Studded tires on road bikes?

uRabbit

Dec 6, 2009
Saw the first snowfall of the year tonight. I've been looking for used bikes for when I start college next year. I'm going to be getting a road bike. However, are studded tires made for road bikes?

I wouldn't think there's any other way to ride thru the snow on a road bike...

uRabbit said:
Saw the first snowfall of the year tonight. .. are studded tires made for road bikes?

Yes/No/Maybe. You can get studded tires for the 700C/622 mm clincher rim size which is the most common size for road bikes. Sometimes you can even find the occasional studded 27"/630 mm tire.
The issue you will most likely encounter however is:
- will studded tires fit in your frame/fork? Normal road tires will be in the range of 23/25/28 or maybe 32 mm width, and studded tires tends to be thicker.

uRabbit said:
..I wouldn't think there's any other way to ride thru the snow on a road bike...
Studs don't do a thing as long as it's snow that you're riding on/through. They're plenty nice when you have to cross icy patches though. As long as the snow is soft an aggressive pattern will go a long way.

If you want ONE bike to be your year-rounder, get a disc braked cyclocross. It'll have the clearance needed to take studded tires, and discs will provide better braking even in poor conditions.

Or get two bikes, one nice summer bike and one MTB beater for the winter months.
Quite a few otherwise experienced riders find it a bit daunting anyhow to brake during slippery conditions from the rather stretched out position you get while riding with your hands on the hoods. In 26" you can get as many studs as you want, and the tire width needed to get some float over thicker patches.