Study ties time shift, pedestrian deaths

brink

Guest
And whither bicyclists?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071102/ap_on_sc/time_change_accidents

Study ties time shift, pedestrian deaths

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer 1 hour, 17 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - After clocks are turned back this weekend, pedestrians walking
during the evening rush hour are nearly three times more likely to be struck
and killed by cars than before the time change, two scientists calculate.

Ending daylight savings time translates into about 37 more U.S. pedestrian
deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to October, the researchers
report. Their study of risk to pedestrians is preliminary, but confirms
previous findings of higher deaths after clocks are set back in fall.

It's not the darkness itself, but the adjustment to earlier nighttime that's
the killer, said professors Paul Fischbeck and David Gerard, both of
Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

Fischbeck, who regularly walks with his 4-year-old twins around 6 p.m., is
worried enough that he'll be more cautious starting Monday.

"A three times increase in the risk is really dramatic, and because of that
we're carrying a flashlight," he said.

<see link for rest of article>

Bicycles are not mentioned in the article; however it is stated "Fischbeck
and Gerard found the increase in fatality risk after the end of daylight
savings time is only for pedestrians. No such jump was seen for drivers or
passengers in cars."

One would think that this phenomenon would affect bicyclists as well, though
I can't say I've ever observed this phenomenon myself as a bicyclist,
pedestrian, or driver...

brink

"brink" (clip) Ending daylight savings time translates into about 37 more
U.S. pedestrian deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to October, the
researchers report. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But what is the comparison between 6 pm in November to 7 pm on October?
(Same sun time.)

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "brink" (clip) Ending daylight savings time translates into about 37
> more U.S. pedestrian deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to
> October, the researchers report. (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> But what is the comparison between 6 pm in November to 7 pm on
> October? (Same sun time.)

More peds (at least in downtown areas) at 6 pm I would think.

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 01:58:02 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"brink" (clip) Ending daylight savings time translates into about 37 more
>U.S. pedestrian deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to October, the
>researchers report. (clip)
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>But what is the comparison between 6 pm in November to 7 pm on October?
>(Same sun time.)

Our biological clocks are still shifting. The extra hour, either way,
makes us more tired. It takes some time for the body to "catch up".

Pedestrians and all vehicle operators will be sort of stunned for the
first few days. It's basically sleep deprivation on a mass scale.

Is there a greater increase in the first few days that could account
for the higher monthly total? Are there more Fridays in November?

Spring ahead:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4849050.stm>

"Losing an hour's sleep affects people's body clocks - the internal
circadian rhythms that regulate our sleep-wake cycle - and it can
take days to recover.

The tiredness caused when our body clocks are out of sync can have
serious repercussions and the more sleep deprived a person is the
worse they feel.

Studies by the Sleep Research Laboratory at Loughborough University,
have found that road traffic accidents increase slightly in the days
after the clocks go forward.

There is also an increase in accidents when clocks go back in the
winter, which is thought to occur because people use the extra hour
they gain to stay up later, making them more tired."

Fall back:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7064208.stm>

"Many people use the clocks going back to gain an extra hour in bed -
but a sleep expert says the change can actually leave people tired.

Even such small changes, said Dr Neil Stanley, can disrupt sleep
routines and cause semisomnia - low grade exhaustion caused by
inadequate rest.

He estimated that it could take three days to fully adjust to the
change.

The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital expert said people should set aside
time to wind down before going to bed.

"People may feel relaxed and refreshed as they wake up this morning
after an extra hour in bed, but it will actually take three days for
their body to catch up with this one-hour time shift."

"With more than 30m people up and down the country suffering from
'semisomnia', it's very important for them to realise just how much
of a toll daylight saving takes on their body," he said.
--
zk

"brink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And whither bicyclists?

Certainly it affected at least one bicyclist. Due to it being too dark in
the morning, I drove my daughter to school the last week. Now that it will
be light again at 7:20, she can go back to biking. In the midst of winter,
when it is dark and cold, I can see the driving to school. When it's not
all that cold, but artificially dark, I really found it annoying.