Stud or Bushing? Place yer bets! (wonky Tektro LP arm)

landotter

Guest
Aha! I'd had awful modulation with my rear Tektro 530 LP brake, so
finally decided to disassemble the sucker and make sure the studs were
greased etc. Well, oh well: the left arm was greased, but barely moved
on the stud.

I'm headed down to the LBS in an hour or two, as it's only a km roll
away--but I'm taking bets! Stud or bushing? Winners all get Spanish
mackerels with a mustard crust!

landotter wrote:
> Aha! I'd had awful modulation with my rear Tektro 530 LP brake, so
> finally decided to disassemble the sucker and make sure the studs were
> greased etc. Well, oh well: the left arm was greased, but barely moved
> on the stud.
>
> I'm headed down to the LBS in an hour or two, as it's only a km roll
> away--but I'm taking bets! Stud or bushing? Winners all get Spanish
> mackerels with a mustard crust!

Might be educational to see if the right arm (or a brake arm from
another set) moves freely on the left stud.

landotter wrote:
> Aha! I'd had awful modulation with my rear Tektro 530 LP brake, so
> finally decided to disassemble the sucker and make sure the studs were
> greased etc. Well, oh well: the left arm was greased, but barely moved
> on the stud.
>
> I'm headed down to the LBS in an hour or two, as it's only a km roll
> away--but I'm taking bets! Stud or bushing?

My money is on the stud. Should be easy to remedy.

> Winners all get Spanish
> mackerels with a mustard crust!

You can keep the fish, they get all stinky in transit.

On Oct 16, 9:37 am, Don Piven <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > Aha! I'd had awful modulation with my rear Tektro 530 LP brake, so
> > finally decided to disassemble the sucker and make sure the studs were
> > greased etc. Well, oh well: the left arm was greased, but barely moved
> > on the stud.

> > I'm headed down to the LBS in an hour or two, as it's only a km roll
> > away--but I'm taking bets! Stud or bushing? Winners all get Spanish
> > mackerels with a mustard crust!

> Might be educational to see if the right arm (or a brake arm from
> another set) moves freely on the left stud.

Yeah, I was going to do that...

[pulls front arm to test...]

Bad stud. Eesh.

[rides to LBS...]

D'oh! Mark just wiped off the stud with solvent and regreased. It was
just some sort of residue + dirt.

On Oct 16, 9:58 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > Aha! I'd had awful modulation with my rear Tektro 530 LP brake, so
> > finally decided to disassemble the sucker and make sure the studs were
> > greased etc. Well, oh well: the left arm was greased, but barely moved
> > on the stud.

> > I'm headed down to the LBS in an hour or two, as it's only a km roll
> > away--but I'm taking bets! Stud or bushing?

> My money is on the stud. Should be easy to remedy.

It was called "wipe and lube". There must have been some sort of
resist left on there from when it got powdercoated or something. Mark
got that off with some solvent. He also put the spring pin in the
center hole (I was also going to do that, was in the first) and upped
the tension screws as far as practicable, and after feeling the sudden
increase in modulation, I upped the front tension. Man, it's sorta
funny how brilliant these pedestrian Tektro LPs feel. I don't miss
cantis anymore. :-D