Stuck hydraulic brake hose

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew Vyrros, May 13, 2003.

  1. Help!

    I have a hydraulic disc brake hose that I cannot remove from its master cylinder (lever assembly).
    It's a Shimano Deore M525, which has a resin hose that screws directly into the cylinder (as opposed
    to ones like the XT version, where the hose attaches at a right angle via a bolt).

    The problem seems to be that the assembler torqued down the retaining nut too tight, and crushed the
    sealing olive too far into the cylinder. I managed to remove the nut, but I can't free the hose.
    I've tried pulling the damn thing as hard as I dare, but I'm afraid the hose will break leaving a
    stub deep inside there, and then I'll be SOL. I also tried squeezing the lever to pop it off via
    pressure, but that didn't work either.

    Any ideas how to liberate the hose without ruining the master cylinder?

    Thanks,

    --AV

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Andrew Vyrros" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Help!
    >
    > I have a hydraulic disc brake hose that I cannot remove from its master cylinder (lever assembly).
    > It's a Shimano Deore M525, which has a resin hose that screws directly into the cylinder (as
    > opposed to ones like the XT version, where the hose attaches at a right angle via a bolt).
    >
    > The problem seems to be that the assembler torqued down the retaining nut too tight, and crushed
    > the sealing olive too far into the cylinder. I managed to remove the nut, but I can't free the
    > hose. I've tried pulling the damn thing as hard as I dare, but I'm afraid the hose will break
    > leaving a stub deep inside there, and then I'll be SOL. I also tried squeezing the lever to pop it
    > off via pressure, but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Any ideas how to liberate the hose without ruining the master cylinder?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --AV

    Perhaps a Dremel with a small ball mill to cut through the olive and the hose? A cutoff wheel
    couldn't get close enough. I've no experience with XT's. You say the hose and olive are inside the
    fitting? I have broken off the barbed tube on a Hayes master cylinder so I understand your concern.
    It didn't take a lot of pulling to do it.

    Mike