Stupid brakes...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Vp, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Vp

    Vp Guest

    My front brakes, even after resetting them 3 times, still make the sound of a moaning cow at a
    bullfight.

    New rims, sanded pads, reset so TOE-IN (first to touch rim, not the heel). What am I doing wrong?

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:
    > My front brakes, even after resetting them 3 times, still make the sound of a moaning cow at a
    > bullfight.
    >
    > New rims, sanded pads, reset so TOE-IN (first to touch rim, not the heel). What am I doing wrong?

    XT V-brakes, by any chance?

  3. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Uhm... Not using disc brakes? ;-)

    Danny

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0BBE96.40EE8%[email protected]...
    > My front brakes, even after resetting them 3 times, still make the sound
    of
    > a moaning cow at a bullfight.
    >
    > New rims, sanded pads, reset so TOE-IN (first to touch rim, not the heel). What am I doing wrong?

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  4. Vp

    Vp Guest

    bomba,

    > XT V-brakes, by any chance?

    Nope. Old XT brakes.

  5. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Danny,

    > Uhm... Not using disc brakes? ;-)

    I wish. I'm old skool.

  6. Phil Lee

    Phil Lee Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0BBE96.40EE8%[email protected]...
    > My front brakes, even after resetting them 3 times, still make the sound
    of
    > a moaning cow at a bullfight.
    >
    > New rims, sanded pads, reset so TOE-IN (first to touch rim, not the heel). What am I doing wrong?

    Do you ever find that your pads are quieter after the rims are dirty? Mine wake up the neighborhood
    right after my rims are cleaned, then get silent, except for when the brake "grabs" the rim right
    before coming to a complete stop.

    Some have had success with Koolstop salmon.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0BCD18.40F20%[email protected]...
    > bomba,
    >
    > > XT V-brakes, by any chance?
    >
    > Nope. Old XT brakes.

    A Deore or cheap Avid V brake should stop this. Though you might try a zip tie around the
    parallelogram linkage - worked for me.

    Andy Chequer

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BB0BCD18.40F20%[email protected]...
    > > bomba,
    > >
    > > > XT V-brakes, by any chance?
    > >
    > > Nope. Old XT brakes.
    >
    > A Deore or cheap Avid V brake should stop this. Though you might try a zip tie around the
    > parallelogram linkage - worked for me.

    Wait a minute -- are they cantilever brakes? Do cantis have a "parallelogram linkage"? Does anyone
    wanna hear MY brake-squeal story?

    Bill "someone's missin' somethin' and it may just be me" S.

  9. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    news:p[email protected]...
    > "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BB0BCD18.40F20%[email protected]...
    > > > bomba,

    > > > Nope. Old XT brakes.
    > >
    > > A Deore or cheap Avid V brake should stop this. Though you might try a
    zip
    > > tie around the parallelogram linkage - worked for me.
    >
    > Wait a minute -- are they cantilever brakes? Do cantis have a "parallelogram linkage"? Does anyone
    > wanna hear MY brake-squeal story?
    >
    > Bill "someone's missin' somethin' and it may just be me" S.

    I must write out 100 times:

    "I will read the post properly before posting something stupid in reply".

    Late in the day, couple o beers, you know how it is ;-)

    Andy Chequer

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>XT V-brakes, by any chance?
    >

    > Nope. Old XT brakes.

    XT cantis? Woah, old skool :)

    If they're well 'used' there may be play in there that's causing vibration and therefore squealing.
    Check that the bolts are really tight and pack them with grease. You could also try some different
    brake pads. Apart from that, not sure I can recommend much else.

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]r.socal.rr.com...
    > > "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote
    in
    > > message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:BB0BCD18.40F20%[email protected]...

    > > > A Deore or cheap Avid V brake should stop this. Though you might try a
    > zip
    > > > tie around the parallelogram linkage - worked for me.
    > >
    > > Wait a minute -- are they cantilever brakes? Do cantis have a "parallelogram linkage"? Does
    > > anyone wanna hear MY brake-squeal story?
    > >
    > > Bill "someone's missin' somethin' and it may just be me" S.
    >
    > I must write out 100 times:
    >
    > "I will read the post properly before posting something stupid in reply".
    >
    > Late in the day, couple o beers, you know how it is ;-)

    Not for 21+ years, but I remember. (I post *my* dumbest stuff on the natch, which makes it even
    worse somehow, doesn't it? :)

    Bill "lead paint and Mom smoked! Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket (but I didn't eat rocks and squirt
    out worms like Trav)" S.

    PS: I'm still skeptical that the OP truly has cantis, btw...

  12. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Phil Lee,

    > Do you ever find that your pads are quieter after the rims are dirty? Mine wake up the
    > neighborhood right after my rims are cleaned, then get silent, except for when the brake "grabs"
    > the rim right before coming to a complete stop.

    I try to work them in with a good front end burn, but this doesn't work.

    > Some have had success with Koolstop salmon.

  13. Vp

    Vp Guest

    bomba,

    > You could also try some different brake pads. Apart from that, not sure I can recommend much else.

    Maybe some new pads.

  14. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Sorni,

    > PS: I'm still skeptical that the OP truly has cantis, btw...

    Exactly what I have. It's a 92 Ironhorse MT700R. Toe-in worked fine on the rear, but not on
    the fronts.

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    VP <[email protected]igs.net> wrote in message news:BB0CFCCC.41227%[email protected]...
    > Sorni,
    >
    > > PS: I'm still skeptical that the OP truly has cantis, btw...
    >
    > Exactly what I have. It's a 92 Ironhorse MT700R. Toe-in worked fine on
    the
    > rear, but not on the fronts.

    How do you toe-in cantis? Only ones I've seen, clamp on the brake block stud via a bolt with a hole
    in it - one alignment ('flat') is all you get?!?!?!?

    Shaun aRe

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > How do you toe-in cantis? Only ones I've seen, clamp on the brake block stud via a bolt with a
    > hole in it - one alignment ('flat') is all you get?!?!?!?

    I can never be sure if you're taking the piss or not, but I'll assume you're not.

    Most cantis work by clamping an unthreaded pad 'boss' between the canti and a bolt running through
    the canti. Pictures will illustrate it better:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/canti-v.gif

    You can see the washer behind the pad boss - this is curved on the back side to allow full movement
    and location of the pad. Toeing-in is just a simple case of loosening the bolt, holding the pad in
    the desired location and then tightening.

    I've no idea what cantis you've seen, but AFAIR, every single set of cantis I've seen and worked on
    (even the cheapos), worked in this way.

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > How do you toe-in cantis? Only ones I've seen, clamp on the brake block
    stud
    > > via a bolt with a hole in it - one alignment ('flat') is all you
    get?!?!?!?

    > I can never be sure if you're taking the piss or not, but I'll assume you're not.
    >
    > Most cantis work by clamping an unthreaded pad 'boss' between the canti and a bolt running through
    > the canti. Pictures will illustrate it better:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/canti-v.gif
    >
    > You can see the washer behind the pad boss - this is curved on the back side to allow full
    > movement and location of the pad. Toeing-in is just a simple case of loosening the bolt, holding
    > the pad in the desired location and then tightening.
    >
    > I've no idea what cantis you've seen, but AFAIR, every single set of cantis I've seen and worked
    > on (even the cheapos), worked in this way.

    Oh, you mean the round piece of metal, with the hole in the middle, sorta 'domed'? First time I
    had my cantis in bits, I threw those and fitted new flat washers thinking they were worn that
    shape from use.

    Shaun aRe - "All your piss are belong to........" - nah, I don't wannit! Heheheheh.........

  18. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Shaun Rimmer,

    > How do you toe-in cantis? Only ones I've seen, clamp on the brake block stud via a bolt with a
    > hole in it - one alignment ('flat') is all you get?!?!?!?

    No there's some play in them, and it rocks around the seat where the bolt goes through. Actually has
    an impressive amount of play. I've reset them 3 times now, and only the rears have worked fine.

  19. Alan Wilson

    Alan Wilson Guest

    why dont you try cleaning your breaking surface with metho or something....when something squeals it
    usually means its dirty

    VP <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0BBE96.40EE8%[email protected]...
    > My front brakes, even after resetting them 3 times, still make the sound
    of
    > a moaning cow at a bullfight.
    >
    > New rims, sanded pads, reset so TOE-IN (first to touch rim, not the heel). What am I doing wrong?

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  20. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Alan Wilson,

    > why dont you try cleaning your breaking surface with metho or something....when something squeals
    > it usually means its dirty

    I have sanded it many times.