Stuck between bikes and wheels

gnomeinurlawn16

Aug 1, 2010
Hi guys and gals,

Ive been searching for a new bike and some new wheels and im stuck between two for both catagory and I need your help making the choice. For the bikes im stuck between this Jamis Xenith Race:2010 JAMIS BICYCLES - SPECIFICATIONS

and the Specialized Tarmac Comp Double Rival: Specialized Bicycle Components : Tarmac Comp Double Rival

now pretty much the only difference is the Sram Rival and the Shimano Ultegra but there is also the weight. The Jamis is said to be 17lbs but the Tarmac does not have a listed weight and that would help so if anyone knows how heavy it is, that would be awesome to let me know.

Now to the wheels. Both wheels I have found are very similar in price but one is about 100 grams lighter. Yeah, I know what your thinking, "just get that one you dummy!" well yeah its better but it doesent have the name and the looks the other one has. The lighter one is the American Classic Sprint 350:SPRINT 350
And the other is the Campagnolo (see I told you the name was a big one) Zonda:The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling - Zonda™ 2-Way Fit™

(and i told you it looked awesome, just look at the spoke pattern!)

Just to let you know something about my skill and abilities for reference, I am training to race for the next season and ive been riding for about a year and half now.

It's a wash on the bikes. Both are equally good. What you need is to test ride some bikes. Buy the one that fits best, rides best, appeals to you the most, and fits in your price range. As for the wheels, IMHO the Campy wheels are hands-down the better of the two. I've always thought that American Classic wheels were let down by their hubs, particularly the front hum. The Campy hubs are stellar, and the wheels are robust. The 100 g difference isn't worth worrying about.

With all that said, you should consider a better option on wheels. For the money those wheels cost, you could easily have a custom wheelset built that's at least as durable, likely lighter, and built for you and the way you ride.

wow thanks a lot, do you know of a place or website that allows you to make custom wheels? Like where might I be able to find that?

alienator said:
It's a wash on the bikes. Both are equally good. What you need is to test ride some bikes. Buy the one that fits best, rides best, appeals to you the most, and fits in your price range. As for the wheels, IMHO the Campy wheels are hands-down the better of the two. I've always thought that American Classic wheels were let down by their hubs, particularly the front hum. The Campy hubs are stellar, and the wheels are robust. The 100 g difference isn't worth worrying about.

With all that said, you should consider a better option on wheels. For the money those wheels cost, you could easily have a custom wheelset built that's at least as durable, likely lighter, and built for you and the way you ride.

gnomeinurlawn16 said:
wow thanks a lot, do you know of a place or website that allows you to make custom wheels? Like where might I be able to find that?

Some are listed here. Also a good number of local bike shops build wheels. A googling of "custom bicycle wheels" or "wheel builders" will likely also give a bunch of options.

But what is it excactly that makes the AC hubs not good and the Campy hubs good? unfortunetly the picture on the AC website has no veiw of the hubs so i dont know what tehy look like