Study: Normal Glucose and Insulin Values

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jenny, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    People are always wondering what are normal values for blood sugar and
    insulin. Here's a study of normal people and people with PCOS, both
    normal weight and obese that gives some graphs showing what "normal"
    looks like for both groups.

    http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/15/6/1266

    Scroll down to Figure 1 to see the chart giving these values.

    GLUCOSE: After 75 gm of glucose the thin and obese controls (people
    without PCOS, in this study) top out at 126 mg/dl at half an hour, and
    then the thin people drop back to under 100 mg/dl at one hour, while the
    obese normals drop only a tiny bit by an hour. Both groups are around
    100 mg/dl at 2 hours.

    INSULIN: at 1/2 hour normal thin people peak slightly under 50 mU/while
    obese normal people peak half an hour later (at an hour) at around 60 mU/L.

    Also, Figure 2 gives the relationship of insulin and C-peptide
    measurements, which do not correspond to each other as strictly as we
    have been told they do. So assuming, as my doctor does, that a C-peptide
    test is as good as an insulin test may be inaccurate. Interesting.

    --Jenny

    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u Diabetes Info

    http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
    Sugar Under Control