Stumpjumper FSR or Specialized FSR

Tony

Guest
I'm brand new to off-road biking and just got a
Rockhopper Comp to get into the sport and see if I like
it. As expected, I do like it and plan to get a full-
suspension bike within the next year. I like Specialized
and wonder what the difference is between the Stumpjumper
FSR and the FSR-XC. I am leaning towards the Stumpjumper
based on the components and reputation, but can anyone
tell me if they know the difference in these styles of
bikes? The Specialized website says they are both good
for XC, but I guess I really don't know what cross
country is if it isn't single track riding in South
Florida (which is where I live).

I would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to
the difference and any suggestions or experience with
these 2 bikes. I know I could ask my LBS and plan to test
each one out, but I like to get truly independent input.
Thanks in advance!

Tony

"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm brand new to off-road biking and just got a Rockhopper
> Comp to get into the sport and see if I like it. As
> expected, I do like it and plan to get a full-suspension
> bike within the next year. I like Specialized and wonder
> what the difference is between the Stumpjumper FSR and the
> FSR-XC. I am leaning towards the Stumpjumper based on the
> components and reputation, but can anyone tell me if they
> know the difference in these styles of bikes? The
> Specialized website says they are both good for XC, but I
> guess I really don't know what cross country is if it
> isn't single track riding in South Florida (which is where
> I live).
>
> I would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to the
> difference and any suggestions or experience with these 2
> bikes. I know I could ask my LBS and plan to test each one
> out, but I like to get truly independent input. Thanks in
> advance!
>
> Tony

Your new bike sounds like a perfectly fine ride, but to
answer your question:

The Stumpjumper has a more aggressive frame geometry and
weighs less. It also has better quality components. All of
the Specialized mtn bikes are good values considering all
that you're getting. This even applies to their top-of-the-
line S-Works bikes & frames.

If you can afford the Stumpjumper, get it. Otherwise, get
the FSR. It rains a lot in the sunshine state so also
consider getting disc brakes.

Dave

"Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm brand new to off-road biking and just got a
> > Rockhopper Comp to get into the sport and see if I like
> > it. As expected, I do like it and plan to get a full-
> > suspension bike within the next year. I like Specialized
> > and wonder what the difference is between the
> > Stumpjumper FSR and the FSR-XC. I am leaning towards the
> > Stumpjumper based on the components and reputation, but
> > can anyone tell me if they know the difference in these
> > styles of bikes? The Specialized website says they are
> > both good for XC, but I guess I really don't know what
> > cross country is if it isn't single track riding in
> > South Florida (which is where I live).
> >
> > I would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to
> > the difference and any suggestions or experience with
> > these 2 bikes. I know I could ask my LBS and plan to
> > test each one out, but I like to get truly independent
> > input. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Tony
>
> Your new bike sounds like a perfectly fine ride, but to
> answer your question:
>
> The Stumpjumper has a more aggressive frame geometry and
> weighs less. It also has better quality components. All of
> the Specialized mtn bikes are good values considering all
> that you're getting. This even applies to
their
> top-of-the-line S-Works bikes & frames.
>
> If you can afford the Stumpjumper, get it. Otherwise, get
> the FSR. It rains a lot in the sunshine state so also
> consider getting disc brakes.
>
> Dave

I didn't get the original post, but I think the FSR-XC is
a renamed Rockhopper. If you like biking I'd spend the
extra money.