Studying The Martial Arts

AbelMalcolm

Guest
I know Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, it is the most effective form of all the martial arts. It
is deadly stuff, very deadly stuff. Anybody who is proficient in Tae Kwon Do can very easily kill
someone with just one blow. It's really that deadly. I'm not kidding.

Someone demonstrated the power of Tae Kwon Do against a wild raging Bull in a metador situation. By
the time the martial artist was done, the Bull was so badly mangled, it was classified "not fit for
human consumption".

Tae Kwon Do involves mostly leg work, utilizing the power of the hip, therefore you kick from the
hip, you punch from the hip, e.t.c. the hip is the biggest source of power in the human body. If you
think about it, there is no defense against a well delivered side kick. And if a kick can break all
those wooden blocks or brick stones, then you can imagine what it can do to someone's ribs.

You have to be careful how you study the stuff. You really should not study it unless it is taught
to you by an expert. For example, if you kick in the wrong way, you can easily fall down and break
your back. Injuries are common place even when taught by experts. You really HAVE to be careful when
practicing the art. Here's a tip, don't practice with amateurs, they are a lot more likely to make
the mistake of actually kicking you in the head when they are supposed to only come within an inch
for sparring purposes.

There are some countries that have actually banned the study of martial arts, because they think it
makes people more dangerous. Actually the opposite happens. Studies have shown that people who know
martial arts are less likely to get into fights. Because they know how deadly the stuff is, as a
result, they are less likely to get into fights. Sort of like the way nuclear powers are, they never
go to war with each other, because they know that a war would lead to certain death, mass death, on
one or on both sides. Ironically, nuclear weapons are so dangerous, that they make wars between
nations less likely, not more likely.

A real fight between martial artists does not last that long, in just a matter of seconds, someone
or the other will end up being killed or crippled.

You should study it, I highly recommend it. It also does wonders at building up a person's self
esteem. When you know martial arts, you know you are tough, you don't have to prove it, and like I
said, you are less likely to get into fights, because it is such deadly stuff. You are more likely
to walk away from an unnecessary altercation if you are familiar with the martial arts, because at
the time of tension, the foremost thing in your mind is, "Can this be peacefully resolved? Is it
necessary to risk human life over this?" Martial arts makes people more peaceful, it should
therefore not be banned. I can attest, personally, back when I was a teenage punk, I was a real
trouble maker, and I used to be someone who had a bad temper, but that was before I studied the
martial arts. Ever since I started studying it, I have become a calmer person. I have not lost my
temper in decades, and people who know me are surprised, they wonder why I am so calm and cool all
the time. This is why.

Abel Malcolm

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Educate yourself & go to these links:

http://www.moveon.org & http://www.salon.com & http://www.buzzflash.com & http://www.democrats.org &
http://www.commondreams.org & http://www.bushwatch.com &
http://www.academycomputerservice.com/economics/charts.htm

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's a tip, don't practice with amateurs, they are a lot more likely to make the mistake of
> actually kicking you in the head when they are supposed to only come within an inch for sparring
> purposes.

Trust me, this guy knows what he's talking about. >;D

Jussi

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, it is the most effective form of all the martial arts.
> ````````````````````````````
??????????? Please tell how you arrived at this idea. Seems that a lot of people may differ with you
on this. As for deadly, Dim Mak seems to fit the bill.

> I know Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, it is the most effective form of all the martial arts. It
> is deadly stuff, very deadly stuff. Anybody who is proficient in Tae Kwon Do can very easily kill
> someone with just one blow. It's really that deadly. I'm not kidding.

This statement is I assume a joke.

The glaring weakness of Tae Kwon Do against humans, I have no idea of v. a bull, is that very high
leg action for which it is famous.

Any close Karate opponents will simply step in and under that high leg aimed at the head and, well I
leave it to your imagination as to what soft spot(s) get hit.

-M.P.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, it is the most effective form of all the martial arts. It
> is deadly stuff, very deadly stuff. Anybody who is proficient in Tae Kwon Do can very easily kill
> someone with just one blow. It's really that deadly. I'm not kidding.

********! My Gun-Fu is far more deadly.

This whole article is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Thanks for the comedy routine. I
haven't laughed this hard for a while. Really put some thought into this, and it was worth it!

Thanks again, Scott

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I know Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, it is the most effective form of all the martial arts.
> > It is deadly stuff, very deadly stuff. Anybody who is proficient in Tae Kwon Do can very easily
> > kill someone with just one blow. It's really that deadly. I'm not kidding.
>

> ********! My Gun-Fu is far more deadly.

Ah So!

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:57:55 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>I know Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, it is the most effective form of all the martial arts. It
>is deadly stuff, very deadly stuff. Anybody who is proficient in Tae Kwon Do can very easily kill
>someone with just one blow. It's really that deadly. I'm not kidding.

I am assuming that this is not some sort of joke so, firstly, killing a resisting person with a
single blow is extremely difficult and secondly Tae Kwon Do does not typically teach how to do
it anyway.

>Someone demonstrated the power of Tae Kwon Do against a wild raging Bull in a metador situation. By
>the time the martial artist was done, the Bull was so badly mangled, it was classified "not fit for
>human consumption".

Good anecdote.

>Tae Kwon Do involves mostly leg work, utilizing the power of the hip, therefore you kick from the
>hip, you punch from the hip, e.t.c. the hip is the biggest source of power in the human body. If
>you think about it, there is no defense against a well delivered side kick. And if a kick can break
>all those wooden blocks or brick stones, then you can imagine what it can do to someone's ribs.

There are plenty of defences against a well delivered side kick. A human body in motion is very
different to boards or bricks. In real fights people rarely stand still to receive your best shot.

>You have to be careful how you study the stuff. You really should not study it unless it is taught
>to you by an expert. For example, if you kick in the wrong way, you can easily fall down and break
>your back. Injuries are common place even when taught by experts. You really HAVE to be careful
>when practicing the art. Here's a tip, don't practice with amateurs, they are a lot more likely to
>make the mistake of actually kicking you in the head when they are supposed to only come within an
>inch for sparring purposes.

You should not study any martial art unless taught be an expert. In a good club, injuries should not
be commonplace. If they are the instructor is probably not an expert. Non-contact sparring is of
limited use in teaching someone to perform in a real fight.

>There are some countries that have actually banned the study of martial arts, because they think it
>makes people more dangerous. Actually the opposite happens. Studies have shown that people who know
>martial arts are less likely to get into fights. Because they know how deadly the stuff is, as a
>result, they are less likely to get into fights. Sort of like the way nuclear powers are, they
>never go to war with each other, because they know that a war would lead to certain death, mass
>death, on one or on both sides. Ironically, nuclear weapons are so dangerous, that they make wars
>between nations less likely, not more likely.

Experienced martial artists rarely get into fights. I think it is more because of the self-
discipline that training brings than any fear of death and destruction.

>A real fight between martial artists does not last that long, in just a matter of seconds, someone
>or the other will end up being killed or crippled.

An observation of the limited-rules contests, often between very experienced martial artists,
suggest that fights can last anything from a few seconds to a few minutes or longer.

>You should study it, I highly recommend it. It also does wonders at building up a person's self
>esteem. When you know martial arts, you know you are tough, you don't have to prove it, and like I
>said, you are less likely to get into fights, because it is such deadly stuff. You are more likely
>to walk away from an unnecessary altercation if you are familiar with the martial arts, because at
>the time of tension, the foremost thing in your mind is, "Can this be peacefully resolved? Is it
>necessary to risk human life over this?" Martial arts makes people more peaceful, it should
>therefore not be banned. I can attest, personally, back when I was a teenage punk, I was a real
>trouble maker, and I used to be someone who had a bad temper, but that was before I studied the
>martial arts. Ever since I started studying it, I have become a calmer person. I have not lost my
>temper in decades, and people who know me are surprised, they wonder why I am so calm and cool all
>the time. This is why.

I am glad martial arts has made you a better person.
--
Stephen Horgan, http://www.horgan.org.uk

"intelligent people will tend to overvalue intelligence"

Stephen Horgan wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:57:55 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:
What has that to do with elections??

--
LP In politics, moderation is the best policy.

> >Tae Kwon Do involves mostly leg work, utilizing the power of the hip, therefore you kick from
> >the hip, you punch from the hip, e.t.c. the hip is the biggest source of power in the human
> >body. If you think about it, there is no defense against a well delivered side kick. And if a
> >kick can break all those wooden blocks or brick stones, then you can imagine what it can do to
> >someone's ribs.
> >
> There are plenty of defences against a well delivered side kick. A human body in motion is very
> different to boards or bricks. In real fights people rarely stand still to receive your best shot.

All martial arts that I know of teach evasive and blocking moves for just such blows, and these
techniques can be very effective.

> >There are some countries that have actually banned the study of martial arts, because they think
> >it makes people more dangerous. Actually the opposite happens.

Most of the martial arts students I know say that they have never actually *fought*, having been
well schooled in avoidance.

> Experienced martial artists rarely get into fights. I think it is more because of the self-
> discipline that training brings than any fear of death and destruction.

Also most of the Asian arts that I'm familiar with are *based* on the idea of dealing with threat
without doing (or sustaining) damage if at all possible. As the true Zen master is the one who can
shoot a bird out of the sky without a bow, the true martial artist is the one who can resolve a
situation of conflict without a blow (quote from an instructor I knew).

> >You should study it, I highly recommend it. It also does wonders at building up a person's self
> >esteem.

Just as all disciplines do, because they teach mastery of the self (which is all anyone can ever
attain anyway), not of others. These arts are also excellent toning exercise for the physical body,
as well as for the mind and the concentration -- again, IF you have good instruction. I left one
teacher because my knees were bothering me due to his extremely rigorous warm-up routines. I then
found a teacher of Tibetan Tai chi (both martial and contemplative) who specializes in teaching
people who are recovering from illness or surgery. No more knee pain, much more balance and power.

> >I can attest, personally, back when I was a teenage punk, I was a real trouble maker, and I used
> >to be someone who had a bad temper, but that was before I studied the martial arts. Ever since I
> >started studying it, I have become a calmer person.

I've been hoping for this effect, still have not achieved it! But I will persevere. We all need to
encourage eachother.

C.
--
Crow

>"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote: ********! My Gun-Fu is far more deadly.

"Gun Fu"? You mean gun, right? You're saying that your gun is more reliable than any martial arts.
That's so damn lazy of you. Here's the flaw in your argument, you certainly do not carry a gun on
you 24 hours a day. I can show you some moves where even if you use a gun, your own gun can be
turned against you in the blink of an eye.

Have you ever gone into a meeting full of strange people where they frisk you for weapons before you
enter? I have, everyone has, of course, every day.

I have a question for you. If you were on an airplane, and it was hijacked by a bunch of weirdos
with box cutters, & you certainly would not have gun on you in that situation, you would not have
that crutch on you, the crutch you call "Gun-Fu". What are you going to do in a situation like that?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Educate yourself & go to these links:

http://www.moveon.org & http://www.salon.com & http://www.buzzflash.com & http://www.democrats.org &
http://www.commondreams.org & http://www.bushwatch.com &
http://www.academycomputerservice.com/economics/charts.htm

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote: ********! My Gun-Fu is far more deadly.
>
> "Gun Fu"? You mean gun, right? You're saying that your gun is more reliable than any martial arts.
> That's so damn lazy of you. Here's the flaw in your argument, you certainly do not carry a gun on
> you 24 hours a day. I can show you some moves where even if you use a gun, your own gun can be
> turned against you in the blink of an eye.

You are assuming the guy with the gun is incompetant. You are assuming that you would see the gun
before it could be used. You are assuming that you would be close enough to use your "moves".

> Have you ever gone into a meeting full of strange people where they frisk you for weapons before
> you enter? I have, everyone has, of course, every day.

You are assuming way too much... You must live in a very dangerous environment.

> I have a question for you. If you were on an airplane, and it was hijacked by a bunch of weirdos
> with box cutters, & you certainly would not have gun on you in that situation, you would not
> have that crutch on you, the crutch you call "Gun-Fu". What are you going to do in a situation
> like that?

I don't think that is a likely scenario these days. All things considered, a handgun is the best
deterent against personal violence there is. If you carry one, get sound training. If you don't
carry one, don't be too cocky. In any case, anyone can be surprised, so try to stay alert and work
together to prevail over the bad guys... :eek:)

Steve

> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>
> Educate yourself & go to these links:
>
> http://www.moveon.org & http://www.salon.com & http://www.buzzflash.com & http://www.democrats.org
> & http://www.commondreams.org & http://www.bushwatch.com &
> http://www.academycomputerservice.com/economics/charts.htm

> I don't think that is a likely scenario these days. All things
> considered,
> a handgun is the best deterent against personal violence there is. If you
> carry one, get sound training. If you don't carry one, don't be too
> cocky. In any case, anyone can be surprised, so try to stay alert and work
> together
> to prevail over the bad guys... :eek:)

To be honest I live in Brittain so the chances of being threatened with a gun are fairly small and I
have to admit that even if I did carry a gun if someone ppointed a gun at me and demanded my wallet
then I wouldnt try going for the gun anyway, not worth dying for :)

Stephen

"Steve Tew" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> You are assuming the guy with the gun is incompetant.

Most are.

> You are assuming that you would see the gun before it could be used.

Probably in most cases.

> You are assuming that you would be close enough to use your "moves".

See your first point.

> You are assuming way too much... You must live in a very dangerous environment.

???? The above makes NO sense at all. If he lives in a very dangerous environment then it is likely
his assumptions would be valid ones as he would have more REAL data to base them on

> I don't think that is a likely scenario these days. All things
considered,
> a handgun is the best deterent against personal violence there is.

****! If this were indeed the case then the gangs of New York etc. would all be taking up
needlepoint.

You've also forgotten the major point in the missive you replied to. You are unlikely to have your
gun with you 24/7. I on the other hand do have my hands & feet with me 24/7.

Sometimes I'm not so sure of the mind part but I try.

.................................Tom..............................

"story" <Enough no more **** spam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steve Tew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > You are assuming the guy with the gun is incompetant.
>
> Most are.
>
> > You are assuming that you would see the gun before it could be used.
>
> Probably in most cases.
>
> > You are assuming that you would be close enough to use your "moves".
> >

> See your first point.
>

> > You are assuming way too much... You must live in a very dangerous environment.
>

> ???? The above makes NO sense at all. If he lives in a very dangerous environment then it is
> likely his assumptions would be valid ones as he would have more REAL data to base them on

Hi Tom! Based on what he wrote: " Have you ever gone into a meeting full of strange people where
they frisk you for weapons before you enter? I have, everyone has, of course, every day." I would
say he is actually delusional, or making a joke as I was. Or he could just be talking a bout a
Democratic caucus.

> > I don't think that is a likely scenario these days. All things
> considered,
> > a handgun is the best deterent against personal violence there is.
>
> ****! If this were indeed the case then the gangs of New York etc. would
all
> be taking up needlepoint.

It is indeed the case, but I have no idea what you are trying to say with that last statement about
the gangs of New York taking up needle point, unless you are completly unfamiliar with the anti -
gun laws there that prevent everyone except criminals to own guns. My mom has done lots of needle
point, by the way... It's quite lovely.

> You've also forgotten the major point in the missive you replied to. You
are
> unlikely to have your gun with you 24/7. I on the other hand do have my hands & feet with me 24/7.

Not at all. I am stating the simple fact that the Mr. Malcom uttered some humorous and bragardly
cliches. I find it surprising how many martial artists seem to think that the gun is not a real
weapon. Sticks, chains, knives, swords... Ahhh! Those are weapons worthy of the Martial Artist! But
not the lowly gun. Charlie's Angels beat up gunmen all the time! So can we!

In reality, a well rounded martial artist should be competent with firearms, and I would say that a
real gunfighter is a martial artist. It's just another discipline of the warior.

By the way, the gunman is posting on a martial arts group, so maybe he has hands and feet, too?

Look, if you were a dirtbag looking for somone to rob on the street would you go for some robust
guy strutting along, or some little lady shuffling down the sidewalk? These days, in many
communities, there are more of those little ladies packing heat. Just showing a gun is enough to
turn off an attack usually, except in the case some people, who would bring only hands and feet to
a gunfight... RIP

> Sometimes I'm not so sure of the mind part but I try.

I don't mind you trying... :eek:)

Steve

> Hi Tom! Based on what he wrote: " Have you ever gone into a meeting full of strange people where
> they frisk you for weapons before you enter? I have, everyone has, of course, every day." I would
> say he is actually delusional, or making a joke as I was. Or he could just be talking a bout a
> Democratic caucus.

Didn't realise yoiu were joking! I thought you were one of the more extreme gun crazed 'muricans
just putting out what he thought was self evident fact. I've never been to such a meeting & I doubt
most have. I have been to meetings where everyone there was at minimum a reasonably competent
martial artist in some way shape or form. Politeness and consideration were all hallmarks of such
meetings except where idiots tried to let their egos rule. Seldom were these the truly competent or
wise. ( actually instead of seldom I should say never )

> > > a handgun is the best deterent against personal violence there is.
> >
> > ****! If this were indeed the case then the gangs of New York etc. would
> all
> > be taking up needlepoint.
>
> It is indeed the case, but I have no idea what you are trying to say with that last statement
> about the gangs of New York taking up needle point, unless you are completly unfamiliar with the
> anti - gun laws there that prevent everyone except criminals to own guns. My mom has done lots of
> needle point, by the way... It's quite lovely.

I live with even more stringent gun control than New York ever thought of. Feel free to substitute
the name of any city you care to such as Denver, Los Angeles or wherever the point still stands. If
guns in the hands of everyone were the best idea ever then the criminals would all be taking up
needle point as they all use them quite without regard of whatever laws are in place

> > You've also forgotten the major point in the missive you replied to. You
> are
> > unlikely to have your gun with you 24/7. I on the other hand do have my hands & feet with
> > me 24/7.
>
> Not at all. I am stating the simple fact that the Mr. Malcom uttered some humorous and bragardly
> cliches.

Fine but you did ignore that. Everytime that someone has used that argument on me I've said fine
lets do it now. They have Without exception either wanted to reach for a pocket or purse ( usually a
kife up here ) or go home & get the whatever. I then deny them that possibility & tell them if they
make a move I will drop them where they stand. It kinda brings it home that a weapon is useless
unless A) you have it with you AND B) it is instantly accessable

> I find it surprising how many martial artists seem to think that the gun is not a real weapon.
> Sticks, chains, knives, swords... Ahhh! Those are weapons worthy of the Martial Artist! But not
> the lowly gun.

It does have a very crass feel to it ( this from a person who has won many shooting matches ) Guns (
for self defense ) take very little skill. In the States the required training is often little or
none, so yes I agree that for *artistic* purposes the gun just isn't suitable. There are a few
exceptional people who have been able to raise the gun to a higher level ( people like your Annie
Oakley ) but they are rare & it is the person that matters here & not the impliment. The other
weapons you mention are much harder to use & this helps force the person weilding them to be more
than just a common thug. Note this does NOT guarantee this but it helps. Name one person who is
competent with either the Bo or Nunchuka for example who has not at some time or another whacked
himself/herself with the weapon whilst learning how to wield it. I can name you people at the worlds
level who have done this. One in particular knocked himself right cold with the Bo & this was AFTER
he had won his first gold at the world level & was practicing for the next tournament. However all
that said ( however unsatisfactorily ) I do not regard the gun as an unworthy weapon. It is
certainly a real one. Very poorly used in 99% of cases. If you meet a competent person with a gun
who wants you dead you'd better have your affairs in order.

> Charlie's Angels beat up gunmen all the time! So can we!

If you are immature enough to believe this then you deserve what you get. B-) children & silly
adults have always managed to confuse reality & movies for as long as there has been movies. Most us
us outgrow this by age 5 or so. I can remember playing cowboys & indians as a little boy & knowing
that it wasn't real. Hell I even knew that it wasn't true & didn't happen that way here in Canada (
we didn't have indian wars like you did )

> In reality, a well rounded martial artist should be competent with
firearms,
> and I would say that a real gunfighter is a martial artist. It's just another discipline of
> the warior.

Hopefully we don't live in a state that requires this. Yes I do happen to be competent to a point
with guns but they are not now part of my life & I don't want them in my life. They are quite simply
not needed as I live now.

> By the way, the gunman is posting on a martial arts group, so maybe he has hands and feet, too?

Yes he does but does he know what to do with them.

> Look, if you were a dirtbag looking for somone to rob on the street would you go for some robust
> guy strutting along, or some little lady shuffling down the sidewalk? These days, in many
> communities, there are more of
those
> little ladies packing heat.

So what. Ask your wife to get X out of her purse. First she has to find her purse. Then she has to
rummage. Then if you are lucky she finds it. Quite often she will have to find the other purse where
she forgot & left it.

> Just showing a gun is enough to turn off an attack usually,

Only if you have it in your hand to show. Like I said above re the times I've dealt first person
with this very argument. ...........................Tom.............................

Steve Tew wrote:

> Look, if you were a dirtbag looking for somone to rob on the street would you go for some robust
> guy strutting along, or some little lady shuffling down the sidewalk? These days, in many
> communities, there are more
of those
> little ladies packing heat. Just showing a gun is enough to turn off an attack usually, except in
> the case some people, who would bring only
hands
> and feet to a gunfight... RIP

The problem with defending yourself from a armed robbery with a gun, is that usualy the perp begins
the confrontation by pointing a gun at you. And unless your name is Doc Holliday, drawing your gun
in defense then is not that good a idea (esp if you are a little old lady with slow reaction). Doing
so will get you killed fast where the perp might have had no real intention of shooting you in the
first place. Yes I know that some people can draw and fire a gun before most can react. But how many
carry a gun in quick draw holster, with a round in the chamber and the safety off? Most people do
not live in the OK coral. But yes, if the robber announces his intention in advance and lets you
draw and ready your gun. that might act as a deterent to him.

As for unarmed defense against a gun. If the perp is stupid enough to put the gun within my easy
reach (and as a rule perps ARE stupid), I can dissarm him. But if all he want is my wallet, that is
a low price for avoiding the enormeous risk involved. If he stands at a distance pointing a gun at
me, Ill do as he says and hopefully live to earn a new paycheck. Cowardly? maybe. realistic and
intelligent? yes. If he wants to rape me or something, He HAS to get within my reach -and I am much
more enthusiastic about stopping that than about loosing a few bucks. If he just wants to kill me,
he shoots first, and nothing I know or carry realy matter (unless it is a kevlar vest).

"story" <Enough no more **** spam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steve Tew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi Tom! Based on what he wrote: " Have you ever gone into a meeting full of strange people where
> > they frisk you for weapons before you enter? I have, everyone has, of course, every day." I
> > would say he is actually delusional, or making a joke as I was. Or he could just be talking a
> > bout a Democratic caucus.
> >

> Didn't realise yoiu were joking! I thought you were one of the more
extreme
> gun crazed 'muricans just putting out what he thought was self evident
fact.
> I've never been to such a meeting & I doubt most have. I have been to meetings where everyone
> there was at minimum a reasonably competent
martial
> artist in some way shape or form. Politeness and consideration were all hallmarks of such meetings
> except where idiots tried to let their egos
rule.
> Seldom were these the truly competent or wise. ( actually instead of
seldom
> I should say never )

> > > ****! If this were indeed the case then the gangs of New York etc.
would
> > all
> > > be taking up needlepoint.
> >
> > It is indeed the case, but I have no idea what you are trying to say
with
> > that last statement about the gangs of New York taking up needle point, unless you are completly
> > unfamiliar with the anti - gun laws there that prevent everyone except criminals to own guns. My
> > mom has done lots of needle point, by the way... It's quite lovely.
> >

> I live with even more stringent gun control than New York ever thought of. Feel free to substitute
> the name of any city you care to such as Denver,
Los
> Angeles or wherever the point still stands. If guns in the hands of
everyone
> were the best idea ever then the criminals would all be taking up needle point as they all use
> them quite without regard of whatever laws are in place

Guns in the hands of everyone is NOT a good idea. What is a good idea is honest, competent, citizens
who want to take on the responsibility of carying, doing so.

> > > You've also forgotten the major point in the missive you replied to.
You
> > are
> > > unlikely to have your gun with you 24/7. I on the other hand do have
my
> > > hands & feet with me 24/7.
> >
> > Not at all. I am stating the simple fact that the Mr. Malcom uttered
some
> > humorous and bragardly cliches.
>
> Fine but you did ignore that. Everytime that someone has used that
argument
> on me I've said fine lets do it now. They have Without exception either wanted to reach for a
> pocket or purse ( usually a kife up here ) or go
home
> & get the whatever. I then deny them that possibility & tell them if they make a move I will drop
> them where they stand. It kinda brings it home
that
> a weapon is useless unless A) you have it with you AND B) it is instantly accessable

You are not a perp looking for an opportune target. As far as I know, most attacks have a preamble
that plays out in a manner that would allow a vigilant person to react or avoid it. Interviews with
victims reveal this consistancy in the form of statements similar to "I should have seen it coming."
Most attacks come in a surrounding that is conducive to the success of the attack. It is in these
scenarios that one should be in an elevated state of alarm. And it is at these times that the alert
and observant potential victim should be prepared to draw and fire quickly. Your example of a duel -
like setting would likely be the exception.

> > I find it surprising how many martial artists seem to think that the gun is not a real weapon.
> > Sticks,
chains,
> > knives, swords... Ahhh! Those are weapons worthy of the Martial Artist! But not the lowly gun.
>
> It does have a very crass feel to it ( this from a person who has won many shooting matches ) Guns
> ( for self defense ) take very little skill.

Which makes them such a great invention. It's that balance of power thing...

>In the States the required training is often little or none, so yes I agree that for *artistic*
>purposes the gun just isn't suitable. There are a few exceptional people who have been able to
>raise the gun to a higher level ( people like your Annie Oakley ) but they are rare & it is the
>person that matters here & not the impliment.

Not in terms of extension of power and the perception of the parties involved in a potential
conflict. It is germain to this topic that the gun is the true threat... although it must, of
course, be in the hand of a person, or at least the perp must think that that posibility exists.

>The other weapons you mention are much harder to use & this helps force the person weilding them to
>be more than just a common thug. Note this does NOT guarantee this but it helps. Name
one
> person who is competent with either the Bo or Nunchuka for example who has not at some time or
> another whacked himself/herself with the weapon whilst learning how to wield it. I can name you
> people at the worlds level who
have
> done this. One in particular knocked himself right cold with the Bo & this was AFTER he had won
> his first gold at the world level & was practicing
for
> the next tournament. However all that said ( however unsatisfactorily ) I
do
> not regard the gun as an unworthy weapon. It is certainly a real one. Very poorly used in 99% of
> cases. If you meet a competent person with a gun who wants you dead you'd better have your affairs
> in order.

Amen...

> > Charlie's Angels beat up gunmen all the time! So can we!
> >

> If you are immature enough to believe this then you deserve what you get. B-) children & silly
> adults have always managed to confuse reality &
movies
> for as long as there has been movies. Most us us outgrow this by age 5 or so. I can remember
> playing cowboys & indians as a little boy & knowing
that
> it wasn't real. Hell I even knew that it wasn't true & didn't happen that way here in Canada ( we
> didn't have indian wars like you did )
>
> > In reality, a well rounded martial artist should be competent with
> firearms,
> > and I would say that a real gunfighter is a martial artist. It's just another discipline of the
> > warior.
> >

> Hopefully we don't live in a state that requires this. Yes I do happen to
be
> competent to a point with guns but they are not now part of my life & I don't want them in my
> life. They are quite simply not needed as I live
now.

> > By the way, the gunman is posting on a martial arts group, so maybe he
has
> > hands and feet, too?
> >

> Yes he does but does he know what to do with them.
>
> > Look, if you were a dirtbag looking for somone to rob on the street
would
> > you go for some robust guy strutting along, or some little lady
shuffling
> > down the sidewalk? These days, in many communities, there are more of
> those
> > little ladies packing heat.
>
> So what. Ask your wife to get X out of her purse. First she has to find
her
> purse. Then she has to rummage. Then if you are lucky she finds it. Quite often she will have to
> find the other purse where she forgot & left it.
>
> > Just showing a gun is enough to turn off an attack usually,
>
> Only if you have it in your hand to show. Like I said above re the times I've dealt first person
> with this very argument.

The point is moot. It is the cowardly predator seeking prey who must be convinced that violent
personal confrontation may be more costly than it is worth. A well - armed populace ( the honest
folk ) is a darned good thing in that regard.

Steve

S> To be honest I live in Brittain so the chances of being threatened with a gun are fairly
S> small and I have to admit that even if I did carry a gun if someone ppointed a gun at me and
S> demanded my wallet then I wouldnt try going for the gun anyway, not worth dying for :)

Nope, especially if you live in Britain you have to watch out for guns. The statistics don't support
your position, you're just echoing your governments propaganda.

--
Regards,

Berend. (-: