Stump Jumper FSR COMP vs Trek Fuel EX 8

BDA

Guest
I could use some help deciding on a new MTB. Its down to a Stump Jumper FSR
COMP and a Trek Fuel EX 8... both around $2200. I now ride a low end Trek
hardtail 4300 which I enjoy a lot. But having moved out to these sandy
desert hill trails thought its time to move up. I weight about 205#, so I
need something sturdy. I ride a lot but am really just a mid-beginner level
for my "master level age" (40's). Bike weight is not a huge factor, but I
would like the bike to be as reliable and hassle free as possible.

I test rode both and to be honest was not totally blown away by either
one... but then a parking lot tour is not the best test track either.
Comments appreciated.

Thanks

"BDA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I could use some help deciding on a new MTB. Its down to a Stump Jumper
>FSR COMP and a Trek Fuel EX 8... both around $2200. I now ride a low end
>Trek hardtail 4300 which I enjoy a lot. But having moved out to these
>sandy desert hill trails thought its time to move up. I weight about 205#,
>so I need something sturdy. I ride a lot but am really just a mid-beginner
>level for my "master level age" (40's). Bike weight is not a huge
>factor, but I would like the bike to be as reliable and hassle free as
>possible.
>
> I test rode both and to be honest was not totally blown away by either
> one... but then a parking lot tour is not the best test track either.
> Comments appreciated.
>
> Thanks

What is limiting you to these two bikes? And where are these sandy desert
trails?

To be honest, both bikes are high-level mass production untis. Their frames
are good, the component spec on each is good. However if neither is
"turning your crank" (pun intended), you may wish to extend your search.
Bear in mind as well that even things as mundane as tires can greatly impact
the feel you get from test rides. Ride every model you can find, perhaps
including non-suspended versions. At your size the extra rigidity offered
in a hardtail could give better performance in most terrain.

Don't discount a used machine either. If you decide on one of these two
models, you could save half the money by getting a 1-2 year old version with
light use on it. Not to knock the advantages of dealing with an LBS, but
getting a used ride can be a real bonus if you check it out carefully.

Cheers