Stick in the street also. I thought it was my lucky day and felt
bad for the poor soul that lost it (probably from a jersey pocket). After I tried using it, I just
figured they threw it away :) Maybe is works great if you carry a real tire lever with you but I am
sure Speed Stick advertised it as "the only tool you will ever need to change a tire".

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C396E2.EF59A230 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's the only tool I have found that = I can install the
Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x 1 tire on my Velocity = Razor rim.

I always carry it with me in case of a flat knowing I would not be able = to get the tire back on
the rim without it.

Here's the link. http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html

John

"Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message = news:[email protected]...
> Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
> wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.
>=20
> It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but
> is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
> Taylor would use. It was also not very common.
>=20
> So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C396E2.EF59A230 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's = the only=20 tool I have
found that I can install the Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x = 1 tire=20 on my Velocity Razor
rim.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial>I always carry it with me in case of a flat = knowing I=20 would not be
able to get the tire back on the rim without =
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial>Here's the link. <A=20
href=3D"http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html">http://koolstop.com/=
brakes/accessories.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial>John</FONT></DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial>"Don" <</FONT><A = href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial>> wrote = in message=20
</FONT><A = href=3D"news:[email protected]"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>news:[email protected]</FONT><= /A><FONT=20
face=3DArial>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial>> Hi, A few = weeks ago one=20 of
the threads had mention of a good tool to<BR>> remove stubborn=20 tires. I wrote it
down and then promptly lost the<BR>> = paper.<BR>>=20 <BR>> It was not the Crank
Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and = it=20 works<BR>> great on cooperative tires
but is too wimpy for really = tough=20 jobs. I<BR>> think the tool recommended was
more like something = Tim=20 Taylor would<BR>> use. It was also not very
common.<BR>> = <BR>>=20 So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate
where = to<BR>> buy=20
iu. Thanks, Don</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C396E2.EF59A230--

I bought the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack at Cambie Cycles while visiting Vancouver. What a great tool;
it makes getting Vredenstein S-Licks on the rim an "easy" task. I always carry it with me. paul

"John W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's the only tool I have found that I can install the
> Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x 1 tire on my Velocity Razor rim.
>
> I always carry it with me in case of a flat knowing I would not be able to get the tire back on
> the rim without it.
>
> Here's the link. http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html
>
> John
>

> "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
> > wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.
> >
> > It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires
> > but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
> > Taylor would use. It was also not very common.
> >
> > So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don
>
> --

Status
Not open for further replies.