stuck saddle post

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Gillbe, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. David Gillbe

    David Gillbe Guest

    Anyway got any old wives tales for getting a saddle post that seems to have stuck inside my frame
    (possibly rusted in) I've tried excessive amounts of oil, but doesn't seem to have helped, so any
    cunning plans etc. much appreciated Dave

    --
    ---------------------
    David Gillbe Merton College Oxford (Mobile) 07876 195761 (MSN) [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:34:35 -0000, "David Gillbe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyway got any old wives tales for getting a saddle post that seems to have stuck inside my frame
    >(possibly rusted in) I've tried excessive amounts of oil, but doesn't seem to have helped, so any
    >cunning plans etc. much appreciated

    Consult the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck_seatposts.html

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. G S Banner

    G S Banner Guest

    > Anyway got any old wives tales for getting a saddle post that seems to
    have
    > stuck inside my frame (possibly rusted in) I've tried excessive amounts of oil, but doesn't seem
    > to have helped, so any cunning plans etc. much appreciated Dave

    If you can get the bottom bracket off...

    Invert the frame and pour Coca-cola into the section in which the seat post is stuck. Leave
    overnight.

    If it works, you'll never forget to clean your teeth again after drinking Coke.

  4. Desrmason

    Desrmason Guest

    go to hardware store get some plus gas freeing fluid its should work leave it overnight If its
    rusted solid it dissolves the rust Good luck

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:56:02 -0000, "David Gillbe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >read anyone rather than anyway for the first word of that last post!

    Maybe "everyone" would be closer to the mark, looking at the flood of directions to the Bearded
    One's site :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. David Gillbe

    David Gillbe Guest

    Its an aluminium seat post in a steel frame - good corrossion properties between those two :) I'll
    try the Ammonia idea at some stage, but if not then its the heat job
    :-(
    thanks for the help anyway guys

  7. David Gillbe

    David Gillbe Guest

    An attempt to go to your much suggested site revealed this: maybe I need to check my saddle post
    network settings or something!

    The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The
    Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
    browser settings.

    Please try the following:

    a.. Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    b.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled
    correctly.

    c.. To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet
    Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided
    by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    d.. If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network
    and automatically discover network connection settings. If you would like Windows to try
    and discover them, click Detect Network Settings
    e.. Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About
    Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    f.. If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support
    it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to
    the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    g.. Click the Back button to try another link.

  8. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:58:06 -0000, "David Gillbe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Its an aluminium seat post in a steel frame - good corrossion properties between those two :) I'll
    >try the Ammonia idea at some stage, but if not then its the heat job
    >:-(
    >thanks for the help anyway guys

    I managed to free an seized alu seatpost from a steel frame by drilling a hole through the
    seat post, passing a bar through it and using that to apply lots of torque (didn't have access
    to a vice).

    Worth a shot?

    Bob

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I managed to free an seized alu seatpost from a steel frame by drilling a hole through the
    > seat post, passing a bar through it and using that to apply lots of torque (didn't have access
    > to a vice).

    Sheldon will tell you not to try it but a good lump hammer on that bar has worked for me

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  10. On a similar note how about seized mudgard bolts. I dont want to give it too much welly in case I
    twist the head of. Also they seem rather hard to drill out

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:44:06 -0000, "David Gillbe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >An attempt to go to your much suggested site revealed this: maybe I need to check my saddle post
    >network settings or something!

    Ah, the good old IE "friendly error message" (i.e. message obscuring anything which might be in any
    way helful for diagnosing the problem).

    I suggest a return visit - <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck_seatposts.html> is definitely online
    right now.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    bob watkinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On a similar note how about seized mudgard bolts. I dont want to give it too much welly in case I
    > twist the head of. Also they seem rather hard to drill out

    Plenty of penetrating oil and leave it to soak. Using an impact driver often helps more than the
    continous force of a standard wrench. Unfortunately if the bond is too strong, the bolt will shear
    before it will release. In which case you need a bolt extractor. Perversely once the head has gone
    its often a lot easier to extract the stub because the pressure has gone off the threads. Bolt
    extractors and impact drivers available from any good tool shop or Halfords although they might cost
    a few quid.