Stuck link- Arggh!!

Gary Brunsdon

Guest
I recently replaced my casette, chain and one chain ring as it was worn.
When I replaced the chain there was one stuck link where I joined it.

I have tried several times to free the link using the chain remover but
after several attempts of pushing out the link from one side to the other,
and gently opening the sides of the link it STILL isn't free.

Anyone got any good ideas or am I doing something really stupid??

Fifi

> I have tried several times to free the link using the chain remover but
> after several attempts of pushing out the link from one side to the other,
> and gently opening the sides of the link it STILL isn't free.

When I rejoined my chain the link required a _LOT_ of force when pushing it
from side to side.

in message <[email protected]>, Gary Brunsdon
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I recently replaced my casette, chain and one chain ring as it was
> worn. When I replaced the chain there was one stuck link where I
> joined it.
>
> I have tried several times to free the link using the chain remover
> but after several attempts of pushing out the link from one side to
> the other, and gently opening the sides of the link it STILL isn't
> free.
>
> Anyone got any good ideas or am I doing something really stupid??

Your chain tool has two little shelves, one close to the 'far side', one
a little nearer to you. When you put the chain on the shelf near the
far side and push the rivet, that tightens the link. When you put the
chain on the shelf nearer you and push, that loosens the link.

> Fifi

Fifi? I thought you were Gary?

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:07:53 +0100, "Gary Brunsdon"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone got any good ideas

Take the affected link out and throw it away.

Whenever I replace a chain, I always need to lose a couple of links to
get the length right. Being a hoarder I never throw these links away
(by the year 2038 I'm hoping to save buying a whole chain !), so I can
just use a couple of my spares to swap out any link that's being
awkward.

On a ride just take the links off and run with a short chain. You can
get away with this pretty easily, so long as you avoid the obvious
gears.

--
Smert' spamionam

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:35:46 +0100, Andy Dingley <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Whenever I replace a chain, I always need to lose a couple of links to
> get the length right. Being a hoarder I never throw these links away
> (by the year 2038 I'm hoping to save buying a whole chain !),

Buy 88 get one free!

Colin

Gary Brunsdon wrote:
> Anyone got any good ideas

Chuck the dodgy link and get an SRAM powerlink instead.

d.

Gary Brunsdon wrote:
> I recently replaced my casette, chain and one chain ring as it was
> worn. When I replaced the chain there was one stuck link where I
> joined it.
>
> I have tried several times to free the link using the chain remover
> but after several attempts of pushing out the link from one side to
> the other, and gently opening the sides of the link it STILL isn't
> free.

Instructions: www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtchan.shtml

~PB

"Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:07:53 +0100, "Gary Brunsdon"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Anyone got any good ideas

> Take the affected link out and throw it away.

Shorter version: Kill!

> Whenever I replace a chain, I always need to lose a couple of links to
> get the length right. Being a hoarder I never throw these links away
> (by the year 2038 I'm hoping to save buying a whole chain !), so I can
> just use a couple of my spares to swap out any link that's being
> awkward.

How many would you need to be able to forge chain-damascus? You could certainly
put me down for one of your blades pattern-welded from old Sachs chains.

Obviously, I have no idea how well the stuff would work for this :)

> On a ride just take the links off and run with a short chain. You can
> get away with this pretty easily, so long as you avoid the obvious
> gears.

And don't allow brain to freewheel.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:43:11 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How many would you need to be able to forge chain-damascus?

No need to use new ones for that - I'm already planning to forge some
old chains up like this

But I need a hotter forge for pattern welding - there'll be pictures
if I ever get round to it.

--
Smert' spamionam

"Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:43:11 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How many would you need to be able to forge chain-damascus?

> No need to use new ones for that - I'm already planning to forge some
> old chains up like this

I'm next in line after you allocate one to Cliff for ritual destruction, aka
"testing".

> But I need a hotter forge for pattern welding - there'll be pictures
> if I ever get round to it.

Cool. Eagerly awaited here.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen