stupid cooking shows

"Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Naomi Darvell wrote:
> >>
> >>Mmm. Split open the potato and stuff it with cheese,
> >> broccoli and either ham or chicken. Or skip the
> >> cheese and use the dill dip. Heat the whole thing
> >> up. Sounds better than tacos to me.
> >>
> >>Naomi D.
> >

> > I was just thinking, ****... baked potatoes and broccoli
> > and cheese and
she
> > is asking what to do with this stuff? <G>
> >
> > Jill
>
> LOL! I think my problem was I was looking at about a half
> serving of anything and needed to feed two. Well, I rose
> to the occasion. Grabbed some onion and some cream and
> made broccoli cheddar soup. Cut the chicken into
> 'fingers' so it would cook fast and I could split the
> pieces between the two of us, and browned them in the
> skillet with seasoning. I just nuked the potato and ate
> it because my husband didn't want any. He had most of the
> pan of soup, though.
>
> I think I'll put the ham in some eggs in the morning.

Damn, you should be on TV!

Jack Nielsen

Curly Sue wrote:

> We have leftover lobster (and leftover scallops, shrimp,
> haddock, clams) after Christmas Eve. :>
>
> OTOH, that's the only time we have it.

Well, you'd have loved the one last month where you start
with 4 cups of 'leftover' white rice (are you kidding? Who
makes that much rice?) and 'leftover' clams, shrimp, etc.
(sure, at the end of the week who doesn't have half a
pound of extra clams in the back of the fridge) and go on
to make paella.

Although I know people who will take any kind of leftover
meat and vegetables and make 'stir-fry'. Whatever you feel
like eating, I guess.

Dawn

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:55:04 GMT, Dawn <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>

>> We have leftover lobster (and leftover scallops, shrimp,
>> haddock, clams) after Christmas Eve. :>
>>
>> OTOH, that's the only time we have it.
>
>Well, you'd have loved the one last month where you start
>with 4 cups of 'leftover' white rice (are you kidding? Who
>makes that much rice?) and 'leftover' clams, shrimp, etc.
>(sure, at the end of the week who doesn't have half a
>pound of extra clams in the back of the fridge) and go on
>to make paella.
>
>Although I know people who will take any kind of leftover
>meat and vegetables and make 'stir-fry'. Whatever you feel
>like eating, I guess.

Hmmm, is there something wrong with it?

Dawn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
> something for a leftover baked potato, some cold steamed
> broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham
> steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There might be some
> dill dip left in there too. Those are leftovers.

I love a challenge like that. It's all about creativity. I
would sautee the ham and the (now cooked because you poached
it)chicken in some butter or EVOO. We assume there's a bit
of cooking fat around? If not don't sautee it. Bake the
potato, scoop out the innards, mix innards with the dill dip
and (sauteed) cooked meats, season it to taste, mound back
into shells, sprinkle with cheese and re-bake. Serve the
cold broccoli on the side as a salad, dressed with
vinaigrette.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:01:49 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> kc.rr.com...

> > I want to see one of those fancy TV cooks come up with
> > something for a leftover baked potato, some cold
> > steamed broccoli, half a cup of grated cheese, about 4
> > oz of ham steak, and a frozen chicken breast. There
> > might be some dill dip left in there too. Those are
> > leftovers.
> >

> > Dawn who definitely needs to go grocery shopping
> > tomorrow
> >

> Shoots, and what do I have in my 'fridge? Tortillas,
> carrots and fresh ginger. That's it. Can't do much with
> that. I don't even have a stick of butter or some cheese.
>
> kilikini :-(

Good lord, it never got that bad for me - even when I was
single and ate out almost every day of the week!

I don't know of a web site that you can to use to make meals
out of what's available in the fridge.... but there's a fun
web site that (unfortunately I didn't bookmark when I found
it) into which you can input "spirit 1" and "spirit 2" and
it figures out what drinks you can make with odd
bottles of booze:

Deacon <[email protected]> wrote in message SNIP> >
> The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute it to
> Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate) began with:
>
> "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
>
> Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

Shoot, at my house, there's never two cups of lobster,
period. Let alone two cups of left-over lobster. I think
that recipe belongs to a person in a slightly different tax
bracket than mine. =o) Even Julia Child economized on
lobster by making lobster souffle on Julia Child and More
Company. However, I have NEVER felt that Julia Child's
various cooking shows were ever stupid. I like how she can
cook and talk at once while facing a TV camera, and still
look competent and at ease. My favorite Julia Child moment
was seeing her whip out a blow torch to caramelize the top
of some incredibly elaborate crepe and apple dessert she'd
made. I always get indignant at the end when her arm doesn't
come through the TV screen with a plate of whatever it is
she's cooked for ME.

Not really in the same vein, but I have to admit, Martin Yan
drives me a little crazy. I'd happily eat (almost)anything
he prepared, but I always feel he's trying too hard to be
cute and funny.

Melissa

"Melissa Houle" wrote;
> Shoot, at my house, there's never two cups of lobster,
> period. Let alone two cups of left-over lobster. I think
> that recipe belongs to a person in a slightly different
> tax bracket than mine. =o) Even Julia Child economized on
> lobster by making lobster souffle on Julia Child and More
> Company. However, I have NEVER felt that Julia Child's
> various cooking shows were ever stupid. I like how she can
> cook and talk at once while facing a TV camera, and still
> look competent and at ease. My favorite Julia Child moment
> was seeing her whip out a blow torch to caramelize the top
> of some incredibly elaborate crepe and apple dessert she'd
> made. I always get indignant at the end when her arm
> doesn't come through the TV screen with a plate of
> whatever it is she's cooked for ME.

I have always loved Julia and would kill for a *complete*
set of tapes of The French Chef. For the entertainment value
alone, no price would be too high.

> Not really in the same vein, but I have to admit, Martin
> Yan drives me a little crazy. I'd happily eat
> (almost)anything he prepared, but I always feel he's
> trying too hard to be cute and funny.

That massive fake The Barefoot Contessa, and Giada
DiLaurentis both try too hard. There are times, when I see
her in the right light and from the right angle that Giada
gives me flashes of what young Phyllis Diller must have
looked like, but that's off the subject of cooking. Giada's
ineptitude shows up loud and clear when she cooks with
someone else, such as the episode when she cooked with her
(?) aunt. And the flubbery Contessa (actually the name of a
gourmet food store she no longer owns), who seems to
specialize in cooking "for Geoffrey... it's for Geoffrey...
Geoffrey will love
this...Geoffrey...Geoffrey...Geoffrey........" should maybe
spend less time showing off the number of wine bottles in
her refrigerator, move her kitchen flour canister to a less
obviously out of the way place and at least appear to use
it, and never again make a waddle through her landscaped
herb garden part of the show.

<But at least her kitchen, appliances and furnishings don't
change color with every episode, a la Sandra Lee

"Pennyaline" <[email protected]>
deliciously posted in news:j%[email protected]:

> I have always loved Julia and would kill for a *complete*
> set of tapes of The French Chef. For the entertainment
> value alone, no price would be too high.

The SO loves any of those tapes. I love 'em also. Julia
drank the wine and made huge messes in the kitchen. SO asks
me "So why does Martha Stewart never make a mess"... cracked
me up. You should see the kitchen when I'm in cook mode. I
thinks it would be easier to leave it and move rather than
clean it. Can you tell I'm not organized ;)

> That massive fake The Barefoot Contessa, and Giada
> DiLaurentis both try too hard.

I have to agree here. Contessa was doing a Mediterranean(sp)
thing the other day. All she did was marinate some lamb. Her
friend decorated the tables outside etc.

> There are times, when I see her in the right light and
> from the right angle that Giada gives me flashes of what
> young Phyllis Diller must have looked like, but that's off
> the subject of cooking. Giada's ineptitude shows up loud
> and clear when she cooks with someone else, such as the
> episode when she cooked with her (?) aunt. And the
> flubbery Contessa (actually the name of a gourmet food
> store she no longer owns), who seems to specialize in
> cooking "for Geoffrey... it's for Geoffrey... Geoffrey
> will love this...Geoffrey...Geoffrey...Geoffrey........"
> should maybe spend less time showing off the number of
> wine bottles in her refrigerator, move her kitchen flour
> canister to a less obviously out of the way place and at
> least appear to use it, and never again make a waddle
> through her landscaped herb garden part of the show.
>
> <But at least her kitchen, appliances and furnishings
> don't change color with every episode, a la Sandra Lee>

I don't care much for Rachel Ray either. She yaps,
yaps, yaps but does have some decent recipes that are
easy to prepare.

Speaking of the props. Years ago I was totally crushed when
I found out a lot of the nature shows I watched were
actually filmed at zoos in the US. I was that stupid. I
thought the Amazon shows were actually filmed in the Amazon.
I thank my friend Debby (she owns a company that manages
animals for film and commercials)for bursting *that* bubble
when she did a commercial in my condo swimming pool.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

Pennyaline wrote:

> <But at least her kitchen, appliances and furnishings
> don't change color with every episode, a la Sandra Lee>

That cracked me up, at first I thought ... wasn't that chair
red? A couple of weeks later I wondered, just how many
slipcovers to they have for that thing. Also, she's so thin
and the chair is so big, creates an odd optical illusion.

nancy

leftover baked potato, some cold steamed broccoli, half a
cup of grated cheese, about 4 oz of ham steak, and a frozen
chicken breast. There might be some dill dip left in there
too. Those are leftovers.
With that much left overs you got a pretty good meal there.
::Remember you are only limited by your imagination. Baked
Tater :) Mash it up good ,a dash of onion powder , salt ,
one egg or 2 if you like eggs,form into patties, then fry in
what ever oil you like ,i like bacon grease. Ham::Throw it
in the skillet , then put in about 1/4 cup of good strong
coffee, (you got a cup left over from breakfast) don=91t
cook all the liquids away , you=91ll need a spoonful or 2 to
put over the ham as a sauce. The cheese & broccoli::what
kind ? no matter,,grate the cheese sprinkle over the
broccoli , spoon the dill dip over it , then pop in the
microwave. So what we have for supper is::: Ham with redeye
sauce,potato patties with a little dill topping,broccoli
cheese, you wouldn=92t happen to have a left over glass of
montarey reisling. Where did the chicken go ? you can cook
it up for Rover , I don=92t eat those nasty =92ol dead
birds,yuk!

Lee.

On 13 Mar 2004 21:17:48 -0800, [email protected] (Melissa
Houle) wrote:

> Not really in the same vein, but I have to admit, Martin
> Yan drives me a little crazy. I'd happily eat
> (almost)anything he prepared, but I always feel he's
> trying too hard to be cute and funny.

He kept my daughter entertained as a 3 - 12 year old (it was
"appointment" television for her in those days). She ignored
all the cooking shows except his, which kept her glued to
the set... she's 24 now and he's still on TV.

'Nough said?

Deacon wrote:

> "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
>
> Not in this house.....there is never left over lobster....

Hmmmm..... I can't imagine leftover lobster, unless the
people in the house don't like lobster. And in that case,
why bother to serve it to them again?

I caught a bit of the Barefoot Contessa the other day.

She was using a chimney starter to get her grill going. So
far so good.

It was "Match Light."

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -->
http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

"How can any culture that has more lawyers than butchers
call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

Nancy Young saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:12:39 -0500:

>Deacon wrote:
>
>> The recipe I always found funny (I want to attribute
>> it to Martha Stewart, but that may not be accurate)
>> began with:
>>
>> "Start with 2 cups of leftover lobster"
>>
>> Not in this house.....there is never left over
>> lobster....
>
>I had to laugh, I saw that on some show just a week or so
>ago. Too funny. Another one was Giada (?) when she made
>something with 'leftover' spaghetti. She pulls out a
>container of uncooked dry spaghetti. Huh? What's leftover
>about that? If that's the case, I have a pantry full of
>leftover pasta.

Maybe she meant the quarter of a packet that always seems to
be 'left over' once you've boiled up a pot for four
adults... the whole packet is too much but half seems to be
a bit skimpy. I save the extras till I've used three packs
and then put them together for the fourth meal...

As for leftover chicken, if there IS any around here
it's called breakfast! ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of
shiny things...

Made as of 11 March 2004 - 41 cards, 23 SB pages (plus 2
small giftbooks), 42 decos, 10FBs

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
Eating Recipe Swap:
Aussies Mailing List:

Kajikit wrote:

> Nancy Young saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore
> and told us

> >I had to laugh, I saw that on some show just a week or so
> >ago. Too funny. Another one was Giada (?) when she made
> >something with 'leftover' spaghetti. She pulls out a
> >container of uncooked dry spaghetti. Huh? What's leftover
> >about that? If that's the case, I have a pantry full of
> >leftover pasta.
>
> Maybe she meant the quarter of a packet that always seems
> to be 'left over' once you've boiled up a pot for four
> adults... the whole packet is too much but half seems to
> be a bit skimpy. I save the extras till I've used three
> packs and then put them together for the fourth meal...

Of course that's what she meant, but it's like saying ...
say I bought sugar to make cookies, used two cups (whatever)
... the rest of the sugar I put in the pantry, it's not
leftovers. Same with pasta. If you see recipes for leftover
pasta, it's cooked. That's leftovers.

nancy

Kajikit <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Maybe she meant the quarter of a packet that always seems
> to be 'left over' once you've boiled up a pot for four
> adults... the whole packet is too much but half seems to
> be a bit skimpy. I save the extras till I've used three
> packs and then put them together for the fourth meal...

I usually cook pasta for two adults. I weigh out how much I
know we should eat (four ounces), and cook only that amount.

Cindy Hamilton

sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 13 Mar 2004 21:17:48 -0800, [email protected]
> (Melissa Houle) wrote:
>
> > Not really in the same vein, but I have to admit,
> > Martin Yan drives me a little crazy. I'd happily eat
> > (almost)anything he prepared, but I always feel he's
> > trying too hard to be cute and funny.
> >

> He kept my daughter entertained as a 3 - 12 year old (it
> was "appointment" television for her in those days). She
> ignored all the cooking shows except his, which kept her
> glued to the set... she's 24 now and he's still on TV.
>
> 'Nough said?
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Plainly, he's more of a hit with your daughter than he is
with me. =o) It's simply my personal preference speaking.
I am not saying "Yan Can Cook" is a bad show, and Martin
Yan has certainly made a success of his TV cooking career.
I just think he tries a bit too hard for my individual
taste. I have something of the same feeling about The
Frugal Gourmet. It's a feeling I never got while watching
Julia Child.

Melissa

On 18 Mar 2004 05:50:16 -0800, Cindy hamilton wrote:

> I weigh out how much I know we should eat

But is that the amount you *want* to eat?
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could
understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

Cindy hamilton wrote:

> I usually cook pasta for two adults. I weigh out how
> much I know we should eat (four ounces), and cook only
> that amount.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What if someone wants more? That sounds stingy. I'm one to
make plenty and I'll deal with leftovers anytime over
leaving someone wanting. That's just me though. Goomba

> > Maybe she meant the quarter of a packet that always
> > seems to be 'left over' once you've boiled up a pot for
> > four adults... the whole packet is too much but half
> > seems to be a bit skimpy. I save the extras till I've
> > used three packs and then put them together for the
> > fourth meal...
>
> I usually cook pasta for two adults. I weigh out how
> much I know we should eat (four ounces), and cook only
> that amount.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

i wonder how many of these "4oz's isn't enough for a meal"
people could stand to shed some weight?