stupid cooking shows

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dawn, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge along
    with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box of taco
    shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on hand I would
    be making tacos and not scrounging through the bins looking
    for supper. That's not leftovers, that's a meal plan.

    I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some dill
    dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.

    Dawn who definitely needs to go grocery shopping tomorrow

    Tags:

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    Dawn wrote:

    >I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >of taco shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on
    >hand I would be making tacos and not scrounging through
    >the bins looking for supper. That's not leftovers, that's
    >a meal plan.
    >
    >I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    >something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    >broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    >steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    >dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.

    Mmm. Split open the potato and stuff it with cheese,
    broccoli and either ham or chicken. Or skip the cheese
    and use the dill dip. Heat the whole thing up. Sounds
    better than tacos to me.

    Naomi D.

  3. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    Dawn wrote:

    > I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    > something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    > broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    > steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    > dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.

    We've had weeks like that too. There was one Alton Brown
    show about what one *must* keep on the shelves. What's the
    culinary adventure in that? Lay the chicken on plastic wrap
    on the stove which will act like a heat sink and it will
    thaw pretty quick; chop or slice when you can. Sounds like
    you got the makings for a nice frittata (I used to call them
    omelets, but omelets get folded over & I like my stuff all
    mixed in. The stuff ya larn watchin' tv.) Add ketchup. Or
    dill dip. Edrena

  4. Saerah

    Saerah Guest

    Dawn wrote in message ...
    >I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >of taco shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on
    >hand I would be making tacos and not scrounging through
    >the bins looking for supper. That's not leftovers, that's
    >a meal plan.
    >
    >I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    >something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    >broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    >steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    >dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.

    i'd cut up one or both of the meats, saute them until done.
    add veggies and a sauce made from whatever condiments and
    spices are around. top with cheese.

    or maybe order a pizza :)

    --
    Saerah

    TANSTAAFL

    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing
    swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
    power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
    farcical aquatic ceremony."

  5. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:49:35 GMT, Dawn <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >of taco shells or tortillas.

    Check out some of the diet plans in a supermarket magazine
    sometime. Breakfast on day 1 is a slice of pumpernickel, a
    wedge of Gouda and a quarter canteloupe.. Day 2 is a slice
    of raisin toast, half a banana, and an HB egg. Day 3 is half
    a bagel, 1Tblsp of cream cheese, and a cup of strawberries.
    Etc., etc. By the end of the week, you have a 'fridge full
    of loaves of bread, moldering fruit, and open cheese
    packets. And this is just breakfast! OTOH, I suppose they're
    just supposed to be suggestions.

    As for leftovers in ingredient lists, *my* favorite is 2
    cups of "leftover" diced, cooked chicken breast.

  6. Deacon

    Deacon Guest

    wrote:

    >I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >of taco shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on
    >hand I would be making tacos and not scrounging through
    >the bins looking for supper. That's not leftovers, that's
    >a meal plan.
    >
    >I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    >something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    >broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    >steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    >dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.
    >

    >Dawn who definitely needs to go grocery shopping tomorrow

    The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute it to
    Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate) began with:

    "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"

    Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

  7. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    > happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    > along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    > of taco shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on
    > hand I would be making tacos and not scrounging through
    > the bins looking for supper. That's not leftovers, that's
    > a meal plan.
    >
    > I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    > something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    > broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    > steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    > dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.
    >

    > Dawn who definitely needs to go grocery shopping tomorrow

    Shoots, and what do I have in my 'fridge? Tortillas, carrots
    and fresh ginger. That's it. Can't do much with that. I
    don't even have a stick of butter or some cheese.

    kilikini :-(

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Naomi Darvell wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Dawn wrote:
    >

    >> I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >> happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >> along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >> of taco shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on
    >> hand I would be making tacos and not scrounging through
    >> the bins looking for supper. That's not leftovers, that's
    >> a meal plan.
    >>
    >> I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    >> something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    >> broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    >> steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    >> dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.
    >>

    > Mmm. Split open the potato and stuff it with cheese,
    > broccoli and either ham or chicken. Or skip the
    > cheese and use the dill dip. Heat the whole thing up.
    > Sounds better than tacos to me.
    >
    > Naomi D.

    I was just thinking, crap... baked potatoes and broccoli and
    cheese and she is asking what to do with this stuff? <G>

    Jill

  9. Mike Beede

    Mike Beede Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Naomi Darvell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mmm. Split open the potato and stuff it with cheese,
    > broccoli and either ham or chicken. Or skip the
    > cheese and use the dill dip. Heat the whole thing up.
    > Sounds better than tacos to me.

    Not if you're more than one person. The frittata suggestion
    has the virtue of stretching things....

    Mike Beede

  10. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Deacon wrote:

    > The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute it to
    > Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate) began with:
    >
    > "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
    >
    > Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

    I had to laugh, I saw that on some show just a week or so
    ago. Too funny. Another one was Giada (?) when she made
    something with 'leftover' spaghetti. She pulls out a
    container of uncooked dry spaghetti. Huh? What's leftover
    about that? If that's the case, I have a pantry full of
    leftover pasta.

    nancy

  11. Deacon <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:49:35 GMT, Dawn <d-
    > [email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >>happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >>along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >>of taco shells or tortillas. Gee, if I had all that on
    >>hand I would be making tacos and not scrounging through
    >>the bins looking for supper. That's not leftovers, that's
    >>a meal plan.
    >>
    >>I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
    >>something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
    >>broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
    >>steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
    >>dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.
    >>

    >>Dawn who definitely needs to go grocery shopping tomorrow
    >>

    > The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute it to
    > Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate) began with:
    >
    > "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
    >
    > Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

    That's about the same as "start with a half pound of
    leftover pate de fois gras! :)

    Wayne

  12. "Deacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute it to
    > Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate) began with:
    >
    > "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
    >
    > Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

    Wasn't that The Barefoot Contessa or one of those shows that
    features festivals around the country? I know the show they
    had on the lobster festival was a hoot for the rest of us.
    Everyone one at the festival had leftover lobster. Janet

  13. Mike Beede

    Mike Beede Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Check out some of the diet plans in a supermarket magazine
    > sometime. Breakfast on day 1 is a slice of pumpernickel, a
    > wedge of Gouda and a quarter canteloupe.. Day 2 is a slice
    > of raisin toast, half a banana, and an HB egg. Day 3 is
    > half a bagel, 1Tblsp of cream cheese, and a cup of
    > strawberries. Etc., etc. By the end of the week, you have
    > a 'fridge full of loaves of bread, moldering fruit, and
    > open cheese packets. And this is just breakfast! OTOH, I
    > suppose they're just supposed to be suggestions.

    I never thought of it before, but it sounds like the old
    "rinse, lather, and repeat" strategy in action. If someone's
    dumb enough to go for it, you sell a lot of extra food.

    Mike Beede

  14. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:03:24 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:49:35 GMT, Dawn <d-
    >[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I know you've seen them. What you can do if you *just
    >>happen* to have a pound of leftover beef in the fridge
    >>along with, oh, some fresh tomatoes and peppers and a box
    >>of taco shells or tortillas.
    >
    >Check out some of the diet plans in a supermarket magazine
    >sometime. Breakfast on day 1 is a slice of pumpernickel, a
    >wedge of Gouda and a quarter canteloupe.. Day 2 is a slice
    >of raisin toast, half a banana, and an HB egg. Day 3 is
    >half a bagel, 1Tblsp of cream cheese, and a cup of
    >strawberries. Etc., etc. By the end of the week, you have a
    >'fridge full of loaves of bread, moldering fruit, and open
    >cheese packets. And this is just breakfast! OTOH, I suppose
    >they're just supposed to be suggestions.

    I've noticed that too!

    >As for leftovers in ingredient lists, *my* favorite is 2
    >cups of "leftover" diced, cooked chicken breast.

    Really? When I make chicken I cook a couple of extra breasts
    for such recipes.

  15. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:49:37 GMT, Deacon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute it to
    >Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate) began with:
    >
    >"Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
    >
    >Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

    We have leftover lobster (and leftover scallops, shrimp,
    haddock, clams) after Christmas Eve. :>

    OTOH, that's the only time we have it.

  16. "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    snip>
    > Shoots, and what do I have in my 'fridge? Tortillas,
    > carrots and fresh ginger. That's it. Can't do much with
    > that. I don't even have a stick
    of
    > butter or some cheese.
    >
    > kilikini :-(

    Darn! You can't even make the following soup. From "How To
    Cook Everything," by Mark Bittman.

    Soup

    "Boiled Water"

    4 cups water 6 to 10 cloves garlic, lightly crushed 1 bay
    leaf salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 4 thick slices French or
    Italian bread (slightly stale bread is fine)
    2/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
    Minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish

    Combine the first four ingredients in a saucepan or stockpot
    and bring to a boil. Cover partially and turn the heat to
    very low. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.

    While the soup is cooking, place the olive oil in a large
    skillet over medium heat. Brown the slices of bread in the
    oil, turning occasionally; for a total of about 5 minutes.

    Put the bread in bowls and top with the grated cheese.
    Strain the soup into the bowls, garnish, and serve.

    Janet

  17. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Naomi Darvell wrote:
    >>
    >>Mmm. Split open the potato and stuff it with cheese,
    >> broccoli and either ham or chicken. Or skip the
    >> cheese and use the dill dip. Heat the whole thing up.
    >> Sounds better than tacos to me.
    >>
    >>Naomi D.
    >

    > I was just thinking, crap... baked potatoes and
    > broccoli and cheese and she is asking what to do with
    > this stuff? <G>
    >
    > Jill

    LOL! I think my problem was I was looking at about a half
    serving of anything and needed to feed two. Well, I rose to
    the occasion. Grabbed some onion and some cream and made
    broccoli cheddar soup. Cut the chicken into 'fingers' so it
    would cook fast and I could split the pieces between the two
    of us, and browned them in the skillet with seasoning. I
    just nuked the potato and ate it because my husband didn't
    want any. He had most of the pan of soup, though.

    I think I'll put the ham in some eggs in the morning.

    Dawn

  18. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Nancy Young <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Deacon wrote:
    >
    >> The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute
    >> it to Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate)
    >> began with:
    >>
    >> "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
    >>
    >> Not in this house.....there is never left over
    >> lobster....
    >
    > I had to laugh, I saw that on some show just a week or so
    > ago. Too funny. Another one was Giada (?) when she made
    > something with 'leftover' spaghetti. She pulls out a
    > container of uncooked dry spaghetti. Huh? What's leftover
    > about that? If that's the case, I have a pantry full of
    > leftover pasta.
    >
    > nancy

    ROFL... No lobster left over here either. It's more like
    left over baked/grilled chicken or maybe a roast. I saw that
    show you posted about. Was that stupid or what? Not one
    damned left over and ya' can't cook the left overs the same
    as the fresh stuff.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  19. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

  20. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Dawn wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Naomi Darvell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Mmm. Split open the potato and stuff it with cheese,
    >>> broccoli and either ham or chicken. Or skip the
    >>> cheese and use the dill dip. Heat the whole thing
    >>> up. Sounds better than tacos to me.
    >>>
    >>> Naomi D.
    >>

    >> I was just thinking, crap... baked potatoes and
    >> broccoli and cheese and she is asking what to do with
    >> this stuff? <G>
    >>
    >> Jill
    >
    > LOL! I think my problem was I was looking at about a half
    > serving of anything and needed to feed two. Well, I rose
    > to the occasion. Grabbed some onion and some cream and
    > made broccoli cheddar soup. Cut the chicken into
    > 'fingers' so it would cook fast and I could split the
    > pieces between the two of us, and browned them in the
    > skillet with seasoning. I just nuked the potato and ate
    > it because my husband didn't want any. He had most of the
    > pan of soup, though.
    >
    > I think I'll put the ham in some eggs in the morning.
    >

    > Dawn

    OOOOH! I love broccoli cheddar soup! Good going, Dawn!

    Jill