Study suggests cyclists prone to osteoporosis

warrwych wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > Here's the article I was looking for :
> >
> > http://www.topbike.com.au/pdfs/bic-aust-jan-feb05.pdf

> bewdy! thanks :)
>
> There are some very interesting articles about strength training,
> weight training, core stability (one on crunches being ieffective for
> core stability) etc on www.irule.co.nz, presenting yet further
> opinions on the topic.

Bloody kiwis! I'll have a look, thankyou :)

warrwych wrote:

> Wonder how SuzieB is hanging in there with all this discussion!:D

this was her original post :

>Trainer Suzie reporting for duty! :D

>I have the basics of a program sketched out for Euan but wondering if
>anyone has suggestions for the weights part of the program. Article
>suggests heavy weights 6-10 reps so I'm thinking of good overall
>coverage of the body. i.e. bench press, squats, shoulder press, tricep
>dips but I don't want to put anything in that is going to be
>detrimental to his cycling.

She was proposing bench, squats etc ... none of these are of any real
benefit to cycling, and they all have significant injury risks
associated with them. 6-10 reps is bulk building so as well as being
useless for cycling, they're anabolic and will therefore deliver weight
increases. In the original context, do not do these exercises!

If the idea is to reduce the risk of osteoporosis, go walking (running
if you insist ... but that will impact on cycling) and get plenty of
calcium and stay off softdrinks! Certainly blanket answers re what the
right things to do are usually inapropriate, but blanket answers saying
don't do something harmful are, IMO, valid in this case. Don't grind,
don't do traditional weights, don't ride everywhere in E3 etc ....
these generalised pieces of advice are valid.

warrwych said:
bewdy! thanks :)

There are some very interesting articles about strength training, weight training, core stability (one on crunches being ieffective for core stability) etc on http://www.irule.co.nz/cms/html/, presenting yet further opinions on the topic.

Wonder how SuzieB is hanging in there with all this discussion!:D
Ma head is spinnin'!!! :eek:

I now see the folly is asking such a generic question and I think I shall just leave Euan to do whatever he wants to when it comes to additional exercise. As we have NEW BIKES coming on Friday I shall hope that the mountain biking he is about to embark on will do the trick. Of course, I might have more luck getting him to join me on a r*n now. :D

SuzieB said:
Ma head is spinnin'!!! :eek:

I now see the folly is asking such a generic question and I think I shall just leave Euan to do whatever he wants to when it comes to additional exercise. As we have NEW BIKES coming on Friday I shall hope that the mountain biking he is about to embark on will do the trick. Of course, I might have more luck getting him to join me on a r*n now. :D

If Euan just wants to have some fun, perhaps do club racing, participation stuff, then the mountain biking and hills will work wonders. If he wants to progress further, be more competitive and race at higher levels, then other strategies need to be considered. You don't only need do big weights, small reps (ie anabolic body building) in the gym environment. Or he could just push a loaded wheelbarrow and hoik some bales of hay :p

SuzieB wrote:

> As we have NEW BIKES coming on Friday I shall hope
> that the mountain biking he is about to embark on will do the trick. Of
> course, I might have more luck getting him to join me on a r*n now. :D

mmm, new bikes ....

On 2005-11-14, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> An awful lot of cycling training is built up on folklore and myth and
> the tail wagging the dog (Lance does this, so it must be the best way
> to do it etc). The art is trying to seperate the myth from reality.

A favourite story (the people training for iron-man in a few years
time would have heard this :) of mine is the marathon runner who had a
case of diarreah (as you do when you stress your body on long runs),
and shat down his shorts. He bent down a wiped his leg, and so all
the runners who were treating him as god repeated this, thinking it
was a manevour to stretch his muscles as he was running (the presense
of **** on his leg was not obvious to the television viewer).

--
TimC
> Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't
> happen at once.

And space is so that it doesn't all happen to you.
-- Matthew L. Martin and John D Salt in ARK

On 2005-11-15, osc (aka Bruce)
> Personalised programmes are the way to go, much like personalised bike
> fitment.

Hey Resound! Given you're a student with no money, where do you learn
your cycling tricks (I think I've heard you get training, don't you?)?

I hate being a gumby cyclist :(

--
TimC
A new verb was accidently created during a discussion about KDE 3 and Debian.

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-11-15, osc (aka Bruce)
>> Personalised programmes are the way to go, much like personalised bike
>> fitment.

> Hey Resound! Given you're a student with no money, where do you learn
> your cycling tricks (I think I've heard you get training, don't you?)?
>

> I hate being a gumby cyclist :(
>
> --

Training? I wish. I just ride de bike boss.

TimC wrote:
> On 2005-11-15, osc (aka Bruce)
> > Personalised programmes are the way to go, much like personalised bike
> > fitment.

> Hey Resound! Given you're a student with no money, where do you learn
> your cycling tricks (I think I've heard you get training, don't you?)?

Most things these days are available for free over the 'net or at your
Uni library. I know I try to put up (it's a gradual process, limited
by time more than anything) as much as I can that I use to work with my
riders on my website as free information, and a lot of other people do
too.

There's also cycling clubs that are often keen to get new riders - some
have club coaches, club rides, mentors etc ... often free or very
cheap. Some clubs have libraries of books on riding.

And finally, there's commercial coaching, some of which is quite
expensive, and some is quite cheap. As you know, I offer this, but
this is not an advert. If you want commercial coaching services, you
know how to use google.

These days, with the Internet and search engines, there's no excuses :)
The only issues are time and a skeptical mind. There's a lot of
******** out there!

TimC wrote:

> On 2005-11-14, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> > An awful lot of cycling training is built up on folklore and myth and
> > the tail wagging the dog (Lance does this, so it must be the best way
> > to do it etc). The art is trying to seperate the myth from reality.

> A favourite story (the people training for iron-man in a few years
> time would have heard this :) of mine is the marathon runner who had a
> case of diarreah (as you do when you stress your body on long runs),
> and shat down his shorts. He bent down a wiped his leg, and so all
> the runners who were treating him as god repeated this, thinking it
> was a manevour to stretch his muscles as he was running (the presense
> of **** on his leg was not obvious to the television viewer).

If he were really hardcore, he would've left it there, to assist with
evaporative cooling. (Some birds do that. I've been reading books by
feral ultra runners lately...)

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
>>On 2005-11-14, Bleve (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>
>>>An awful lot of cycling training is built up on folklore and myth and
>>>the tail wagging the dog (Lance does this, so it must be the best way
>>>to do it etc). The art is trying to seperate the myth from reality.

>>A favourite story (the people training for iron-man in a few years
>>time would have heard this :) of mine is the marathon runner who had a
>>case of diarreah (as you do when you stress your body on long runs),
>>and shat down his shorts. He bent down a wiped his leg, and so all
>>the runners who were treating him as god repeated this, thinking it
>>was a manevour to stretch his muscles as he was running (the presense
>>of **** on his leg was not obvious to the television viewer).

> If he were really hardcore, he would've left it there, to assist with
> evaporative cooling. (Some birds do that. I've been reading books by
> feral ultra runners lately...)
>
> Tam

That was Rob DeCastella, an Australian champion. There's some discussion
of it here. He unknowingly started a trend of muscle cooling.

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000241

Marty

Marty wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > TimC wrote:
> >
> >>On 2005-11-14, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> >>A favourite story (the people training for iron-man in a few years
> >>time would have heard this :) of mine is the marathon runner who had a
> >>case of diarreah (as you do when you stress your body on long runs),
> >>and shat down his shorts. He bent down a wiped his leg, and so all
> >>the runners who were treating him as god repeated this, thinking it
> >>was a manevour to stretch his muscles as he was running (the presense
> >>of **** on his leg was not obvious to the television viewer).

> > If he were really hardcore, he would've left it there, to assist with
> > evaporative cooling. (Some birds do that. I've been reading books by
> > feral ultra runners lately...)
> >
> > Tam

> That was Rob DeCastella, an Australian champion. There's some discussion
> of it here. He unknowingly started a trend of muscle cooling.
>
> http://www.coolrunning.com.au/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000241
>
> Marty

Deek did that more than once, I remember about him pulling his pants
aside to drop a solid one on the road.

However I don't think he _started_ the trend. (e.g. see birds comment
above, and the fact that ancient human species used to run all day
chasing down prey makes it highly likely they didn't stop to wipe their
bums)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Marty wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:

>>>If he were really hardcore, he would've left it there, to assist with
>>>evaporative cooling. (Some birds do that. I've been reading books by
>>>feral ultra runners lately...)
>>>
>>>Tam

>>That was Rob DeCastella, an Australian champion. There's some discussion
>>of it here. He unknowingly started a trend of muscle cooling.
>>
>>http://www.coolrunning.com.au/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000241
>>
>>Marty

> Deek did that more than once, I remember about him pulling his pants
> aside to drop a solid one on the road.
>
> However I don't think he _started_ the trend. (e.g. see birds comment
> above, and the fact that ancient human species used to run all day
> chasing down prey makes it highly likely they didn't stop to wipe their
> bums)

A bit off topic for a cycling forum but I bought a new pair or running
shoes yesterday. My Kayanos were causing a blister on the inside of my
foot from the stitching so I needed something better. I ended up with
Mizuno Waves, which were very expensive but I hope they'll do the job.
Tonight is ride night so I might not be able to run until tomorrow. I
also got to try one of those pads that you stand on and it shows your
foot pressure on a computer screen. It only took a minute but was very
revealing.

Marty

Marty wrote:
<snip>
> A bit off topic for a cycling forum but I bought a new pair or running
> shoes yesterday. My Kayanos were causing a blister on the inside of my
> foot from the stitching so I needed something better. I ended up with
> Mizuno Waves, which were very expensive but I hope they'll do the job.
> Tonight is ride night so I might not be able to run until tomorrow. I
> also got to try one of those pads that you stand on and it shows your
> foot pressure on a computer screen. It only took a minute but was very
> revealing.
>
> Marty

I wear Mizuno Wave Maverick (distance), Wave Inspire (old ones, for
trail) and Wave Phantom (speedwork/race) and I love them all. I know a
guy... so I get them a bit cheaper, say 40% off. He might know a guy
over your way so let me know if you like them

As for those pads, I don't rate them. I wear orthotics, I over pronate
and I over supinate as well. I do, however, hold up my arches and
balance almost exactly 50% of my weight on each foot when standing
still, and I do the same when walking. Therefore according to them I am
a neutral runner. Which I am not. The $40 I spent at the podiatrist was
much better value.

Tam

Marty wrote:

> A bit off topic for a cycling forum but I bought a new pair or running
> shoes yesterday. My Kayanos were causing a blister on the inside of my
> foot from the stitching so I needed something better. I ended up with
> Mizuno Waves, which were very expensive but I hope they'll do the job.

Hmmm we're kinda moving into CoolRunning territory here but ...
Marty I bought a new pair of Asics 2090's last year which were a
disaster and then gave Loco Runners a try because I was sick of changes
in models and they were cheap. So if you have trouble with the new ones
and you've blown your shoe budget (like I had) check these out.
http://www.locorunning.com.au/ I've had the expresso's for a year and
been very happy with them.

DaveB "ducks and runs before FD realises we're talking running"

arty wrote:

> A bit off topic for a cycling forum but I bought a new pair or running
> shoes yesterday. My Kayanos were causing a blister on the inside of my
> foot from the stitching so I needed something better. I ended up with
> Mizuno Waves, which were very expensive but I hope they'll do the job.

Hmmm we're kinda moving into CoolRunning territory here but ...
Marty I bought a new pair of Asics 2090's last year which were a
disaster and then gave Loco Runners a try because I was sick of changes
in models and they were cheap. So if you have trouble with the new ones
and you've blown your shoe budget (like I had) check these out.
http://www.locorunning.com.au/ I've had the expresso's for a year and
been very happy with them.

DaveB "ducks and runs before FD realises we're talking running"

The Loco's are a nice concept but they're structurally not very good (so
say numerous podiatrists who refuse to recommend them despite receiving
many free pairs). The 2090's used a softer material so that the medial
post tended to roll me out too far. I hated them and switched to mizuno.
They feel hard at first but then you realise they're really responsive
and the cushioning is a separate structure from the support which is
nice, nice, very nice.

Tam