Stumpjumper FSR Chainsuck

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael Steger, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I've got a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. When I ride on plain trails with a lot of roots to
    cross I constantly get a chainsuck at the rear cassette (no problems at the front chainrings).
    The chain slips down several rear chainrings. This occurs while pedaling and is even worse
    without pedaling.

    The problem is not related to worn down chain/cassette, I encountered it right out of the box.

    Maybe somebody has a solution,

    Thank You

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Michael Steger wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. When I ride on plain trails with a lot of roots to
    > cross I constantly get a chainsuck at the rear cassette (no problems at the front chainrings). The
    > chain slips down several rear chainrings. This occurs while pedaling and is even worse without
    > pedaling.

    I'm slightly confused. Chainsuck occurs on the front rings, and an equivalent on the rear would mean
    the cogs on the cassette holding the chain, wrapping it round and jamming the rear transmission.

    Normal slippage during pedalling would normally mean your rear derailleur needs adjusting, but I'm
    at a loss to explain why the chain would jump several cogs without pedalling.

    > The problem is not related to worn down chain/cassette, I encountered it right out of the box.

    When you say 'right out of the box', does that imply that it wasn't set up by a proper mechanic?

    I would suggest that maybe a visit to the LBS is in order.

  3. I'm sorry, confusion may be a result of my deficits in English language. I'll try to put
    things right.

    "bomba" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    > Michael Steger wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. When I ride on plain trails with a lot of roots to
    > > cross I constantly
    get a
    > > chainsuck at the rear cassette (no problems at the front chainrings).
    The
    > > chain slips down several rear chainrings. This occurs while pedaling and
    is
    > > even worse without pedaling.
    >
    > I'm slightly confused. Chainsuck occurs on the front rings, and an equivalent on the rear would
    > mean the cogs on the cassette holding the chain, wrapping it round and jamming the rear
    > transmission.

    Chainsuck may be the wrong word here. The chain does not wrap around the cassette, it is slipping
    down some cogs.

    > Normal slippage during pedalling would normally mean your rear derailleur needs adjusting, but I'm
    > at a loss to explain why the chain would jump several cogs without pedalling.

    The derailleur is adjusted correctly, switching up and down is very smooth. The problem occurs when
    I ride over a series of hard roots on the trail.

    > > The problem is not related to worn down chain/cassette, I encountered it right out of the box.
    >
    > When you say 'right out of the box', does that imply that it wasn't set up by a proper mechanic?

    The bike was set up correctly by my dealer, I just intended to say that I have the problem from the
    very beginning on.

    > I would suggest that maybe a visit to the LBS is in order.

    My bike dealer is riding a Stumpjumper FSR, too. He has the same problems, although he is an
    excellent mechanic. I just thought that maybe someone else has found a solution to this
    annoying problem.

    Michael

    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  4. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Michael Steger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sorry, confusion may be a result of my deficits in English language. I'll try to put
    > things right.
    >
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    > > Michael Steger wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I've got a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. When I ride on plain trails with a lot of roots
    > > > to cross I constantly
    > get a
    > > > chainsuck at the rear cassette (no problems at the front chainrings).
    > The
    > > > chain slips down several rear chainrings. This occurs while pedaling
    and
    > is
    > > > even worse without pedaling.
    > >
    > > I'm slightly confused. Chainsuck occurs on the front rings, and an equivalent on the rear would
    > > mean the cogs on the cassette holding the chain, wrapping it round and jamming the rear
    > > transmission.
    >
    > Chainsuck may be the wrong word here. The chain does not wrap around the cassette, it is slipping
    > down some cogs.
    >

    > > Normal slippage during pedalling would normally mean your rear derailleur needs adjusting, but
    > > I'm at a loss to explain why the chain would jump several cogs without pedalling.
    >
    > The derailleur is adjusted correctly, switching up and down is very
    smooth.
    > The problem occurs when I ride over a series of hard roots on the trail.
    >

    > > > The problem is not related to worn down chain/cassette, I encountered
    it
    > > > right out of the box.
    > >
    > > When you say 'right out of the box', does that imply that it wasn't set up by a proper mechanic?
    >
    > The bike was set up correctly by my dealer, I just intended to say that I have the problem from
    > the very beginning on.
    >

    > > I would suggest that maybe a visit to the LBS is in order.
    >
    > My bike dealer is riding a Stumpjumper FSR, too. He has the same problems, although he is an
    > excellent mechanic. I just thought that maybe someone
    else
    > has found a solution to this annoying problem.
    >
    > Michael

    You may find that one of the cable outers that runs to the rear derailleur is a little too short,
    and that the action of the suspension may be pulling the cable as you go over bumps. This would fit
    with the symptoms you are describing, if I am understanding you right.

    Andy Chequer

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Steger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm sorry, confusion may be a result of my deficits in English language. I'll try to put things
    > > right.

    constantly
    > > get a
    > > The
    > and
    > > is
    > > >
    > > > I'm slightly confused. Chainsuck occurs on the front rings, and an equivalent on the rear
    > > > would mean the cogs on the cassette holding the chain, wrapping it round and jamming the rear
    > > > transmission.
    > >
    > > Chainsuck may be the wrong word here. The chain does not wrap around the cassette, it is
    > > slipping down some cogs.
    > >

    > > > Normal slippage during pedalling would normally mean your rear derailleur needs adjusting, but
    > > > I'm at a loss to explain why the chain would jump several cogs without pedalling.
    > >
    > > The derailleur is adjusted correctly, switching up and down is very
    > smooth.
    > > The problem occurs when I ride over a series of hard roots on the trail.

    > it
    > > >
    > > > When you say 'right out of the box', does that imply that it wasn't
    set
    > > > up by a proper mechanic?
    > >
    > > The bike was set up correctly by my dealer, I just intended to say that
    > > have the problem from the very beginning on.
    > >

    > > > I would suggest that maybe a visit to the LBS is in order.
    > >
    > > My bike dealer is riding a Stumpjumper FSR, too. He has the same
    problems,
    > > although he is an excellent mechanic. I just thought that maybe someone
    > else
    > > has found a solution to this annoying problem.
    > >
    > > Michael
    >
    > You may find that one of the cable outers that runs to the rear derailleur is a little too short,
    > and that the action of the suspension may be
    pulling
    > the cable as you go over bumps. This would fit with the symptoms you are describing, if I am
    > understanding you right.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    'Word' Brother Chequer, 'word' - that's what I was gonna say too - nearly all of the similar
    problems I've come across here, have been solved by lengthening one of the rear mech housings, or
    moving it's position.

    Shaun aRe

  6. Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Michael Steger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>I'm sorry, confusion may be a result of my deficits in English language. I'll try to put
    >>>things right.

    > constantly
    >
    >>>get a

    > chainrings).
    >
    >>>The

    >>and
    >>
    >>>is

    >>>Chainsuck may be the wrong word here. The chain does not wrap around the cassette, it is slipping
    >>>down some cogs.

    >>>The derailleur is adjusted correctly, switching up and down is very
    >>
    >>smooth.
    >>
    >>>The problem occurs when I ride over a series of hard roots on the trail.

    > encountered
    >
    >>it

    > set

    >>>The bike was set up correctly by my dealer, I just intended to say that

    >>>have the problem from the very beginning on.

    >>>My bike dealer is riding a Stumpjumper FSR, too. He has the same
    >>
    > problems,
    >
    >>>although he is an excellent mechanic. I just thought that maybe someone
    >>
    >>else
    >>
    >>>has found a solution to this annoying problem.
    >>>
    >>>Michael
    >>
    >>You may find that one of the cable outers that runs to the rear derailleur is a little too short,
    >>and that the action of the suspension may be
    >
    > pulling
    >
    >>the cable as you go over bumps. This would fit with the symptoms you are describing, if I am
    >>understanding you right.
    >>
    >>Andy Chequer
    >

    > 'Word' Brother Chequer, 'word' - that's what I was gonna say too - nearly all of the similar
    > problems I've come across here, have been solved by lengthening one of the rear mech housings, or
    > moving it's position.
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    And if all else fails, run a continuous housing from the top tube stop to the rear derailleur, or
    even all the way from the shifter. Just zip-tie the sucker on there, and make sure it doesn't curve
    too tightly anywhere.

    Jon Bond

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:28:32 +0100, "Michael Steger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I've got a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

    >Maybe somebody has a solution,
    >
    >Thank You
    >
    >Michael

    Michael, Michael, Michael....

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  8. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>"Michael Steger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]...

    > > constantly

    > > chainrings).

    > >>and

    > >>smooth.

    > > encountered
    > >
    > >>it

    > > set

    > > problems,

    > >>else

    > >>You may find that one of the cable outers that runs to the rear
    derailleur
    > >>is a little too short, and that the action of the suspension may be
    > >
    > > pulling
    > >
    > >>the cable as you go over bumps. This would fit with the symptoms you are describing, if I am
    > >>understanding you right.
    > >>
    > >>Andy Chequer
    > >

    > > 'Word' Brother Chequer, 'word' - that's what I was gonna say too -
    nearly
    > > all of the similar problems I've come across here, have been solved by lengthening one of the
    > > rear mech housings, or moving it's position.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > And if all else fails, run a continuous housing from the top tube stop to the rear derailleur, or
    > even all the way from the shifter. Just zip-tie the sucker on there, and make sure it doesn't
    > curve too tightly anywhere.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    This is in fact what I did to a particularly evil GT LTS a few years back. That stopped its farting
    in church. Until the seatstays snapped, that is.

    Andy Chequer

  9. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:

    >And if all else fails, run a continuous housing from the top tube stop to the rear derailleur, or
    >even all the way from the shifter. Just zip-tie the sucker on there, and make sure it doesn't curve
    >too tightly anywhere.

    If that doesn't work, ride a hard tail.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > > Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote
    in
    > > > message news:[email protected]...

    > language.

    > > > constantly

    > > > chainrings).

    the

    > the

    chain

    > trail.

    > > > encountered

    > > > set

    > > > problems,

    > derailleur
    > > >
    > > > pulling

    > > > 'Word' Brother Chequer, 'word' - that's what I was gonna say too -
    > nearly
    > > > all of the similar problems I've come across here, have been solved by lengthening one of the
    > > > rear mech housings, or moving it's position.
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > > And if all else fails, run a continuous housing from the top tube stop to the rear derailleur,
    > > or even all the way from the shifter. Just zip-tie the sucker on there, and make sure it doesn't
    > > curve too tightly anywhere.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > This is in fact what I did to a particularly evil GT LTS a few years back. That stopped its
    > farting in church. Until the seatstays snapped, that is.

    And also what I did to the BASE just before the a.m-b UK meet, but that's because my cables were
    shit, the weather in 'UK' is shit, and the shit weather was making shit get into my shit cables
    making them shift shittily, which was rather shit, really.....

    Shaun aRe - no shit.