Stumpjumper

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tc, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Tc

    Tc Guest

    Hi,

    I've been offered a Stumpjumper that's about 5 years old in good condition and wonder how well it
    compares to the '03 version. Would half current list price be a fair value? Anything to look for?

    Thanks, TC

    Tags:

  2. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been offered a Stumpjumper that's about 5 years old in good condition and wonder how well it
    > compares to the '03 version. Would half current list price be a fair value? Anything to look for?

    TC, if it's in good condition, it's in good condition. The older Stumpy's were marketed as
    Specialized's "Stripped down race bike." Now the M5 has taken the spot for their racing hardtail,
    and the Stumpjumper has evolved into more of a trail bike. I'm not saying there's anything wrong
    with the '03 Stumpjumper... but they've weighted it down a bit more with high-quality performance
    componentry (i.e. Fox Forx on the Comp model).

    Half of current list price ($500) for a 5-yr-old Stumpjumper is NOT a great price, even if it's in
    great condition. I would try to get it for $200-300, depending on what kind of upgrades they've put
    on it, and also depending on what condition the components are in. Could be a great fix'er-up'er.

    -John Morgan

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been offered a Stumpjumper that's about 5 years old in good condition and wonder how well it
    > compares to the '03 version. Would half current list price be a fair value? Anything to look for?
    >
    > Thanks, TC

    You might want to bear in mind that a 5 year old Stumpy probably won't have a disc mount on the
    back, which makes it more ballache to upgrade if you wanted discs in the future. I agree with John
    that it's more likely worth a lot less than $500 - bear in mind that even on an apparently sound
    bike, if the drivetrain is worn (which may not be immediately obvious) this will cost a lot of money
    to sort out. Then the ancient manitou forks start to leak. Then you find the headset's goosed. And
    so it carries on..........by the time you've finished you would have been better off with a new
    Rockhopper.

    Old bikes can be a money pit so check it out _thoroughly_ and buy low. Very low.

    Andy Chequer interesting prospect as a frame alone though.

  4. Tc

    Tc Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
    > You might want to bear in mind that a 5 year old Stumpy probably won't have a disc mount on the
    > back, which makes it more ballache to upgrade if you wanted discs in the future. I agree with John
    > that it's more likely worth a lot less than $500 - bear in mind that even on an apparently sound
    > bike, if the drivetrain is worn (which may not be immediately obvious) this will cost a lot of
    > money to sort out. Then the ancient manitou forks start to leak. Then you find the headset's
    > goosed. And so it carries on..........by the time you've finished you would have been better off
    > with a new Rockhopper.
    >
    > Old bikes can be a money pit so check it out _thoroughly_ and buy low. Very low.
    >
    > Andy Chequer interesting prospect as a frame alone though.

    It looks like I can get it for 25% of current model price (that's £250 in the UK). I think the frame
    is the M2 frame and it has Judy forks. My view is that if everything seems fine then I've got a bit
    of money to spend on those bits that turn out to need replacing. If I spent a few hundred pounds I'd
    have a better bike than the rockhopper for less money; sound OK? Unfortunately the age is not
    proveable so is there anyway to make sure the age is about right?

    Thanks, TC