Study suggests cyclists prone to osteoporosis

Euan said:
http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/Articles/Osteoporosis-Cycling/Osteoporosis-Cycling.html

Time to get a MTB, eat more dairy and get those weights back out. Heck
maybe even r*n.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

This has been known for a few years. I think the issue is the lack of weight bearing exercise rather than the cycling. I haven't seen any papers on it but swimmers might suffer similarly?

If you're cycling, you should be doing other exercise type things as well. A little bit of everything. Nothing to the exclusion of everything else.

If you're a couch potato, you're totally stufffed.

SteveA

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, SteveA wrote:

> Euan Wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/3bsww
>>
>> Time to get a MTB, eat more dairy and get those weights back out. Heck
>> maybe even r*n.
>> --
>> Cheers | ~~ __@
>> Euan | ~~ _-\<,
>> Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

> This has been known for a few years. I think the issue is the lack of
> weight bearing exercise rather than the cycling. I haven't seen any
> papers on it but swimmers might suffer similarly?
>
> If you're cycling, you should be doing other exercise type things as
> well. A little bit of everything. Nothing to the exclusion of
> everything else.
>
> If you're a couch potato, you're totally stufffed.
>

> SteveA

I think it's noticeable in cyclists (and swimmers, more to follow) who
exercise a lot than in general public. Being a couch potato means your
bones have no incentive to get packed harder. However your muscles use
calcium, and when there's a shortage, it comes out of your bones. So
if you exercise lots, but don't stimulate bone hardening, you could be
more prone to osteoporosis. That's at a guess.

With swimmers, you'd think the problem would be worse - not only is the
exercise not weight-bearing, it's actually "anti gravity" so to speak.
However I think there's less literature on this... and I'd be guessing
that's due to ages and the invention of heated pools. My mum was a great
swimmer, trained twice a day and went to the nationals, etc. In the off
season, the pools were closed because they weren't heated (one was, but
only rich kids went there), so to keep fit, they all ran in the off
season... which is great exercise for preventing osteoporosis.

BTW, my mum is running again :D :D :D I'm so proud, I want to get her a
bike as well!

Tam

Euan said:
http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/Articles/Osteoporosis-Cycling/Osteoporosis-Cycling.html

Time to get a MTB, eat more dairy and get those weights back out. Heck
maybe even r*n.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)
Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D

I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be detrimental to his cycling.

SteveA wrote:

> If you're cycling, you should be doing other exercise type things as
> well. A little bit of everything. Nothing to the exclusion of
> everything else.

TRIATHLETES RUUUUUUULE!

<ducks behind Tam, Marty and Ritcho>

DaveB

DaveB said:

> If you're cycling, you should be doing other exercise
> type things as well. A little bit of everything. Nothing
> to the exclusion of everything else.[/color]
TRIATHLETES RUUUUUUULE!

Bleh! Triathletes rule nothing.

Suzie, I'd also be interested in whatever you come up with. I'm totally without incentive to ride here - I've done enough solo sight-seeing and I'm not splashing myself clean in work's dunnies after a commute. I don't have enough clothes for that sort of shite.

I will join a gym soon and continue my crappy intermittent running. Yeah, running and gym - anyone want a GT MTB?

I also wonder what colour leotard you have picked for Euan? I am not sure if I should go for the black over bright yellow or the pink on grey look? Your thoughts?

hippy
"Grrr"

SuzieB wrote:

> Euan Wrote:
> > http://tinyurl.com/3bsww
> >
> > Time to get a MTB, eat more dairy and get those weights back out.
> > Heck
> > maybe even r*n.
> > --
> > Cheers | ~~ __@
> > Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> > Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

> Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D
>
> I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if
> anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article
> suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall
> coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep
> dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be
> detrimental to his cycling.
>
> --
> SuzieB

The BEST all over program:

clean pulls
push presses
front squats

It's basically breaking the clean and jerk down to 3 different
movements. You do this, you can stand up at the end of it and pick one
or two muscles you'd like to do a bit more work on and then go home.
Massive gym session in a very short time.

Alternately I did bench press/push ups, seated row, lat pull down/chin
ups, 45 deg leg press/jumping squats for a few months and got faster,
especially up hills, and faster in my running too. (Which may have been
an effect of other training, but the point is, it didn't slow me down.)

Tam

DaveB wrote:

> SteveA wrote:
> >
> > If you're cycling, you should be doing other exercise type things as
> > well. A little bit of everything. Nothing to the exclusion of
> > everything else.

> TRIATHLETES RUUUUUUULE!
>
> <ducks behind Tam, Marty and Ritcho>
>
> DaveB

nah uh, leave me out of this one

Tam

SuzieB said:
Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D

I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be detrimental to his cycling.

Suzie, look for exercises that promote core stability and strength, balance upper body against lower body and develop strenght and power in the legs. You need a strong middle and upper body to "return" energy sent up the body by the legs. Or more precisely, you want a body that will not fold and move when fatigued, and can support itself while the legs drive.

Not only do you want pure strength gains, but once basic conditioning has occured, speed endurance within sets (ie faster reps, less rest between sets) can be incorporated. Also look for exercises the mimic movement patterns found in cycling and incorporate multiple joint movements (ie more than one joint).

Hope that helps!

hippy wrote:

> DaveB Wrote:
> >

> > > If you're cycling, you should be doing other exercise
> > > type things as well. A little bit of everything. Nothing
> > > to the exclusion of everything else.

> > TRIATHLETES RUUUUUUULE!
> >

> Bleh! Triathletes rule nothing.
>
> Suzie, I'd also be interested in whatever you come up with. I'm totally
> without incentive to ride here - I've done enough solo sight-seeing and
> I'm not splashing myself clean in work's dunnies after a commute. I
> don't have enough clothes for that sort of shite.
>
> I will join a gym soon and continue my crappy intermittent running.
> Yeah, running and gym - anyone want a GT MTB?
>
> I also wonder what colour leotard you have picked for Euan? I am not
> sure if I should go for the black over bright yellow or the pink on
> grey look? Your thoughts?
>
> hippy
> "Grrr"
>
> --
> hippy[/color]

hippy...

.... are you trying to impress someone?

Tam

SuzieB wrote:
> Euan Wrote:
> > http://tinyurl.com/3bsww
> >
> > Time to get a MTB, eat more dairy and get those weights back out.
> > Heck
> > maybe even r*n.
> > --
> > Cheers | ~~ __@
> > Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> > Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

> Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D
>
> I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if
> anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article
> suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall
> coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep
> dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be
> detrimental to his cycling.

IMO :

Yep. "don't". I'll fight Tam all the way on this :) I think her
experience can be explained by other factors mixed in with the weight
training, and that she's also possibly a bit of a special case :)

Cross-training is good (the osteoporosis thing is a known problem, as
has been stated already in this thread) to a degree. Weight training,
except for some core stability stuff (and that's not really going to
benefit from most weight training programs) is generally a bad idea for
cyclists. See the following article :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern

To reduce the osteoporosis risks, I'd suggest walking regularly. To
improve core strength, I'd suggest pilates and/or yoga, and kayaking
and swimming.

I have to find some time to re-write my weight training thing on the
aboc site, since writing that I have changed my mind about the benefits
or otherwise of weight training for most cyclists.

Bleve wrote:

> SuzieB wrote:
> > Euan Wrote:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/3bsww
> > >
> > > Time to get a MTB, eat more dairy and get those weights back out.
> > > Heck
> > > maybe even r*n.
> > > --
> > > Cheers | ~~ __@
> > > Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> > > Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

> > Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D
> >
> > I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if
> > anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article
> > suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall
> > coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep
> > dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be
> > detrimental to his cycling.

> IMO :
>
> Yep. "don't". I'll fight Tam all the way on this :) I think her
> experience can be explained by other factors mixed in with the weight
> training, and that she's also possibly a bit of a special case :)

It's true, I am a special case. My biomechanics are the most fscked up
on the planet, methinks, so I have to compensate by doing as many
different things as I can. If I run 4 days per week I will wear 4
different pairs of shoes, or else I'll be too sore by the end of the
week. I can almost justify a new bike on the grounds of needing a new
geometry so I can ride more often so I don't get sore.

But, er, what other factors, dude?

Hey when are you up on the GC?

> Cross-training is good (the osteoporosis thing is a known problem, as
> has been stated already in this thread) to a degree. Weight training,
> except for some core stability stuff (and that's not really going to
> benefit from most weight training programs) is generally a bad idea for
> cyclists. See the following article :
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern
>
> To reduce the osteoporosis risks, I'd suggest walking regularly. To
> improve core strength, I'd suggest pilates and/or yoga, and kayaking
> and swimming.

I'd say walking is one of the worst forms of activity for fit people.
(1) it's incredibly boring unless you're humping 40kg up a big fo hill
and (2) it causes you to do weird things with your hips if you're trying
to do it fast. Plus you take as many steps in a shorter time when
running, get better core training from it, and it increases your ROM
(but not in a passive sense).

For core strength I'd say pilates is much better than yoga provided you
have a good instructor. I'd not recommend swimming unless you're (1)
good or (2) getting coached because it does nothing for your core
strength if you're doing it poorly.

> I have to find some time to re-write my weight training thing on the
> aboc site, since writing that I have changed my mind about the benefits
> or otherwise of weight training for most cyclists.

I hate being a freak.

Tam

Bleve said:
[...]

I guess it depends on if you read Stern or Friels. Pesonally I think for women and masters (polite way of saying over 40 :p ) strength training is of benefit. It may not have a direct impact on speed, but will have an impact on overall fitness and longterm health benefits. And you don't really need to go to a gym to lift weights. Pushing a fully loaded wheelbarrow up a hill for several sets can work too!

I agree with Tam - it certainly doesn't slow you down, unless you decide to do bodybuilding. :p

SuzieB said:
Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D

I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be detrimental to his cycling.
Buy him a puppy Suzie :D Much more fun walking and running and playing in the park with a puppy (and later dog) than lifting weights!

(Have you picked out your new bike yet??)

cheers,
ali

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> > Yep. "don't". I'll fight Tam all the way on this :) I think her
> > experience can be explained by other factors mixed in with the weight
> > training, and that she's also possibly a bit of a special case :)

> It's true, I am a special case. My biomechanics are the most fscked up
> on the planet, methinks, so I have to compensate by doing as many
> different things as I can. If I run 4 days per week I will wear 4
> different pairs of shoes, or else I'll be too sore by the end of the
> week. I can almost justify a new bike on the grounds of needing a new
> geometry so I can ride more often so I don't get sore.
>
> But, er, what other factors, dude?

You did a lot of other training, you don't have a control group, your
sample is one. Your study is therefore of questionable status :)
Remember that you did improve, but you had a lot of improving to do,
and you were doing a lot of other training, and with endurance sports
(as you know full well!) improvement is gradual and cumulative. For
all you know, the weights may have been detrimental, but since you
don't have a control group, you have no way of knowing this. All you
know is that while you were doing a bunch of training, which included
weight training, you improved.

> Hey when are you up on the GC?

Soon ... got to visit the GPs before they cark it ...

> > To reduce the osteoporosis risks, I'd suggest walking regularly. To
> > improve core strength, I'd suggest pilates and/or yoga, and kayaking
> > and swimming.

> I'd say walking is one of the worst forms of activity for fit people.
> (1) it's incredibly boring unless you're humping 40kg up a big fo hill

If that's all your doing, sure. But if you're riding a bike for
2-3hrs+ a day, a
walk is a good way to unwind a bit in the evening, spend some time with
a partner (hey, honey, let's go for a walk after dinner etc ..). It's
not being done for aerobic training, it's a bit of light weightbearing
exercice to reduce osteoporosis risk and retain some sanity!

> and (2) it causes you to do weird things with your hips if you're trying
> to do it fast. Plus you take as many steps in a shorter time when
> running, get better core training from it, and it increases your ROM
> (but not in a passive sense).

Remember, you're training for running. I'm talking about training for
cyclists. You're a runner who rides a bit (ok, quite a bit, but I think
you know what I mean?). I suggest my riders go for walks with their
partners etc after training, not use walking *as* training. (it's a
subtle difference, but an important one :) )

> For core strength I'd say pilates is much better than yoga provided you
> have a good instructor. I'd not recommend swimming unless you're (1)
> good or (2) getting coached because it does nothing for your core
> strength if you're doing it poorly.

I'd expect that freestyle would be a good core exercise, and if you can
do 2 laps of butterfly you have some serious core! But then again,
yoga is very good for flexibility, so a bit of pilates and a bit of
yoga would be of some benefit to cyclists, I would expect.

> > I have to find some time to re-write my weight training thing on the
> > aboc site, since writing that I have changed my mind about the benefits
> > or otherwise of weight training for most cyclists.

> I hate being a freak.

Get a haircut and a real job!

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> [...]

partners etc after training, not use walking *as* training. (it's a
subtle difference, but an important one :) )

> For core strength I'd say pilates is much better than yoga provided you
> have a good instructor. I'd not recommend swimming unless you're (1)
> good or (2) getting coached because it does nothing for your core
> strength if you're doing it poorly.

I'd expect that freestyle would be a good core exercise, and if you can
do 2 laps of butterfly you have some serious core! But then again,
yoga is very good for flexibility, so a bit of pilates and a bit of
yoga would be of some benefit to cyclists, I would expect.

> > I have to find some time to re-write my weight training thing on the
> > aboc site, since writing that I have changed my mind about the benefits
> > or otherwise of weight training for most cyclists.

Get a haircut and a real job!

alison_b wrote:

> SuzieB Wrote:
> > Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D
> >
> > I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if
> > anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article
> > suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall
> > coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep
> > dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be
> > detrimental to his cycling.

> Buy him a puppy Suzie :D Much more fun walking and running and
> playing in the park with a puppy (and later dog) than lifting weights!
>
> (Have you picked out your new bike yet??)
>
> cheers,
> ali
>
> --
> alison_b

Lotte will confirm that... I heard she broke into a run the other day...
wait, LotteBum running, hippy running...
....wtf is going on?!

Bleve wrote:

<snip>
> (as you know full well!) improvement is gradual and cumulative. For
> all you know, the weights may have been detrimental, but since you
> don't have a control group, you have no way of knowing this. All you
> know is that while you were doing a bunch of training, which included
> weight training, you improved.

An interesting fact is that my running speedwork sessions and my hard
cycling sessions, on base, were faster if I did them on the same day as
my weights session (which were all power weights) than if I did them at
any other time. I reckon someone should do a study on that, it's
interesting because it's probably neural.

> > Hey when are you up on the GC?

> Soon ... got to visit the GPs before they cark it ...

To make sure your name is on the Will? Well, make sure you let me know.

> > > To reduce the osteoporosis risks, I'd suggest walking regularly. To
> > > improve core strength, I'd suggest pilates and/or yoga, and kayaking
> > > and swimming.

> > I'd say walking is one of the worst forms of activity for fit people.
> > (1) it's incredibly boring unless you're humping 40kg up a big fo hill

> If that's all your doing, sure. But if you're riding a bike for
> 2-3hrs+ a day, a
> walk is a good way to unwind a bit in the evening, spend some time with
> a partner (hey, honey, let's go for a walk after dinner etc ..). It's
> not being done for aerobic training, it's a bit of light weightbearing
> exercice to reduce osteoporosis risk and retain some sanity!

But don't you get bored? It's so slow... and boring!

> > and (2) it causes you to do weird things with your hips if you're trying
> > to do it fast. Plus you take as many steps in a shorter time when
> > running, get better core training from it, and it increases your ROM
> > (but not in a passive sense).

> Remember, you're training for running. I'm talking about training for
> cyclists. You're a runner who rides a bit (ok, quite a bit, but I think
> you know what I mean?). I suggest my riders go for walks with their
> partners etc after training, not use walking *as* training. (it's a
> subtle difference, but an important one :) )

Like how I use cycling?

> > For core strength I'd say pilates is much better than yoga provided you
> > have a good instructor. I'd not recommend swimming unless you're (1)
> > good or (2) getting coached because it does nothing for your core
> > strength if you're doing it poorly.

> I'd expect that freestyle would be a good core exercise, and if you can
> do 2 laps of butterfly you have some serious core! But then again,
> yoga is very good for flexibility, so a bit of pilates and a bit of
> yoga would be of some benefit to cyclists, I would expect.

The way most people do freestyle, it's got nothing to do with core.
Seriously, have a good look next time you're at the pool. It's scary. 2
laps of butterfly... that can be my next goal. I did 1 lap (50m) last
week, without stopping, and I felt like a hero.

> > > I have to find some time to re-write my weight training thing on the
> > > aboc site, since writing that I have changed my mind about the benefits
> > > or otherwise of weight training for most cyclists.

> > I hate being a freak.

> Get a haircut and a real job!

Hey, I think you got me confused with someone else ;)

warrwych wrote:

> > I have to find some time to re-write my weight training thing on the
> > aboc site, since writing that I have changed my mind about the
> > benefits
> > or otherwise of weight training for most cyclists.

> I guess it depends on if you read Stern or Friels.

Or have read both (as I'm sure you have too :) ). I'm a big fan of
Friels, but I'm not convinced yet as to some of his claims being on the
money. Some of his stuff on acidic food is particularly ..
interesting. Right up there with Ed Bourke saying you should sleep on
your right so your heart works better! (Excercise for the reader, find
where Ed makes this interesting claim!). As coaches our role includes
sifting through the mire to find the gems, and then pass those gems on
to our athletes. Not always is this path clear or the gems easily
distinguishable from the surrounding muck!

> Pesonally I think
> for women and masters (polite way of saying over 40 :p ) strength
> training is of benefit.

That's what Freils says, and "maybe". My experience has been such that
the older riders I've worked with have had more issues brought about by
weight training than I would have thought would have been of benefit.
Or, in plain english, weight training hurt their cycling. This may
have been because they were doing inappropriate weights work, but I
didn't think what they were doing at the time was that excessive.
Friels (from memory, the book's at home and I'm not) doesn't cite any
studies that support his claims. If he does, I'd like to have a read
of them. From memory he says there's a lot of room for vertical
studies on athletes to see how they go over time, but little in the way
of hard data to support his opinion.

An awful lot of cycling training is built up on folklore and myth and
the tail wagging the dog (Lance does this, so it must be the best way
to do it etc). The art is trying to seperate the myth from reality.

Now, strength training is not necessarily weights work in a gym (as you
point out adroitly with the reference to the wheelbarrow). I get my
racing cyclists to do specific strengh training, but that is done on
the bike. I don't generally get rec cyclists doing it, as it's mainly
for sprinting. Almost everyone is strong enough already. We may be
confusing strength training with weight training in a gym (or a farm
pushing a barrow!). We may also be confusing core work with strength
training and things like neck strength etc with what I would call
classical weights work.

> It may not have a direct impact on speed, but
> will have an impact on overall fitness and longterm health benefits.

In isolation, yes. As part of a structured cycling program, maybe. Of
benefit to a training cyclist? maybe ... but maybe not. It depends on
what you're trying to achieve.

> And you don't really need to go to a gym to lift weights. Pushing a
> fully loaded wheelbarrow up a hill for several sets can work too!

That's certainly true! I use hillsprints for overload resistance
training, which is very specific to cycling (it *is* cycling :) ). I
think you've done them? If so, you'll know what I mean! There are many
ways to do strength training. Some of them may even be of benefit to
cyclists.

> I agree with Tam - it certainly doesn't slow you down, unless you
> decide to do bodybuilding. :p

I wouldn't use the word "certainly" in this context. It may actually
inhibit cycling performance by taking away training time and impacting
on recovery time, as just one possible effect. If you're doing heavy
resistance work at an inappropriate time in your training plan it may
seriously affect your riding. We don't know for sure, thus the careful
use of the word "may" :)

I guess to summarise, if one is planning on doing weights work (or some
other strengh training) then one is wise to consider carefully how it
fits in to a cycling training program. I'd suggest that in most cases
it doesn't fit in at all, but other coaches will disagree.

Bleve wrote:

> warrwych wrote:

<snip>
> > It may not have a direct impact on speed, but
> > will have an impact on overall fitness and longterm health benefits.

> In isolation, yes. As part of a structured cycling program, maybe. Of
> benefit to a training cyclist? maybe ... but maybe not. It depends on
> what you're trying to achieve.
>
> > And you don't really need to go to a gym to lift weights. Pushing a
> > fully loaded wheelbarrow up a hill for several sets can work too!

> That's certainly true! I use hillsprints for overload resistance
> training, which is very specific to cycling (it *is* cycling :) ). I
> think you've done them? If so, you'll know what I mean! There are many
> ways to do strength training. Some of them may even be of benefit to
> cyclists.
>
> > I agree with Tam - it certainly doesn't slow you down, unless you
> > decide to do bodybuilding. :p

> I wouldn't use the word "certainly" in this context. It may actually
> inhibit cycling performance by taking away training time and impacting
> on recovery time, as just one possible effect. If you're doing heavy
> resistance work at an inappropriate time in your training plan it may
> seriously affect your riding. We don't know for sure, thus the careful
> use of the word "may" :)
>
> I guess to summarise, if one is planning on doing weights work (or some
> other strengh training) then one is wise to consider carefully how it
> fits in to a cycling training program. I'd suggest that in most cases
> it doesn't fit in at all, but other coaches will disagree.

That all leads me to another thing... what about off-season, coach? E.g.
I didn't train at all for a month while I was hiking in Tassie and when
I came back, my swimming sucked but my cycle/run splits were faster than
before I left. Was it just the rest? Was it the weight I carried the
whole time hiking? Just the activity?

Tam