Stuck with which Rockhopper to go for

Dan Nuttall

Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

I've started getting back into cycling again over the past year after a long break while I was a teenager hehe. Couldn't get me off my bike as a kid. Anyway, I bought a GT Aggressor 3 2011 (L Frame) about a year ago, and it's done me well, however, I feel the need to upgrade as I find myself having to maintain it quite often now that I'm riding it more and more as the rims get filthy due to the trails I ride and as a result the vbrakes stop working, it gets quite dangerous! I also find it a little small as my seat is very high and find myself hunching on it a bit. And it's also only a 21 speed which I find I max out far too often. So I want to upgrade to something with hydraulic disc brakes, a light sturdy frame that's a little bigger, and higher speed gears.

After much research I'm pretty set on a Specialized Rockhopper. I'm 6"2, (6" 3 with trainers on, if that makes a difference), so according to Specialized sizing chart, I require a 21" frame.

I found a shop to buy a 2012 model on for £510 so I went for it, but they came back to me saying they were out of stock but could offer me the 2013 model with a 10% discount. However, the 2013 model is a 29er, and I don't really want to move to a 29er just yet. I prefer the agility / acceleration of a 26er. So I looked around a bit more and found a 2012 model for £480 on another site but they only had 19" frames left. The guy on the phone said that 19" might be the right size for me. But I don't know if he was just trying to sell me the 19" to offload the stock, or if it actually would suit me. Considering I'm 6"2 (6"3 in shoes) in not convinced it would. The cheapest I could find a 21" frame was for £550.

So, should I go for the 19" frame that's £70 cheaper, the 21" frame, or should I re-consider the 2013 29er model? My local bikeshop no longer stocks the 2012, only the 2013, so I'm not sure if test riding the 2013 in both frames would be an accurate test due to the wheel size.

Originally Posted by Dan Nuttall .

So, should I go for the 19" frame that's £70 cheaper, the 21" frame, or should I re-consider the 2013 29er model? My local bikeshop no longer stocks the 2012, only the 2013, so I'm not sure if test riding the 2013 in both frames would be an accurate test due to the wheel size.
FWIW. 29er tyres ARE gargantuan ... but, when I look at my 26er tyres, they look small ...

Consequently, I recommend that you get a MEDIUM 29er ...

• FYI. By my reckoning, a MEDIUM 29er is closer to a LARGE 26er than to a MEDIUM 26er -- that is an important detail which seems to be lost on some reviewers ... at least, in the past when a Medium 29er had been compared with a Medium 26er despite the difference in effective top tube lengths of the two bikes
  • rather than go by arbitrary size labels, MEASURE your bike's effective top tube length before you buy your next bike & choose the bike size accordingly

For your reference, here is a digitally modified (i.e., a digitally lengthened "Touring" fork!?!), SMALL 29er (I'm 5'9") that I was piecing together (hence, the temporary fork) ...

If you think about it, the headtube & stem will be much higher on a 26er due to the humongous tyre size & "taller" fork ...

So, with the taller headtube combined with a hi(gher)-rise handlebar, you may find a 29er inherently more comfortable than a 26er.

BTW. If your GT is less than 10 years old, then the fork probably has disc brake mounts ... if that is the case then I recommend that you may want to simply consider replacing the front V-brake with a (mechanical) disc brake caliper AND the front hub with a disc hub (i.e., relace the existing rim onto a disc hub) OR buy a new front wheel ... if you DIY, that could cost less than £50 + rotor ... of course, you could spend more, much more!

A Hi-Rise stem + a handlebar with more rise may make your GT more comfortable to ride.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

If you think about it, the headtube & stem will be much higher on a 26er due to the humongous tyre size & "taller" fork ...
Oops!

That line should read:

If you think about it, the headtube & stem will be much higher on a 29er due to the humongous tyre size & "taller" fork ...

Also, I probably should have digitally stretched the fork by another inch (!?!) which would make the stem-and-handlebar that much higher.