Study says "Jazzed-Up Jelly Beans as good as Sports Drinks"

sugaken

Mar 27, 2006
I heard this on Scientific American's podcast "60-Second Science" Jan 19 edition: "Jelly beans with added electrolytes and vitamins were as effective as sports drinks and gels in aiding athletic performance."
http://www.sciam.com/podcast/index.cfm?e_type=D

You know what? Cyclists and triathletes supplied with specially formulated jelly beans "actually achieved their maximum power outputs" according to the study conducted at UC Davis. Stuff your cycling jersey's back pockets with some jelly beans on your next race:D

(Nah, I don't take it too serious. Just thought it was somewhat amusing.)

Ken

Great, now they'll be going through professional teams' garbage looking for jelly bean wrappers, too. I feel sorry for the poor guy who has to sit there with the syringe individually 'jazzing up' each bean. :(

Hmmm.... I would like to know what my maximum power output is though. Maybe I should pick up a bag. Did the 60-second report have time to mention any detrimental side effects? I've heard jelly beans aren't really that good for people. ;)

why is anyone surprised? jelly beans are as good as anything for providing a sugar high during a race. I use gel bars with caffeine and jelly beans during races. they work wonders.

dm69 said:
why is anyone surprised? jelly beans are as good as anything for providing a sugar high during a race. I use gel bars with caffeine and jelly beans during races. they work wonders.
No, not surprised at all. I'm just amused that companies go out their way to fund studies like this (well, this one's funded by Jelly Belly Candy Co, as you might have guessed ;) ), and I feel a bit sorry for the researchers who have to work as if they were their advertising arm to get fund for their other researches in which their true interests lie.

sugaken said:
No, not surprised at all. I'm just amused that companies go out their way to fund studies like this (well, this one's funded by Jelly Belly Candy Co, as you might have guessed ;) ), and I feel a bit sorry for the researchers who have to work as if they were their advertising arm to get fund for their other researches in which their true interests lie.
i didnt read the full article. If jelly belly were sponsoring it i can see where your coming from

Hey, I live in Pleasant Prairie, WI, where there is a large Jelly Belly distribution center. I picked up some of the sport beans when I was on a tour (my kids love it) and tried them. I MUCH prefer plain water in my bottles and munching the beans vs. a sports drink. I don't get the sticky **** in the bottles, cages, etc. and that is also a benefit. I honestly think these work for me, and I take them on longer rides. Good stuff!

ghostpedal said:
Hey, I live in Pleasant Prairie, WI, where there is a large Jelly Belly distribution center. I picked up some of the sport beans when I was on a tour (my kids love it) and tried them. I MUCH prefer plain water in my bottles and munching the beans vs. a sports drink. I don't get the sticky **** in the bottles, cages, etc. and that is also a benefit. I honestly think these work for me, and I take them on longer rides. Good stuff!
Glad that it works for you.:)
Now, does anybody know where I can pick some up in Tokyo?:p

Ken

It looks like you can buy direct from jellybelly.com and have them shipped. They have an international section of the website. You probably already thought of this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.

You could steal packets of table sugar from restaurants, pour it into water in a 5-6% solution, add some sea salt and you pretty much have Gatorade. Add some whey powder (good luck mixing it!) to all that at a 1:4 ratio with the sugar, and you pretty much have Accelerade. Drink skim chocolate milk with a little sea salt then empty the contents of one glutamine capsule into it, and you pretty much have Endurox R4 chocolate. Tastes good, too.