Study: Fat overload kills mammalian cells (fat acceptance = death)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Captain BlubberSlap, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Study: Fat overload kills mammalian cells

    Health News Jan 18, 2006, 23:55 GMT

    ST. LOUIS, MO, United States (UPI) -- Washington School of Medicine
    scientists say they`ve identified a protein that triggers death in
    mammalian cells that are overloaded with saturated fat.

    'When lipids (fats) accumulate in tissues other than adipose tissue,
    cellular dysfunction or cell death results,' says senior author Dr.
    Jean Schaffer, associate professor of medicine, molecular biology and
    pharmacology at the St. Louis school. 'For example, preliminary studies
    on animals suggest that the accumulation of fat in the pancreas
    contributes to the development of diabetes, while accumulation of
    lipids in skeletal muscle of leads to insulin resistance.'

    Other studies have linked the genesis of heart failure to fat-induced
    cell dysfunction and cell death in the heart.

    'As physicians our primary focus in diabetic patients is on glucose
    control,' said Schaffer, a cardiologist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. 'But
    it appears we should also be more aggressive with respect to lowering
    lipids, such as triglycerides and fatty acids.'

    The study is said to be the first to identify a critical step in the
    pathway that leads from high cellular fat to cell death, according to
    Schaffer.

    The research is detailed in the February issue of the journal Molecular
    Biology of the Cell.

    Copyright 2006 by United Press International

    Tags:

  2. why are you posting this to a low carb ng where fat acceptance is not
    an issue. These people are learning how to eat properly, how to lose
    weight and how to become healthier.

    TC

  3. On 20 Jan 2006 08:00:26 -0800, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > why are you posting this to a low carb ng where fat acceptance is not
    > an issue. These people are learning how to eat properly, how to lose
    > weight and how to become healthier.

    The study is about improper fat metabolism, it is not at all about fat
    people as such. It says that *if* fat accumulates in cells other than
    adipose cells, then it is harmful to those cells where it
    accumulates. It says little about obese people who accumulate fat in
    adipose cells. The soc.support.fat-acceptance trolls simply want to
    stir some animosity, but they are confused about the meaning of the
    study.

    --
    223/174.0/180