stuck bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George Appleton, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Here is an old question. How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing
    a Shimano bracket. It worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of
    persuasion... and yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put me back on
    the road to true happiness?

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    George Appleton writes:

    > How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing a Shimano bracket. It
    > worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of persuasion... and yes
    > it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put me back on the road to true
    > happiness?

    That means this must be a 1.370 x 24F BB or at least that's what it should say on the right hand
    cup. Right hand cups are often installed by placing the tool in a vise and rotating the frame around
    as leverage. This was common with 36 x 24f Italian BB's that could unscrew in use if not extremely
    tight. The left hand thread makes this unnecessary so when your bike shop removes it for you, you
    don't need to make it that tight again.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.8.html

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > George Appleton writes:
    >
    > > How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing a Shimano bracket. It
    > > worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of persuasion... and
    > > yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put me back on the road to
    > > true happiness?
    >
    > That means this must be a 1.370 x 24F BB or at least that's what it should say on the right hand
    > cup. Right hand cups are often installed by placing the tool in a vise and rotating the frame
    > around as leverage. This was common with 36 x 24f Italian BB's that could unscrew in use if not
    > extremely tight. The left hand thread makes this unnecessary so when your bike shop removes it for
    > you, you don't need to make it that tight again.
    >
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.8.html

    Good advice but I tried it and the only thing that turned was my face... to bright red.

  4. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    George Appleton writes:

    > How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing a Shimano bracket. It
    > worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of persuasion... and yes
    > it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put me back on the road to true
    > happiness?

    Use a bigger wrench.

    I use a 12" Crescent wrench, leaning over the top-tube, bracking the frame against my legs and
    pulling slowly.

  5. He put it in a vice and used the bike for leverage. I don't think a longer wrench is going to be
    of much use.

    "Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > George Appleton writes:
    >
    > > How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing a Shimano bracket. It
    > > worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of persuasion... and
    > > yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put me back on the road to
    > > true happiness?
    >
    > Use a bigger wrench.
    >
    > I use a 12" Crescent wrench, leaning over the top-tube, bracking the frame against my legs and
    > pulling slowly.

  6. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    George Appleton wrote:
    > Here is an old question. How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for
    > removing a Shimano bracket. It worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any
    > amount of persuasion... and yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put
    > me back on the road to true happiness?

    George,

    You'll need something like the Park Tool Bottom Bracket Tapping Tool.

    http://www.parktool.com/images/tools/BTS_1.jpg

    You need to simultaneously "unscrew" the BB cup and push it out from within the BB shell. I've seen
    it done first hand with my bike frame. If you don't have the proper tool just take it to your local
    competent LBS and get done. My LBS did for me at no charge.

    Kenny Lee

  7. George Appleton wrote:

    > Here is an old question. How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for
    > removing a Shimano bracket. It worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any
    > amount of persuasion... and yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put
    > me back on the road to true happiness?

    solidly bolt the tool with a crankbolt and washer to the bracket. Put tool in large vise.
    Turn clockwise
    --
    Marten

  8. george-<< How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing a Shimano
    bracket. It worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of
    persuasion... and yes it is a reverse thread.

    TACX makes a nice tool that bolts onto the BB spindle, engaging the notches of the cup, then a big
    wrench and cheater bar.

  9. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Here is an old question. How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket?

    > I have the right tool for removing a Shimano bracket. It worked well for the left side. The drive
    > side won't respond to any amount of persuasion... and yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do
    > you possess that will put me back on the road to true happiness?

    The way I normally remove a stuck bottom bracket is to put a wrench on the end of the tool and pull
    on it. So far this has worked.

    When I used to spend eat my lunch at my local bike shop, they would save the "stuck" BBs for me.

    My suggestion to find that big friend of yours that doesn't climb too good but sprints real well and
    ask him if he help you can get the thing unstuck.

    In general, there is no advantage for a cyclist to have a strong upper body, but other than putting
    cheap tandems on roof racks, this is about the only time it pays off.

    Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs

  10. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > solidly bolt the tool with a crankbolt and washer to the bracket. Put tool in large vise. Turn
    > clockwise

    I second this suggestion. I would use penetrating oil, soaked the stuck BB facing down for a few
    minutes (fixed cup down). Then instead of putting it in a vise, I use a relatively heavy hammer and
    tap sharply (on the handle of the wrench, >12") to loosen. It works!

  11. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:27:58 -0700, "George Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here is an old question. How do I remove a stuck bottom bracket? I have the right tool for removing
    >a Shimano bracket. It worked well for the left side. The drive side won't respond to any amount of
    >persuasion... and yes it is a reverse thread. What secrets do you possess that will put me back on
    >the road to true happiness?

    The first thing is to firmly secure the BB wrench to the fixed cup. For this I have a 9/16" x 4"
    bolt and nut plus a couple of 1 7/8" OD washers. Place the wrench on the cup then pass the bolt
    (with one washer already in place) through the fixed cup and BB shell, and secure from the
    adjustable cup side with the other washer and nut.

    You're then free to wail away on the wrench with a rubber mallet, being careful to do so in the
    correct direction.

    Alternatively, Sheldon has some suggestions at:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

  12. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:27:58 -0700, "George Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What secrets do you possess that will put me back on the road to true happiness?

    Put the tool in a vice and turn the frame. It's good to use a quick release to hold the tool
    in the bb.